XPEnology Community

Graduating from N40L to a TS140

spammy

I've acquired some more powerful hardware and wish to transfer my current bare metal N40L (with 4 drives) to a ESXi set up on Lenovo TS140. Some questions if I may?

1) The TS140 has 5 SATA ports. Am I right in understanding that I need one reserved for ESXi, even if I boot off of a USB (virtual host files and config and the like?), leaving a max of four for Syno?

2) I'm currently running nanoboot. Should I simultaneously update that to Xpenoboot? Should I update the Syno software too?

3) I'm using a SHR volume of four drives. Can I just transfer over the HDDs? Will/should these be directly reserved for the Syno VM?

I'm sure there's more but I'd appreciate help with the above for now!

I've acquired some more powerful hardware and wish to transfer my current bare metal N40L (with 4 drives) to a ESXi set up on Lenovo TS140. Some questions if I may?

1) The TS140 has 5 SATA ports. Am I right in understanding that I need one reserved for ESXi, even if I boot off of a USB (virtual host files and config and the like?), leaving a max of four for Syno?

2) I'm currently running nanoboot. Should I simultaneously update that to Xpenoboot? Should I update the Syno software too?

3) I'm using a SHR volume of four drives. Can I just transfer over the HDDs? Will/should these be directly reserved for the Syno VM?

I'm sure there's more but I'd appreciate help with the above for now!

Hi Spammy,

To answer:

1) You'll need some form of 'local storage' available, either as an NFS store, iSCSI store or local storage as directly attached HDDs, given the setup it is unlikely that you'll have an NFS or iSCSI Store so that leaves you local storage via attached HDD from one of the SATA ports;

2) I've never used nanoboot so cannot comment on the upgrade, but I presume creating a new boot device using the VMDK in ESXi for 5.2 would allow you to get the new boot loader running. This should allow you to migrate your data across when ready.

3) Following on from 2) above, once the new bootloader is running you should simply be able to add the four drives and that will allow you to migrate to version 5.2. You probably won't get the smart data and other stuff from the HDDs without RDMing the drives which will be harder if you don't have an HBA (sas/sata pci-e based card). Would recommend you try doing a dummy run i.e. install HDDs get the DSM 5.2 VM running and then see what options you have (migrate, clean install etc.) before proceeding too far. If you have migrate or clean install (but retain user data) you should be good to go... If you don't then you might need to ask for further help.

Chris