XPEnology Community

HP54L start from scratch

vince85

Good afternoon, I year ago I lost one disk and then I add no time to restart. I managed to recover all my data from different backups I did from time to time.

In past I used exsxi and now I would like to start a new one without exsci to speed up my system and in New DSM we can run a Linux or windows VM if I well understood.

so could you tell me which Tuto I should follow as I have to say that I am considering as a beginner !

thanks for your help

NAS performance is not significantly affected for baremetal versus virtualized.  You should determine your installation platform for other factors that are important to you.

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

When you have figured out how and what to install, use one of these links to guide you:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7973-tutorial-installmigrate-dsm-52-to-61x-juns-loader/

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13061-tutorial-install-dsm-62-on-esxi-67/

Unfortunately, you will not be able to run the Virtual Machine Manager on the AMD processor on the N54L. This means that if you want to run multiple operating systems on the box, then it is probably best to carry on with ESXi. There is a thread on here about running virtualbox under DSM but I can't say whether that is a viable option.

I started running my box under ESXi and went bare metal when DSM was the only thing left on the box. I didn't notice any significant speed difference.

The latest version that the N54L will run is 6.2.3 with the 1.03b DS3617xs loader and that works for both bare metal and virtualised. You must turn off C1E in the BIOS.

If you are going bare metal and disk hibernation is important then maybe start with 6.1.7 and 1.02b. Bear in mind that if you go this route and you install a package that touches the disk regularly (as I have) then the disks won't hibernate anyway.

Ignore all discussion about the releases in between 6.1.7 and 6.2.3.

13 hours ago, billat29 said:

The latest version that the N54L will run is 6.2.3 with the 1.03b DS3617xs loader and that works for both bare metal and virtualised. You must turn off C1E in the BIOS.

Good morning  @billat29, could you precise the meaning of latest 6.2.3 ? Does it mean that no more new version of DSM will be able to run on N54L ? Or does it mean that today this is the only version available ?

Then previously If I well remember ESXi is not working after version 6 ? Where I can check this ? Then When I tried to load the free ESXi license I did not managed to get it ! Could you tell me how to get it ? Do you have a link or a tuto ?

6.2.3 is the latest release of DSM that is generally available for Synology devices. There is a version 7 in beta and expected to be released soon.

6.2.3 works on N54L. V7 does not currently work on any xpenology device as a new loader will need to be developed and we have no idea whether this will happen. We also do not know if a possible future loader for V7 would work on N54L.

I would expect that, after the general release of V7, Synology would maintain V6 for a time (just like they did for V5 when V6 came out) and these versions would probably (not definitely) be made to work on N54L.

I can't be of much help with ESXi. There are threads on here which are home to the people who are running it. You can also look through the 6.2.3 update thread to see if you come across anyone reporting installation on Gen7 under ESXi.

• 1 year later...

Good morning Dear Billat29, I have been a while occupied while I was relocated ! And I never managed to restore my old HP54L ! I wondering if it is good to go for this old server or shall I go for a new machine that allowed VM W10 or 11 with graphic capabilities !

If I go for 54L, is there any new advices to restore Xpenology on this machine ? Which version ? And I have to say that I forgot everything ! Is there a step by step tuto that I could follow ?

My old N54L is still running. From other forum posts, there are a lot of people running them. All I have had to do to it (so far) is change the BIOS battery. Some people have had fan failures.

If you want anything advanced, like transcoding,, then you need to seek a box with a later Intel processor but it is perfectly good for more basic tasks.

Mine is still running 6.2.3 with the jun loader. I successfully installed 7.0.1 with the redpill loader but found I had some work to do to upgrade / replace some of the old packages for version 7. So it all went on hold.

The latest DSM version is 7.1 and there are reports  here of successful installation. So I would give it a try, post any issues in the appropriate forum rather than here.

A couple of tutorials:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/61634-dsm-7x-loaders-and-platforms/

Those who have reported success so far have used the DS3615xs platform

and

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/60130-redpill-tinycore-loader-installation-guide-for-dsm-71-baremetal/

Good Luck!

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/15/2022 at 3:59 PM, billat29 said:

My old N54L is still running. From other forum posts, there are a lot of people running them. All I have had to do to it (so far) is change the BIOS battery. Some people have had fan failures.

