XPEnology Community

Run XPEnology From Internal USB Instead Of internal HDDs

SOUK

Hi guys, can anyone tell me if its possible to install XPEnology directly to the internal USB stick on a HP MicroServer n40L and have it always boot from there instead of my 3.5" internal SATA HDDs which its currently doing (or so it seems).

1) Is it even possible?

2) Has it been done by anyone else on here?

3) Would a 32GB USB stick be large enough (if its possible)?

Thanks.

1) Is it even possible?

YES

2) Has it been done by anyone else on here?

I think all who have a n40L :wink:

3) Would a 32GB USB stick be large enough (if its possible)?

A 32 MB Usb Stick is enough :smile:

That's what I imagined, any ideas how to go about doing this?

I was just about to stick FreeNAS back on :lol:

I'm not sure if you understand this correct - or maybe I don't understand your question. :wink:

The USB stick emulates the boot-prom in a real Synology device.

A real synology device is useless without any harddrives - and so is XPEnology.

Without any harddrives - no XPEnology.

When installing the pat-file from Synology, it is installed on all harddrives in the system, to make the system more robust. There is nothing you can do about this.

I'm not sure if you understand this correct - or maybe I don't understand your question. :wink:

The USB stick emulates the boot-prom in a real Synology device.

A real synology device is useless without any harddrives - and so is XPEnology.

Without any harddrives - no XPEnology.

When installing the pat-file from Synology, it is installed on all harddrives in the system, to make the system more robust. There is nothing you can do about this.

Nice one mate, I understand you loud and clear.. Thanks :smile:

FYI:

I was just expecting the installation to be similar to FreeNAS; with FreeNAS you can simply plug a USB stick in your machine and use that as your primary boot drive, regardless of whether you have your main storage disks installed or not. I made the post on the forum as I was curious as to whether that method could be used on this platform, but if you're saying this is how the genuine product behave then im fine with that.

- How does it work when im installing apps, will they just take up room on my storage HDDs, along with the systems configurations etc?

- Will they install across any drive I insert, or just the first ones?

Thanks for your time buddy, enjoy your weekend. :grin:

You're welcome. :smile:

When installing apps, they usually installs on the first volume you create on your harddrives. Therefore some people create a small volume (a few GBytes) as the very first volume to store only apps. Whether you create this volume on only 1 harddrive or create a RAID1/RAID5 over all your drives is a matter of choice.

Most apps with more data has the capability to change the path/share to where it will store these data, so it is able to separate programfiles from actual data.

Then create a volume 2 and maybe more to hold any other data-shares you may want.

My systems are setup with a small volume 1 to hold apps and a volume 2 using the rest of the space on my disks, in native RAID5.

Enjoy your weekend too. :grin:

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

just a question:

i have actally a VM with

HDD1 - IDE - VMDK with Xpenoboot

HDD2 - SCSI - 16GB VDMK where I suppose DSM got installed from Xpenoboot and it's booted everytime I restart the VM

I still didn't attach any big drive, but I'm planning on attaching 2 real drives in RDM mode to let the Synology VM use them as single volume with SHR

I thought the apps would have been installed in the actuall HDD2 alongside with the DSM but it's not like that?

So should I add a 3rd VMDK disk, make it a single volume using Synology Control Panel to install the apps?

if I try to use the 16GB HDD to make a volume it will delete everything, DSM included so it's not a good choice.

But can I use a smaller size HDD for DSM then?

In a tutorial I read the second drive I'll added should have been used for apps, that's while I made it 16GB larger..

thanks for explanation