XPEnology Community

Booting DSM 6.2.3 / DS918+ with Jun's 1.04b Loader

zugu

Question

Hello!

I've installed DSM 6.2.3 on an old Haswell Celeron PC and after some fiddling, I managed to get everything working. I used the DS918+ as a platform, and Jun's 1.04b Loader.

The funny thing is, if I reboot the PC and I do not intervene, the first menu entry is automatically selected and I get the dreaded blinking cursor. The only way I can boot is to invoke a grub command line by pressing the c key while the boot options are present on the screen and type:

boot

Of course, I would like to be able to boot without resorting to typing this command. Can anyone help me with this?

12 answers to this question

It's just that, a blinking cursor in the top left of a black screen. The web interface does not become available.

If I type boot in the grub terminal though, I also get a blinking cursor on the next line below the boot command, but DSM web UI becomes available in 20 seconds or so.

16 hours ago, flyride said:

For a baremetal install, the first menu item IS the boot option you need.

If I choose that option, the DSM never properly boots. If I type boot at the grub CLI, it works. I would really like to be able to reboot without assistance, a keyboard and a monitor.

This doesn't make a lot of sense, since it shouldn't work without all the boot options that are invoked when one of the menu options is chosen.

You haven't described the "fiddling" which was required to complete your install.  Maybe you can share more details about the exact devices you have, installation resources followed, and any deviations required to make things work.

I know it doesn't make sense, but it is how it is.

Installation: baremetal on Intel Celeron G1820 on an Asrock H81M-DG4 motherboard with 4 GB DDR3 RAM. Two Seagate HDDs, 160GB and one IronWolf Pro 4TB. 

I flashed Jun's v1.03b Loader for DS3615xs on a 4 GB Kingston DataTraveler USB stick using Balena Etcher, but I could not find the DiskStation at all in the network. Jun's 1.04b Loader for DS918+ worked and the DiskStation was found, but I got an error which was solved by changing SataPortMap to 2 in the grub config.

I proceeded to install DSM 6.2.3-25426 for DS918+ (don't know why I did not go straight for Update 3). Got an error towards the end of the installation: Installation ERROR - The file is probably corrupt. (13). I double checked the PID and VID of the USB stick and there was no issue there; but I used a grub prompt to add them again, along with other commands:

vid 0x0951
pid 0x1666
append SataPortMap=2
boot

and the error went away. The installation succeeded, but when I tried to reboot, the web interface would not come up. The only thing shown on a locally connected monitor would be a blinking cursor.

But inputting the commands again resulted in a successful boot. Through elimination, I found out the first three commands are not actually needed, but the boot command is absolutely required.

So now, in order to be able to successfully boot, I press the c key and type in boot after every restart. Everything else works smoothly, this is the only thing nagging me.

11 minutes ago, zugu said:

and the error went away. The installation succeeded, but when I tried to reboot, the web interface would not come up. The only thing shown on a locally connected monitor would be a blinking cursor.

save your grub.cfg and replace it with the original from the *img file (can be opened with 7zip to extract)

only edit the usb vid/pid  (keep in mind you need unix aware editor with LF instead of CR/LF - like notepad++ or ultraedit)

and then try to boot with it

4 hours ago, zugu said:

It worked! Thank you so much.

to complete it you could now also change the mac in grub.cfg to the real one, needed for WOL but also convenient when the system always has the same mac in  network

you use a wrong editor? any reason you found why the old grub.cfg did not work? did you use a wrong editor?

I think I used Notepad instead of Notepad++ and that might have caused the problem. I'll definitely use WOL, so I'll also change the MAC.

Curious thing, before performing the change, two of the USB stick partitions were visible and accessible in DSM, but after updating grub.conf they're not visible anymore. (This is how I was actually able to access the file and make the change.)

How can I access the USB stick now?

1 hour ago, zugu said:

How can I access the USB stick now?

on windows you can start notepad++ with right mouse click "as administrator" and you can access the 1st partition to edit grub.cfg, 2nd partition is more complicated

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/29872-tutorial-mount-boot-stick-partitions-in-windows-edit-grubcfg-add-extralzma/

within dsm

mkdir -p /mnt/synoboot1
mkdir -p /mnt/synoboot2

echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/syno_install_flag
mount /dev/synoboot1 /mnt/synoboot1
mount /dev/synoboot2 /mnt/synoboot2

Edited by IG-88