XPEnology Community

Hi everyone, I'm looking to upgrade my old Synology DS1813 + with an 1821+, I need to do virtualization for the installation of x84 (32bit) operating systems because I have programs that only run on those s.o. but I have seen that with the same money you can assemble a much superior machine (or make yourself a machine equal to DS1821 + by spending 30-35% less) and then run the DSM on it, the problem with a self-produced machine lies in the DSM operating system , I installed the expenology version 6.0.2 for virtualization test on pc (the updates have not yet succeeded) the question would therefore be: but for any updates you have to do all the procedure described in the forum each time because the thing is enough cumbersome and complex (with possibility of failure from what I see in the forum) or is it possible to perform a normal automatic update like updating a normal DSM ???? In addition, the release of DSM 7 is expected soon, in that case how is the situation ???? I have been using DSM for several years and I am quite comfortable with it I have a lot of applications running with that s.o. I would mind changing or I will have to resign myself to taking an original car. Thanks

The procedure to move from major version to major version requires the replacement of the loader and a reinstallation.  For example, 6.0, 6.1 and 6.2 all use use different loaders.  FMI: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

Minor updates (6.1.x to 6.1.y, or 6.2.x to 6.2.y) usually work fine via the UI update.  Automatic updates are never recommended:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/9394-installation-faq/?do=findComment&comment=81100

Also, you should see how the update you plan to apply is working for others before you attempt it yourself.  Better yet, have a test environment to make sure it works first.

https://xpenology.com/forum/forum/78-dsm-updates-reporting/

As far as DSM 7 is concerned, nobody knows yet. It is unlikely to work without a new loader release. DSM source code will probably need to be released before a loader can be created. So you need to plan NOT to update to DSM 7 for some time, maybe never if using XPEnology.

Hi FlyRide, thanks for the information, yes well the update to DSM 7 I don't see it as very important for now, from what I've seen it doesn't seem like there are any revolutionary changes, so I have to decide if it's worth doing the whole procedure update with new loader (so far I have only managed to install a virtual version with the help of a vmdk file in the next few days I will try to install a version with the "normal" procedure then I see, it is a bit laborious but by the way. Thanks in the meantime

Hello everyone, installation update, I managed to install version 6.2 and then immediately automatically updated to version 6.2.3 of the DSM with DS3617xs and everything works correctly, even the disks see them and configure them correctly as a volume (in an equal installation of the DSM with 3615xs did not give me the possibility to make the volume, bohhhh) for it does not install the updates 1,2,3 either automatically or manually by downloading them, it gives me a disk corruption error

23 minutes ago, PincoPalla said:

updates 1,2,3 either automatically or manually by downloading them, it gives me a disk corruption error

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28183-running-623-on-esxi-synoboot-is-broken-fix-available/

24 minutes ago, PincoPalla said:

6.2.3 of the DSM with DS3617xs and everything works correctly, even the disks see them and configure them correctly as a volume (in an equal installation of the DSM with 3615xs did not give me the possibility to make the volume

i dont know what controller you are using but there are newer lsi sas drivers in 3617