XPEnology Community

Sanity check my hardware before I order?

SnowDrifter

Question

Hey all, looking for someone to check over my hardware list before I pull the trigger and order goodies. First time doing this, looking for any glaring issues with hardware compatibility / fitment, or a known hardware conflict w/ xpenology

Goal: Nas / sync / backup /plex server (2-3 users off network).

Case: Silverstone DS308B

Motherboard: ASRock Rack Motherboard C236 WSI

CPU: Intel Core I3-9100 (intending to use boxed cooler)

Ram: 1 stick crucial 16gb ECC (CT16G4RFD4213)

PSU: Silverstone 450w sfx

Network card: Random 10gbe card off fleabay. Undecided

5 answers to this question

The mobo and chip should be fine. That is a nice little board.  I also have a C236-based motherboard and the 8 SATA ports on board work flawlessly.

Does the i3 leverage ECC RAM?  Seems like you need a Xeon to work with ECC RAM; get both or neither, otherwise you are wasting money.

Also all Intel (and AMD for that matter) entry-level CPU's need at least two DIMMs populated for best performance.  I understand though, if your plan is to buy a second 16GB DIMM later to reduce the up-front spend.

7 minutes ago, flyride said:

The mobo and chip should be fine. That is a nice little board.  I also have a C236-based motherboard and the 8 SATA ports on board work flawlessly.

Does the i3 leverage ECC RAM?  Seems like you need a Xeon to work with ECC RAM; get both or neither, otherwise you are wasting money.

Also all Intel (and AMD for that matter) entry-level CPU's need at least two DIMMs populated for best performance.  I understand though, if your plan is to buy a second 16GB DIMM later to reduce the up-front spend.

I believe it does, at least on the intel site. And yes, the plan is to add another 16g stick down the road. I find myself treading the line between: I've outgrown my current unit, need something more powerful, also need more storage space. Need to build something that would fit my needs as far as performance goes, but without going so overboard that I spend everything on hardware and don't have any leftover for storage hah

Intel link:
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/134870/intel-core-i3-9100-processor-6m-cache-up-to-4-20-ghz.html

Now that I've dug into it more, registered and unbuffered go a bit over my head

Edit: And to add, I'm aware of the airflow issue with that case. Though it was my understanding that one can make an air-dam to seal up the airpath between fans and drives and it'll perform fine.

Edited by SnowDrifter

8 minutes ago, SnowDrifter said:

I believe it does

Neat little chip then.  Registered DIMMs only required with older motherboards or extremely large DIMMs that your proposed motherboard does not support. UDIMMs cost less (at least new they do) and were created because modern chipset memory controllers could handle the buffering requirements.

I think you will be pretty happy with that hardware.

Edited by flyride
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, SnowDrifter said:

Still milling through info. Unable to find if xpenology supports integrated graphics 630? Should I be downgrading the cpu for 530?

9100 works ootb with synologys i915 driver from 6.2.3 918+

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28321-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm623-for-918-3615xs-3617xs/

open

"iGPU device ID's supported by synology's i915 driver (Reveal hidden contents)"

and you can check the id's of supported devices, with a patched driver it will even work up to 10th gen lowend  cpu's