If you want anything advanced, like transcoding,, then you need to seek a box with a later Intel processor but it is perfectly good for more basic tasks.

Mine is still running 6.2.3 with the jun loader. I successfully installed 7.0.1 with the redpill loader but found I had some work to do to upgrade / replace some of the old packages for version 7. So it all went on hold.

The latest DSM version is 7.1 and there are reports  here of successful installation. So I would give it a try, post any issues in the appropriate forum rather than here.

A couple of tutorials:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/61634-dsm-7x-loaders-and-platforms/

Those who have reported success so far have used the DS3615xs platform

and

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/60130-redpill-tinycore-loader-installation-guide-for-dsm-71-baremetal/

Good Luck!

Hi billat29, I saw your N54L has upgraded to 7.1. Mine is also N54L but running on a very old version of 'DSM 5.0-4493 Update 7' as 'DS3612xs'. These days I could't figured out the accurate way of installing/upgrading to 6.X/7.XMy until I got here. My N54L HW config is below. I have went through some threads about 7.X and there're some questions I want to consultant you:

CPU:AMD Turion(tm) II Neo N54L Dual-Core Processor
Mem:4GB
Attached devices:
Vendor: WDC      Model: WD6401AALS slot 1
Vendor: ATA      Model: ST6000VN0021 slot 2
Vendor: ATA      Model: ST4000NM0033 slot 4, so slot 3 currently is empty
Vendor: USB      Model: Apacer Disk for booting up
NIC: should be embedded 1000M nic
USB: inserted 1 USB 3.0 card

1. Since I have 3 HDDs full of data on DSM 5.0, I don't think it's a easy work of upgrading 5.0 to 6.X then to 7.X. I can accept (my only choice I guess:)) of using another USB drive and slot 3 for another HDD to fresh install DSM 7.1. But after the installation, I can plugin the 3 HDDs to have the data back, right?

2. Do you use SATA SSA as the cache disk? I check mine and it should have 6 SATA ports (the 5th port is available and the 6th should be the eSATA port).

homenas> dmesg | grep SATA
[    2.116735] ahci 0000:00:11.0: AHCI 0001.0200 32 slots 6 ports 3 Gbps 0x3f impl SATA mode
[    2.150794] ata1: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m1024@0xfd1ffc00 port 0xfd1ffd00 irq 43
[    2.150800] ata2: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m1024@0xfd1ffc00 port 0xfd1ffd80 irq 43
[    2.150803] ata3: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m1024@0xfd1ffc00 port 0xfd1ffe00 irq 43
[    2.150807] ata4: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m1024@0xfd1ffc00 port 0xfd1ffe80 irq 43
[    2.150810] ata5: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m1024@0xfd1ffc00 port 0xfd1fff00 irq 43
[    2.150813] ata6: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m1024@0xfd1ffc00 port 0xfd1fff80 irq 43
[    5.017032] ata6: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
[    5.119128] ata3: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
[    5.119174] ata5: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
[    5.274105] ata2: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl 300)
[    5.274135] ata1: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl 300)
[    5.290089] syno_disk_type_get: SATA syno_port_type 1
[    5.296317] syno_disk_type_get: SATA syno_port_type 1
[    5.325110] ata4: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl 300)
[    5.332868] syno_disk_type_get: SATA syno_port_type 1

3. I guess all I need to do is to follow the instructions below, right?

Thanks in advance!

35 minutes ago, justinavril said:

Hi billat29, I saw your N54L has upgraded to 7.1. Mine is also N54L but running on a very old version of 'DSM 5.0-4493 Update 7' as 'DS3612xs'. These days I could't figured out the accurate way of installing/upgrading to 6.X/7.XMy until I got here. My N54L HW config is below. I have went through some threads about 7.X and there're some questions I want to consultant you:

1. Since I have 3 HDDs full of data on DSM 5.0, I don't think it's a easy work of upgrading 5.0 to 6.X then to 7.X. I can accept (my only choice I guess:)) of using another USB drive and slot 3 for another HDD to fresh install DSM 7.1. But after the installation, I can plugin the 3 HDDs to have the data back, right?

2. Do you use SATA SSA as the cache disk? I check mine and it should have 6 SATA ports (the 5th port is available and the 6th should be the eSATA port).

3. I guess all I need to do is to follow the instructions below, right?

Thanks in advance!

