XPEnology Community

How can I transform a failed DS1815+ into an expansion unit?

bulisor007

I'm having a failed DS1815+ unit (CPU died most likely) and I was wondering if it can be transformed into an expansion unit like DX517. The PSU is still working and I don't believe that the electronic part in an expansion unit is that complex so I may repurpose the failed unit to an expansion unit.

Any thoughts?

IMHO you would have to scrap the 1815 board and somehow interface the backplane to an existing multi-port eSATA controller?  So you would also need a donor expansion unit. When I have taken apart lower-end Syno units, the backplane cable to the main board was not something I recognized.

Probably more trouble than it's worth, especially with the existence of cases like U-NAS 810a etc.

8 hours ago, bulisor007 said:

was wondering if it can be transformed into an expansion unit like DX517

afaik these units use sata multiplexer and a special (synology) firmware, dsm will not work with a multiplexer, only when its a specific chip and has the right firmware

even with xpenology we cant use multiplexer as there was no one with the know how and the need to do it

synology introduced this ~2012 (?)

the best link about details i know is this

https://community.synology.com/enu/forum/17/post/54396

12 hours ago, bulisor007 said:

Currently I'm looking for an USB adapter to be able to read the DOM module

thr pinout look like a normal usb2 onboard thats on most systemboards, you could try it in a normal system if there is enough room to plugin it in (as its not mechanical coded keep a eye on the small triangle, thats the one)

just check it against the manual of your systemboard to compare it

I've managed to read the DSM boot disk with the use of 4 breadboard jumper wires. The strange thing is that even though the disk seems to be with no errors and the first partition is marked as bootable, I was not able to boot my computer with that disk. I don't know if this is normal or not, I was still expecting to see some boot messages on the screen then to stop the process with an error message that the hardware is not Synology.

Synology3.jpg

Syno_partitions.jpg

9 hours ago, bulisor007 said:

I was not able to boot my computer with that disk. I don't know if this is normal or not, I was still expecting to see some boot messages on the screen then to stop the process with an error message that the hardware is not Synology.

the messages you see with xpenology are from juns loader, you might see nothing with a normal original loader, you might see something with a serial console

and even if it boots it might be a short process and might stop shortly after starting the kernel and there might never anything to find in network as the nic driver is missing or the protection kicks in because some pci id's are missing (that would be present on the original hardware)

imho you cant say that for sure with just that little test

i don't know how deep you looked into the atom cpu (intel) desaster, it was a degrading process and even the resistor was only slowing it down, all damage already done could not be reversed and if a cpu started to have problems there was slight chance it might come up again with the fix but in that degraded state its likely to fail later

mine never woke up again and the whole system board was useless as the cpu could not be changed (new system has a socket again)