XPEnology Community

How to speed up thumbnails. Is there a way?

endormmc

Hi

I've been searching the config file for thumbnail creation but I can't find it. I'm running xpenology under esxi with 8 Cores (xeon L5630) and 16GB ram. My goal would be to speed up the creation of thumbnails allowing more thumbs at the same time, or more cores, or more priority....

So, can you help me? 

Assuming you are talking about Photo Station, /usr/syno/bin/ffmpeg-thumb is aliased to /usr/bin/ffmpeg and that is v2.7.1 (released in 2015).  Multithreading support did exist back then but I expect it has been improved.  You might try and hack in a current version, although it will get overwritten with upgrades.

However I am pretty sure it is called by script, which is likely to be single threaded.

FMI: https://www.reddit.com/r/synology/comments/7ui7c1/conversion_process_details/

On 12/29/2020 at 11:05 PM, flyride said:

Assuming you are talking about Photo Station, /usr/syno/bin/ffmpeg-thumb is aliased to /usr/bin/ffmpeg and that is v2.7.1 (released in 2015).  Multithreading support did exist back then but I expect it has been improved.  You might try and hack in a current version, although it will get overwritten with upgrades.

However I am pretty sure it is called by script, which is likely to be single threaded.

FMI: https://www.reddit.com/r/synology/comments/7ui7c1/conversion_process_details/

Interesting.... maybe I could try to "upgrade" the package....