This should be fun :-)

a. I hope you have a backup of your data. I guess you don't! I really, really would try to see if you can find a way to secure your data.

b. I don't have SSD cache

c. If you build a new system on HDD and introduce your old disks, DSM tends to want to reformat them. So we need to work out how to update your system safely using your existing data

d. If you have another HDD that you can play with, then that's good as your can trial the upgrade before risking your data.

e. What's connected to the USB 3.0 card? DSM 7.1 removes a lot of support for USB devices.

f. You also need to check the packages you have installed in DSM 5.0 to see whether they are supported (or replaced) in DSM 7.1.

g. I have no idea whether it is possible to take DSM 5.0 drives out of a real DS3612xs and put them into a real DS3622xs and install DSM 7.1 in one step. So we would need to trial that.

h. What's the 640Gb disk for? It's a bit old and small....

Have I put you off yet?

Depending the results of e. and f. You might consider just going to 6.2.3.

If you have already or can make a full backup of all your data, I might be tempted to wipe it all clean and start a new, fresh installation.

If not, then I would do the following:

Remove all the old drives and set them aside. Keep them safe. leave the drive with your loader on it in the machine.

Insert your "extra" blank disk and create a new 5.0-4493 U7 system. If you don't have a copy of the right DSM locally, you can find it on the Synology Download center.

Create a volume and some folders. Upload a file or two.

Set your loader disk aside. Keep it safe.

Follow the DSM 7.1 tutorial to create a new 7.1 loader.

Now. boot it and see if you can find it in Synology assistant.

What options do you see? Does it give you the chance to install DSM 7.1 manually? If so do it and see what happened to your test system.

8 hours ago, billat29 said:

This should be fun :-)

a. I hope you have a backup of your data. I guess you don't! I really, really would try to see if you can find a way to secure your data.

//Justin: No, I just ran the backup system config in the control panel and I don't think it's powerful enough. It only saves the sys/app config, not the data.

b. I don't have SSD cache

c. If you build a new system on HDD and introduce your old disks, DSM tends to want to reformat them. So we need to work out how to update your system safely using your existing data

//Justin: I guess I confused you while I mentioned HDD. I thought to fresh install a DSM system needs at least one USB drive and one HDD. NO?Just one USB boot drive is enough? That's why you mentioned the experiment below to have one HDD in DSM 5, write some data, then install DSM 7, put the HDD back to see what happens. Then I think the easy way is to have the HDD in the current DSM system to see if the data survives in DSM 7. It saves one time of fresh install DSM 5.X, right?

Back to "DSM tends to want to reformat them", I thought DSM could recognize the its own data/format, because if I mess up the disk in slot1 to slot4, it can read out the disk has DSM data.

d. If you have another HDD that you can play with, then that's good as your can trial the upgrade before risking your data.

e. What's connected to the USB 3.0 card? DSM 7.1 removes a lot of support for USB devices.

//Justin: It doesn't connect any external device, but only provides extra USB3.0 ports while I need to copy large data in a short time. But you remind me that DSM 7.1 may not support the USB 3.0 cart itself:( Hope not...

f. You also need to check the packages you have installed in DSM 5.0 to see whether they are supported (or replaced) in DSM 7.1.

//Justin: Currently, I just used some share folders, download station, backup folders in disk slot 1 to disk slot 4 and sync data to cloud storage (here in China Baidu Network Disk is popular because it provides 2TB free space). Just basic functions and I think it's not a problem for me.

g. I have no idea whether it is possible to take DSM 5.0 drives out of a real DS3612xs and put them into a real DS3622xs and install DSM 7.1 in one step. So we would need to trial that.

//Justin: Check your replies, and I think my plan changes to:

• Try best to backup the data and sys/app config MANUALLY :)
  • Put an extra disk to DSM 5.0, create some folders & date on it.
  • Fresh install DSM 7.1.
  • Put the disk back and see what happens in DSM 7.1. Works, fine, put the 3 disks back one by one and restore the config/data. If it doesn't work, no choice and also put the 3 disks back and copy the data back from the backup...sad...

h. What's the 640Gb disk for? It's a bit old and small....

//Justin: I just check it has been working for 61702 hours. 7+ years. Yeah, it's small, but it's there day 1 when DSM 5.0 was there. I don't want it retired until it's broken. It's WD black disk and very solid:)

Have I put you off yet?

