XPEnology Community

Install 918+ on MSI MAG B460M MORTAR

towi_65

Board.txt

I have been trying to install 918+ using 1.04b, but failed so far. I have tested different extras, including the latest 13.3. I have an external nic that works. The onboard nic has been disabled.

I can see that an ip-number is assigned, and I can also ping (although the communication breaks from time to time). But I can not get any further. I can not find it with synology assistant.

My guess is that some of the hardware is to new and is not working properly. Could it be the USB? Any ideas?

For the time being running I am running it with esxi. But most of the hardware is not supported there, including the usb. Here is how the esxi sees the motherboard. I have also included the detailed specifications of the motherboard from esxi.

230095430_ESXIcapture.thumb.JPG.84d20868688e1af36a7ba6fca2b51b0a.JPG

8 hours ago, towi_65 said:

My guess is that some of the hardware is to new

not very likely with a 6th/7th gen cpu board, cpu is 2015/2016 and the hardware around it will be even older

there is a intel nic and a realtek 8125

the intel seems to be a "NC360T PCI Express Dual Port Gigabit Server Adapter"

the realtek should work too when using a additional extra.lzma, if any use the new 0.13.3 for dsm 6.2.3

remove the intel nic and try with the onboard and when using the intel nic try both ports

Could it be the USB

not likely if it boots and you see the grub selection and then jun's message the boot process has started and even if you use the loader without changing the grub.cfg in any way then it should be seen in network, the usb vid/pid only gets important later when installing a *.pat fule (dsm system) to disk

Any ideas?

test with loader 1.02b and try 3617 and 916+ with the intel nic (onboard disable in bios)

1 hour ago, towi_65 said:

The cpu is i5-10400 and the motherboard can only boot in UEFI.

i've not looked up the board and you listing of hardware looked like a older xeon cpu so i assumed it must be a older system/board

if its a newer system then the 8125 might not work when its a newer hardware revision of the chip, the intel card should work ootb with dsm 6.1/6.2

1 hour ago, towi_65 said:

There are some disabled code in loadinitrd, should that be enabled to get the extra to load?

not sure what you have in mind, what exactly is that code?

13 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

not sure what you have in mind, what exactly is that code?

grub.cfg file in 918+ has the following code:

#        if [ -s $img/$extra_initrd ]; then
#                initrd $img/rd.gz $img/$extra_initrd
#        else
#                initrd $img/rd.gz
#        fi

13 hours ago, towi_65 said:

There are some disabled code in loadinitrd

12 hours ago, towi_65 said:

grub.cfg file in 918+ has the following code:

ok, so its in grub.cfg

that part checks if there is a extra.lzma and if so loads it along dsm's rd.gz, if not present only rd.gz is used

the extra.lzma is used anyway or we would not have a working loader, atm i'm only working on a smaller tablet so i can't check the context in grub.cfg but i guess it was just some test code that got removed as extra.lzma is needed all the time to make sure the loader is working, so no need to check its presence

12 hours ago, towi_65 said:

Tested with DS3615xs, DS3617xs and DS916p 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02b. All the same behavior. Grabs an ip-number and responds to ping.

check your local computer you are using to access the system with, if you can use icmp (ping) but not other ports then maybe  local firewall rules prevent access, maybe try a different system like phone/tablet's browser to access that ip address on the ports 5000 (http)  / 5001 (https)

1 hour ago, IG-88 said:

check your local computer you are using to access the system with, if you can use icmp (ping) but not other ports then maybe  local firewall rules prevent access, maybe try a different system like phone/tablet's browser to access that ip address on the ports 5000 (http)  / 5001 (https)

When starting up my old xpenology with the same usb stick, everything is ok. It can be reached on port 5000. There must be something with my new hardware causing this problem.

Tested to connect from other devices as well, to no avail.

53 minutes ago, towi_65 said:

When starting up my old xpenology with the same usb stick, everything is ok. It can be reached on port 5000. There must be something with my new hardware causing this problem.

Tested to connect from other devices as well, to no avail.

if there is nothing else in you network like vlan that could prevent the client from accessing the dsm system then i'm out of ideas

maybe try to set up a usb/disk "pair" (1.04b dsm 6.2.3 918+) on another system and move that already istalled/running combination to the new hardware, that way you skip the install process, with the intel nic there should be no driver problem (and with 8125 disabled in bios there should be only 2 nic ports, so under all conditions it should stay within the 2 port limit of 918+)

another option is the serial port console, you could see drivers loading and failed drivers and even login if the boot process runs completely

you board does not have serial port connector anymore but with 918+ (kernel 4.4.59) there is a pcie card solution that can deliver this, a cheap WCH CH382L based card can be used as add-on solution for serial console (you would need a null-model-cable too and maybe a usb2serial adapter for the other computer running  a console program like putty)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/36505-serial-port-com1-stages-of-operation/?do=findComment&comment=182005

2 hours ago, IG-88 said:

maybe try to set up a usb/disk "pair" (1.04b dsm 6.2.3 918+) on another system and move that already istalled/running combination to the new hardware, that way you skip the install process, with the intel nic there should be no driver problem (and with 8125 disabled in bios there should be only 2 nic ports, so under all conditions it should stay within the 2 port limit of 918+)

Yes, that solved it for me. I used the synoboot.img I created and have been running in esxi, modified the grub.cfg to the correct mac address. Then burned it to a usb stick.

It took some time, but finally I can connect! Now I am up running ds918+ with 1.04b boot loader.

Thanks for all the assistance.

• 1 year later...