XPEnology Community

DS918+ All Raid 0 SSD Array - My "For Fun" NAS, for Movies/TV, how can i clone single SSD from this array?

Captainfingerbang

Question

My ALL SSD RAID0  NAS Xpen DS918+ (for TV/Movies only) is giving me error after 2-3 years of solid commendable service and streaming many 50GB-100GB UHD Hevc MKV Remuxes over the years, amongst other things. 

It  IS very fast because of Raid0, but contains nothing i cannot live without. it would only be a small pain in the ass to re-download the movies/shows I've attained here.

And fyi, don't preach to me about the Raid 0, I've read it a thousand times, i don't care.. I keep my important stuff on other, Redundant DS918's the correct way.

But, i need to know if i can and how to clone 1 single SSD from this Raid0, the dying POS 840 EVO, to another ssd to replace, and pop back in the system without much fanfare.

FYI, i don't have any disk errors flying up at me, or any problems whatsoever,  it just bugs me to see this garbage about "This drive was in warning status" Blah Blah.

I'd prefer to spend the least time possible for tis BS to be repaired.

There MUST be a simple way to clone Drive 6 with like a bootable Acronis USB or similar to new 500gb ssd, and replace the Dying, old, Samsung 840 Evo in this Pig, no?

This shouldn't be complicated...

1179173361_driveandarray.thumb.png.ef3923c0fcd62d8fe7d218a79cd69c71.png

14 answers to this question

11 hours ago, Captainfingerbang said:

This shouldn't be complicated...

its the way you have chosen when using raid0, the normal way with a non working disk / removed disk is a destroyed raid and restoring data from backup, thats the way you designed and set up your system, anything else is optional and depends on other things and might not 100% predictable

beside the comments about reinserting the mSATA drive to see if the error is still there, i would suggest clonezilla for cloning, its free and you get a ready to use boot media, as long a the new drive is not smaller it will do this job

i think mdadm would not mind a clone of a disk on a new (disk) hardware but DSM could interfere, i never tried this scenario, my guess is that it should work

in theory: as your old drive is still in working condition and if the clone does not do its job as intended, the raid0 set should not start and if you put back the old drive the raid0 set should start again and you can have a look in the logs to see what was going wrong

once you started the raid0 with the new drive you old drive would be invalid for that raid set

• Like 1

Thanks for the help my dudes.

I'd really like to check out cloning the drive just to see. My issue is that this 840 evo is a 500gb and my spare is Sandisk Ultra II 480gb. 840 evo has 460gb available and the Ultra II has like 440-450gb available so its close. Secondly, i have a SanDisk ssd already installed in this array but it is "unsupported", the only drive in the array thats not supported.  i have to assume this Sandisk is also "unsupported" . I Guess i could See DSM getting a little mad at all this if i were to try to clone.

Maybe ill start ssd shopping.?

Fyi i did a S.M.A.R.T. Extended test after my OP today for the first time ever on the drive and I've got more specifics. From what i understand, the 840 evo is reallocating space and the drive is basically getting smaller. And btw, the 840 evo msata is connected via an msata to sata adapter acting as a 2.5 inch ssd though this may not be relevant

But check out these smart attributes: Anything look amiss to you guys here? Or not much to worry about?

I wish i knew how to check the actual space left on ssd after it reallocating space.

840-1.PNG.09ee7bff8a4db465d7f1cc22cec2cced.PNG

840-2.PNG.79079b7c99007c9396522c84fa28a9ba.PNG

The #179 report looks anomalous. Specifically the drive once reported the reserved block count total below the threshold but now it isn't.

The drive has no bad blocks, no historical read errors, and it is now reporting no usage of the reserved block count.  And it's at 90% life.  I would just keep using it.

6 hours ago, Captainfingerbang said:

Sandisk Ultra II 480gb. 840 evo has 460gb available and the Ultra II has like 440-450gb available so its close

there is no "close" when it lower, it hast to be the same number of sectors (or above), anything else will break the raid set and file system in it

the file system above the raid set is not capable of just loosing some sectors "somewhere"

6 hours ago, Captainfingerbang said:

Maybe ill start ssd shopping.?

i'd suggest a usb drive big enough to hold a backup :-)

you ssd drive might be ok and if not you would have a backup to restore, if the drive fails then you would not even need to replace it, just build a new raid0 (or jbod) set without that 480GB drive (or replace it with a bigger one for more space in the new set) and restore you data from backup

Thank you, both of you gentleman. Of course Flyride has to use big words like Anomalous haha j/k. 

Ok, im going keep it.

Lastly...

Hypothetically. 

Could i shut this server down, pull the 840 evo, clone to another Same size ssd, and the server boot back up without DSM even taking notice?   😉😲

On 12/26/2020 at 2:04 AM, flyride said:

The #179 report looks anomalous. Specifically the drive once reported the reserved block count total below the threshold but now it isn't.

The drive has no bad blocks, no historical read errors, and it is now reporting no usage of the reserved block count.  And it's at 90% life.  I would just keep using it.

Hey Flyride, i didnt want to open a new thread. But you know how Xpen/Synology, using NVME as storage is a pain?

Does the same apply to using an M.2 Sata drive? Not nvme but sata?

Can one use m.2 sata drives for storage without any extra config in Xpenology? 

Or is it the same idea as NVME?

M.2 SATA drives should be seen by DSM as regular disk.  Sometimes there are limitations on motherboards where a physical SATA port will be disabled when M.2 SATA is active (nothing to do with XPE).  I suppose it's possible that there could be a controller dedicated to the M.2 SATA that would have to be addressed with extra.lzma, but that seems unlikely.

6 hours ago, flyride said:

M.2 SATA drives should be seen by DSM as regular disk.  Sometimes there are limitations on motherboards where a physical SATA port will be disabled when M.2 SATA is active (nothing to do with XPE).  I suppose it's possible that there could be a controller dedicated to the M.2 SATA that would have to be addressed with extra.lzma, but that seems unlikely.

Wow this is fantastic news, especially for people like me with 2-3 Xpen ds918's with 4-6 expty m.2 slots. 

Thanks again Flyride! 

You should be aware that just because a slot is M.2 does not mean it supports M.2 SATA.  It's up to the motherboard or other device.  For example, my X570 motherboard supports two M.2 NVMe slots but they do not work with M.2 SATA.  However, my Supermicro server board does support both on its slot.  So check before buying M.2 SATA SSDs.

54 minutes ago, Captainfingerbang said:

Wow this is fantastic news, especially for people like me with 2-3 Xpen ds918's with 4-6 expty m.2 slots. 

you should check the manual of your systemboards before buying m.2 sata ssd's, in most cases the sata part of the m.2 shares a sata connector of the board and when using the m.2 sata one of the sata ports is dead (when there is often a table that shows under what conditions of the m.2 slot what other port is dead and if there is a (good) logical picture of the board with chipset, pcie lanes, ..., then you might see a switch realted to the m.2 slot and the sata ports of the chipset

Yes to confirm they both support sata. Tested and good.

So i did end up cloning the raid drive and it seems to work.

But theres a problem.... with every reboot, or even sometimes not rebooting the drive is reporting that dsm cannot access system partition.

So, it allows me to click Repair, and it repairs in two seconds. I needed the samsung 840 drive so it got wiped. Yeah stupid..

Im probably going to backup elsewhere.

But, i just don't get it.  Can i remedy the "failed to access partition" somehow? especially since i just have to click Repair and it fixes immediately? 

Have you guys ran into this? Where a drive often keeps saying this just to repair in 2 seconds after clicking repair? Any ideas?