Depending the results of e. and f. You might consider just going to 6.2.3.

//Justin: it has a upgrade path from 5.0 to 6.2.3, right?

If you have already or can make a full backup of all your data, I might be tempted to wipe it all clean and start a new, fresh installation.

If not, then I would do the following:

Remove all the old drives and set them aside. Keep them safe. leave the drive with your loader on it in the machine.

Insert your "extra" blank disk and create a new 5.0-4493 U7 system. If you don't have a copy of the right DSM locally, you can find it on the Synology Download center.

Create a volume and some folders. Upload a file or two.

Set your loader disk aside. Keep it safe.

Follow the DSM 7.1 tutorial to create a new 7.1 loader.

Now. boot it and see if you can find it in Synology assistant.

What options do you see? Does it give you the chance to install DSM 7.1 manually? If so do it and see what happened to your test system.

Hi billat29, please check my replies above. Thanks!

Sorry. I have made myself confused....

You need both the USB (stick,card whatever) and the HDD. The loader goes on the USB and DSM is installed in a RAID array across all HDDs.

We are not doing an upgrade. We are doing a migration. We are simulating pulling the drives out of a DS3612xs and putting them in a new DS3622xs.

Once you have created the new 7.1 loader, we are hoping that when you boot from that, it looks at the three disks and says that you have taken the disks out of an old machine and offers to do a migration. We want it to give you the option to a manual install of DSM7.1 and then it should go away and do whatever it needs to do to end up with a running 7.1 system. It should preserve your data.

So. I like your idea. Put the spare drive into the current system. Create a volume on it (this will also install DSM 5.0 on it). Pull everything out except the new drive, insert a fresh USB stick and build the loader.

When it boots afterwards, it should allow you to perform a migration.

If that looks good, shutdown; replace the extra disk with the three old disks and cross your fingers (or whatever works best for you) and boot.

Good luck.

14 hours ago, billat29 said:

You need both the USB (stick,card whatever) and the HDD. The loader goes on the USB and DSM is installed in a RAID array across all HDDs.

We are not doing an upgrade. We are doing a migration. We are simulating pulling the drives out of a DS3612xs and putting them in a new DS3622xs.

Once you have created the new 7.1 loader, we are hoping that when you boot from that, it looks at the three disks and says that you have taken the disks out of an old machine and offers to do a migration. We want it to give you the option to a manual install of DSM7.1 and then it should go away and do whatever it needs to do to end up with a running 7.1 system. It should preserve your data.

So. I like your idea. Put the spare drive into the current system. Create a volume on it (this will also install DSM 5.0 on it). Pull everything out except the new drive, insert a fresh USB stick and build the loader.

If that looks good, shutdown; replace the extra disk with the three old disks and cross your fingers (or whatever works best for you) and boot.

Good luck.

I did some work yesterday. I probably start the installation/migration this week and keep you updated:) yeah, cross my fingers HAHAHA...

• put the new disk to slot 3, create a volume and write some data.
  • create the tinycore USB drive and dry run it with no problem.
  • find the d-sub cable to connect N54L with the monitor.

On 6/13/2022 at 6:59 PM, billat29 said:

Good luck.

Guess I met some trouble of the network :(

Why it sent me connection refused?

tc@box:~$ ./rploader.sh fullupgrade
Performing a full TCRP upgrade
Warning some of your local files will be moved to /home/tc/old/xxxx.2022-Jun-14-15-01
Updating custom_config.json
mv: cannot stat 'custom_config.json': No such file or directory
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0
curl: (7) Failed to connect to raw.githubusercontent.com port 443: Connection refused
Updating custom_config_jun.json
mv: cannot stat 'custom_config_jun.json': No such file or directory
curl: (7) Failed to connect to raw.githubusercontent.com port 443: Connection refused
Updating global_config.json
mv: cannot stat 'global_config.json': No such file or directory
  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:--  0:00:34 --:--:--     0

Edited by justinavril

8 hours ago, billat29 said:

check that the time and date on the HP are correct

Yeah, I found someone met the similiar issue about the SSL, so I did check the BIOS time setup. The date was correct, but the time was about 8 hours delay, so I correct it. But still got the same errors.

tc@box:~$ date
Wed Jun 15 00:01:34 UTC 2022

I also post my question here:

On 6/13/2022 at 6:59 PM, billat29 said:

Good luck.

