XPEnology Community

What DOESN'T work in xpenology?

SnowDrifter

The limits on using Synology cloud services are self-imposed (by the community) and enforced by Synology (through legitimate serial number verification).

FWIW, HA services seem to be hit or miss. Fan and beep control do not work because they rely on Synology proprietary hardware. Drive hibernation is a bit finicky, and SMART is not functional with all possible hardware combinations. Does VMM not work, or does it just suck? XPEnology has the ability to run as a VM under ESXi or other hypervisor, so reliance on VMM is less of an issue for those who need accompanying VMs.

Those are a few that come to mind, but I'm sure I'm missing some significant items. It might be more efficient if you indicated what things you were interested in. Nobody uses or tests all the functionality from the Synology ecosystem.

3 hours ago, flyride said:

The limits on using Synology cloud services are self-imposed (by the community) and enforced by Synology (through legitimate serial number verification).

FWIW, HA services seem to be hit or miss. Fan and beep control do not work because they rely on Synology proprietary hardware. Drive hibernation is a bit finicky, and SMART is not functional with all possible hardware combinations. Does VMM not work, or does it just suck? XPEnology has the ability to run as a VM under ESXi or other hypervisor, so reliance on VMM is less of an issue for those who need accompanying VMs.

Those are a few that come to mind, but I'm sure I'm missing some significant items. It might be more efficient if you indicated what things you were interested in. Nobody uses or tests all the functionality from the Synology ecosystem.

This is fair. I suppose the vagueness of my question was regarding the vagueness of my uses. When I got my 418, I figured I'd just be using it as a nas, full stop. But I found other things I could do with it...

My current use (and intended use, limited by functionality of the 418 unit) is:

- Plex server, on network, off network. 1080p, shared library among myself, family, friends. (current hardware sucks for off-network. Realtek CPU)

- Offsite backup for friends, in-network versioning history + backup for me. When a friend gets his server set up after the move (non-synology), I'll be using his as my off-site backup. We have an agreement where I can back up to him, and he can back up to me to maintain different geographical locations

- Right click -> get share link. Don't care about the quickconnect service

- Download station+VPN in docker(unable to do this at current). Or possibly in VM w/ another instance of DSM. Undecided yet.

- Want to use active backup for business, though this isn't a deal breaker. Currently run backups + versioning w/ easeus to the NAS

- Access via DDNS when off-site. Currently using synology.me, but I can switch to anyone. Don't care who, only that it works

- BRTFS + SHR + Scrubbing + compression. Do that now, want to stick with it. Keeps bit rot away, scans drives to see if there are any angry sectors, can mix and match sizes + expand pool easily. I like the ecosystem.

- I don't care about drive hibernation, I keep mine spinning 24/7. But losing access to SMART metrics is a point of tension for me. Any alternatives here to monitor drive health?

Edited by SnowDrifter

Personally, I do most all the things listed above or their equivalent on my systems.  I am sure others have similar feedback.

Plex: Definitely works.  I use Docker Plex (superior to the SPK setup in my opinion).  Plex functionality is not bound to Synology in any way.

Offsite backup & versioning: via Snapshots (versioning) and backup replication (cross-site backup). I use point-to-point VPN via firewall to make it transparent to DSM.

"Get share link": I assume this is the sharing functionality in File Station.  Don't use that, but I see no reason for that not to work normally

Download Station+VPN: Lots of evidence those both work fine. I now use Wireshark instead of OpenVPN.  For downloads, Docker sabnzbdvpn and qbittorrentvpn.

Active Backup: Works. There are posts on how to defeat the activation so you don't need a serial. For me, VEEAM Free is superior in most every way

Access via DDNS: These are two different things.  If you open a port, you have access.  Synology DDNS client can be configured to work with a DDNS provider other than Synology. I use a Docker app.

BTRFS/SHR/scrubbing/compression: Yes

SMART: Works with ACPI-compliant SATA controllers and devices directly accessible to DSM. RAID controllers and virtualized disks are less compatible. I run a RAIDF1 array. SMART is mandatory for RAIDF1 because it has to interrogate the drive consumption to work.

Bottom line, solutions to most of your challenges exist, if you can be a little bit flexible on implementation.

Edited by flyride
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...