XPEnology Community

Power off from the buttom

sraptor

Hello,

I'm running Xpenology image DS3615xs_5.2-5565.2.img on Bare Metal N54L, and I keep having issues making the power button work with latest releases.

I followed thordrid's advice and instructions (combined dilshodm's post).

- evdev.ko copied & loaded

- running acpi (2.0.23) in debug mode

- corresponding scripts copied powerbtn.sh in /etc/acpi and powerbtn-conf in /etc/acpi/events

Tried reboots & different things but none did the trick.

Here's acpid -d output :

Deprecated /proc/acpi/event was not found.  Trying netlink and the input layer...
acpid: cannot open input layer
inotify fd: 4
acpid: inotify_add_watch() failed: No such file or directory (2)
netlink opened successfully
acpid: starting up with netlink and the input layer
parsing conf file /etc/acpi/events/powerbtn-conf
acpid: 1 rule loaded
acpid: waiting for events: event logging is on

I have absolutely no traces in logs when pushing the power button, have no devices in /etc/input.

I'm quite stuck and need help please

Edited by Guest

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

This is recap of previous posts about power off button in DSM 5.2 (specifically 5592.4).

Thanks to thordrid http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=889&start=90#p38581 and cartman http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=889&start=90#p38596

You have to unpack acpi-button-dsm5.2.tgz to root directory and reboot the dsm. Then it should power off from button. Tested on DSM 5.2-5592.4 on Proxmox.

Steps to unpack:

1. download file acpi-button-dsm5.2.tgz https://www.dropbox.com/s/6rcuignyxsxrekh/acpi-button-dsm5.2.tgz?dl=0

2. enter to DSM console (directly or by ssh) and type following

cd /
tar zxvf /volume1/path_to_downloaded_files/acpi-button-dsm5.2.tgz

What was changed:

I took the files from my previous post http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=889&start=80#p26001 and files from thordrid's post, apply changes from cartman's post, moved button.ko loading from /etc/rc to S10modules_evdev.sh and removed /etc/rc, so no need to manually edit it (as it was in my old post).

Hi all,

This is recap of previous posts about power off button in DSM 5.2 (specifically 5592.4).

Thanks to thordrid http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=889&start=90#p38581 and cartman http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=889&start=90#p38596

You have to unpack acpi-button-dsm5.2.tgz to root directory and reboot the dsm. Then it should power off from button. Tested on DSM 5.2-5592.4 on Proxmox.

Steps to unpack:

1. download file acpi-button-dsm5.2.tgz https://www.dropbox.com/s/6rcuignyxsxrekh/acpi-button-dsm5.2.tgz?dl=0

2. enter to DSM console (directly or by ssh) and type following

cd /
tar zxvf /volume1/path_to_downloaded_files/acpi-button-dsm5.2.tgz

What was changed:

I took the files from my previous post http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=889&start=80#p26001 and files from thordrid's post, apply changes from cartman's post, moved button.ko loading from /etc/rc to S10modules_evdev.sh and removed /etc/rc, so no need to manually edit it (as it was in my old post).

Be careful, the tar is replacing the entire folder /usr/syno/etc/rc.d and leaving only the 2 files (acpi and env).

If you did this mistake, there is a etc.default folder with all the files to restore. /usr/syno/etc.default

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I seem to have a problem here... Everything I put in rc.d folder seems to be erased on reboot... Any explanation ?

EDIT : working, I just had to copy the files to "etc.defaults" too :smile:

It seems that the system is owerwriting "etc" with "etc.defaults" on boot.

This doesn't seem to work for me either. :sad:

DSM shuts down, but the server didn't go off. I have to hold the power-button for a few seconds to turn it off.

Are you also running the newest XPEnology 5.2-5644?

I seem to have a problem here... Everything I put in rc.d folder seems to be erased on reboot... Any explanation ?

DSM shuts down, but the server didn't go off. I have to hold the power-button for a few seconds to turn it off.

No, I'm currently using the previous version (5.2-5592).

No, I'm currently using the previous version (5.2-5592).

Okay, thank you. With 5.2-5592 it worked for me, too. With the New 5644 it works no longer.

I've got this working now with the help of posts in this thread. Key things to look out for are:

Make sure you've got evdev.ko and that it's being loaded, use lsmod to check.

Check that everything is ok using acpid -d

Make sure you have the following files:

/usr/syno/etc/rc.d/S30acpid.sh

/usr/syno/etc/rc.d/S10module_evdev.sh

the S10module_evdev.sh needs modifying if you downloaded it

- edit MODULES_DIR="/lib/modules/"

I've got this working now with the help of posts in this thread. Key things to look out for are:

Make sure you've got evdev.ko and that it's being loaded, use lsmod to check.

Check that everything is ok using acpid -d

Make sure you have the following files:

/usr/syno/etc/rc.d/S30acpid.sh

/usr/syno/etc/rc.d/S10module_evdev.sh

the S10module_evdev.sh needs modifying if you downloaded it

- edit MODULES_DIR="/lib/modules/"

Which version of DSM ?

Same problem for me. I have a N54L running the 5644 bootloader and DSM Version. All files are in place and configured well. When I try to shut down the NAS the OS shuts down but the HW keeps running. It doesn't matter, which way I try to shut down the NAS, either with power button or via the online menu in the OS. In both ways the HW keeps running. :sad:

Now I have set back the bootimage to the previous version (5592) while keeping the OS with version 5644 - and the shut down works well again in every way. :eek:

By this, I think the bootloader is the problem! As I am not using iSCSI I will keep the old bootloader until the problem is solved.

Same problem for me. I have a N54L running the 5644 bootloader and DSM Version. All files are in place and configured well. When I try to shut down the NAS the OS shuts down but the HW keeps running. It doesn't matter, which way I try to shut down the NAS, either with power button or via the online menu in the OS. In both ways the HW keeps running. :sad:

Now I have set back the bootimage to the previous version (5592) while keeping the OS with version 5644 - and the shut down works well again in every way. :eek:

By this, I think the bootloader is the problem! As I am not using iSCSI I will keep the old bootloader until the problem is solved.

For me with a gen8 the same problem, but the shutdown via OS menu works for me!

• 4 weeks later...

Just to throw another into the mix; I am running 5592 update 4 (with the 5592.2 bootloader), and the shutdown from the menu in DSM works fine.

Trying to use the pushbutton I get the same as reported above, the DSM software shutsdown (all terminals are disconnected etc.) but the final stage of the ACPI shutdown of actually turning off the hardware doesn't happen.

Running acpid in debug mode when I press the button I get the following output:

acpid -d -l
Deprecated /proc/acpi/event was not found.  Trying netlink and the input layer...
input layer /dev/input/event0 (Power Button) opened successfully, fd 4
input layer /dev/input/event1 (Power Button) opened successfully, fd 5
inotify fd: 6
inotify wd: 1
netlink opened successfully
acpid: starting up with netlink and the input layer
parsing conf file /etc/acpi/events/powerbtn-conf
acpid: 1 rule loaded
acpid: waiting for events: event logging is on
acpid: received input layer event "button/power PBTN 00000080 00000000"
acpid: rule from /etc/acpi/events/powerbtn-conf matched
acpid: executing action "/etc/acpi/powerbtn.sh"
BEGIN HANDLER MESSAGES

Then I lose the SSH terminal.

Of note, I also have the WOL mod applied which works fine on its own, but I'm wondering whether it is possible that it might be interfering with the PushButton scripts at all on the way down?

I'll report back if I find anything, and I'll also keep my eyes open in case anyone else has any bright ideas :smile: