XPEnology Community

ESXI: Server 2012 + Xpenology

rekd0514

I am wanting to create a storage pool for Server 2012 using Xpenology, but I'm not exactly sure how I should do that to get the best performance. Here is the setup I am trying to achieve.

ESXI:

Server 2012

Xpenology = 3x5TB in SHR using a M1015 IT mode with pass-through

How can I get the 10TB of usable storage space to show up as a single drive in Windows? Do I use ISCSI, NFS, or something else. I want to point all of my shared folders to the single large drive if that will work and work quickly. This will all be in the same machine, so I would think this would work well.

http://blogs.technet.com/cfs-file.ashx/ ... 125331.png

Thank you for the help in advance!

With ISCSI you can probably get a better performance than NFS and Samba. However, its designed to be connected to a single computer at one time.Also, you would have to either create an ISCSI image on your synology or dedicate separate disks for it.

If you just want to have access to files, just go with samba. Its not that much slower, to be honest. You'll probably be bottle-necking your ethernet anyways. Unless, of course, you have 10Gb connection.

I could do that as well, but will it show all the drives as a single 10TB drive letter that way as well? I want to be able to point the server folders to a single drive letter so they can be shared out through the network like I currently have.

I could do that as well, but will it show all the drives as a single 10TB drive letter that way as well? I want to be able to point the server folders to a single drive letter so they can be shared out through the network like I currently have.

Yep, it will show up as a 10TB harddrive in Windows Server. Remember, you need to create a virtual disk image inside Expenology for the ISCSI, so the disk itself wouldn't even realize that its actually stored on multiple hard drives in SHR mode. You won't be able to access files inside ISCSI image from Expenology itself though.

But you can also do almost exactly the same using Samba share. You can even mount it as a letter drive. Of course, you won't be able to format it like the ISCSI disk and some programs might not work correctly with mounted samba share.