Would you please help on this? Did you meet the similiar issue on N54L?  Thanks!

1 hour ago, billat29 said:

Check that C1E is disabled in the BIOS.

and that the onboard nic is enabled

and WOL is enabled.

Let me know what you find

You have just saved me!!! Just found N54L from the assitant~

I knew to disable C1E from other searches, but I didn't know I should do it right now.

Big Thanks!

14 minutes ago, billat29 said:

Just finished the pat installation and the DSM5 data on the disk of slot3 is there with no issue.

I guess I will try the reboot process and plug in the extra USB3 cards and NIC of PCIE tomorrow.

Then I will plug in the orginial 3 disks.

1655830588049.thumb.jpg.304529a2e34a6cd7354fea485f666a43.jpg

What happened with DSM V6.x is that it had a check to see if there was a hidden directory ./xpenoboot. This directory was created by one of the versions of the xpenology loader for V5. If it found it, then it would disable all services.

I don't know whether V7 has the same check, or if your system has the directory, but if the migration worked, then I would say that it is probably OK.

If you ssh in and do

cd /

ls -la

you should get a list of directories you can check

20 hours ago, billat29 said:

What happened with DSM V6.x is that it had a check to see if there was a hidden directory ./xpenoboot. This directory was created by one of the versions of the xpenology loader for V5. If it found it, then it would disable all services.

I don't know whether V7 has the same check, or if your system has the directory, but if the migration worked, then I would say that it is probably OK.

If you ssh in and do

cd /

ls -la

you should get a list of directories you can check

I check it out and there's no .xpenoboot folder under root path. I have put the other 3 disks back and everything is there. But I have to re-install some apps and restore their configurations manually.

Now, it's a N54L with v7 installed~ Thanks again!

justinwu@JustinSynoNAS:/$ ls -lart
total 104
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 Apr  1 18:01 mnt
drwx------   2 root root  4096 Apr  1 18:01 lost+found
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 Apr  1 18:01 initrd
drwxr-xr-x  12 root root  4096 Apr 25 20:15 usr
drwxr-xr-x  20 root root  4096 Jun 14 21:49 volume1
drwxr-xr-x   8 root root  4096 Jun 14 21:49 volume2
drwxr-xr-x   9 root root  4096 Jun 14 21:49 volume3
drwxr-xr-x   3 root root  4096 Jun 22 00:47 .syno
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root     7 Jun 22 00:50 bin -> usr/bin
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root     7 Jun 22 00:50 lib64 -> usr/lib
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root     9 Jun 22 00:50 lib32 -> usr/lib32
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root     7 Jun 22 00:50 lib -> usr/lib
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root     8 Jun 22 00:50 sbin -> usr/sbin
drwxr-xr-x  12 root root  4096 Jun 22 00:50 var.defaults
-rw-------   1 root root  1024 Jun 22 00:50 .rnd
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 Jun 22 00:51 .old_patch_info
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 Jun 22 00:51 .system_info
drwx------   2 root root  4096 Jun 22 00:56 root
dr-xr-xr-x 277 root root     0 Jun 22 22:29 proc
drwxr-xr-x   3 root root  4096 Jun 22 22:29 .log.junior
drwxr-xr-x  42 root root  4096 Jun 22 22:29 etc.defaults
dr-xr-xr-x  12 root root     0 Jun 22 22:29 sys
drwxr-xr-x  12 root root  4096 Jun 22 22:30 volume4
drwxr-xr-x  14 root root  4096 Jun 22 22:30 var
-rw-r--r--   1 root root 20480 Jun 22 22:30 SynoUpgrade.tar
-rw-r--r--   1 root root    40 Jun 22 22:30 checksum.syno
drwxr-xr-x   7 root root     0 Jun 22 22:30 config
drwxr-xr-x  12 root root 14020 Jun 22 22:44 dev
drwxr-xr-x  25 root root  4096 Jun 22 22:44 ..
drwxr-xr-x  25 root root  4096 Jun 22 22:44 .
drwxr-xr-x  47 root root  4096 Jun 22 22:44 etc
drwxr-xr-x  40 root root  1940 Jun 22 22:44 run
drwxrwxrwt  12 root root  1480 Jun 22 22:45 tmp