XPEnology Community

Network speed too slow

b1lou

Hi everybody,

I have a question concerning network speed. When I download a large file from my NAS over gigabit LAN via FTP I get around 80MB/s, when uploading around 60MB/s. This seems pretty slow to me. My computer is connected directly to the NAS and I'm testing with an SSD on the computer side.

My NAS:

Mainboard: ASRock E3C226D2I

CPU: Intel BX80646I34330

RAM: 2x Kingston KVR16LE11S8/4KF ECC

HDDs: 6x Western Digital WD30EFRX Red 3TB (RAID 5)

HDDs run in AHCI mode, DSM version is the latest.

Has anybody an idea why I don't get full gigabit speed?

b1lou

Test with an other ethernet cable ?

With my NAS (I3 2100, 4Gb DDR3, RAID1 2*4Tb WD Red), I got same as you (around 60-80MB/s in R/W, but mostly 60MB/s). I hoped better at least in read (because RAID1 is normally very fast in read). I got the same results even with an SSD plugged into the NAS and in my computer !

Someone in this forum suggested me to change the network cable and ... now I get full speed in read/write (>100MB/s) !.

Your setup is better than mine, you should get the same speed ! So check with an other cable..

Hi everybody,

I have a question concerning network speed. When I download a large file from my NAS over gigabit LAN via FTP I get around 80MB/s, when uploading around 60MB/s. This seems pretty slow to me. My computer is connected directly to the NAS and I'm testing with an SSD on the computer side.

My NAS:

Mainboard: ASRock E3C226D2I

CPU: Intel BX80646I34330

RAM: 2x Kingston KVR16LE11S8/4KF ECC

HDDs: 6x Western Digital WD30EFRX Red 3TB (RAID 5)

HDDs run in AHCI mode, DSM version is the latest.

Has anybody an idea why I don't get full gigabit speed?

b1lou

I have a real Synology 1813+ with HDDs: 6x Western Digital WD30EFRX Red 3TB (RAID 5) exactly. While I don't use FTP, I use CIFS from my W10 box and I always see 105-113 MB/sec. Your hardware is better and should have no issues. PS I also sometimes run a lenovoTX140 server with Xeon and 5x2TB Hitachi on Xpenology and it also performs about the same in sequential read / write.

1) have you tried CIFS?

2) are you POSITIVE there is no other activity on your NAS at the same time? a little mixed read/write or random mixed with your sequential and performance will drop.

I've stopped every package, just to be sure there is no other activity, and tried it again, but I just get a really steady 80,x MB/s down and 64,x MB/s up on FTP. With SMB it's almost identical.

I should get a CAT6a cable today, capable of 10GBASE-T, to rule out the ethernet cable as inuites suggested.

EDIT: I've also looked into the Resource Monitor while downloading and the system is really bored. There is no obvious bottleneck.

Unfortunatly, it seems to be more complicated than it was for me.. Have you tested both NIC of your motherboard ? Maybe you can test with a Gigabit PCIe network adapter (if you have one of course) ?

EDIT : I just realized that you have 3 ethernet ports on your motherboard. I suggest you test all of them.

Do you have a cross over cable to test with between PC and server without router?

What router do you have? (This can make a huge difference.)

In fact, a buddy of mine gets similar speeds to you using an Asus RT-N16 running DD-WRT. I get 114MB/s on both my Asus RT-N16 running Merlin (and switch "nat" hardware acceleration back ported from the RT-N66u and enabled) or my Asus RT-AC66r with the same "NAT" acceleration enabled (CTF acceleration).

I've actually tested without a switch, just a direct connection between the NAS and the computer.

I've tested both ethernet ports on my NAS (the third one is just for management) and several ethernet adapters on the computer side. I haven't tested a pcie ethernet adapter in the NAS yet.

So, I've just tested with my notebook and it's pretty much the same, almost identical. I've just ordered an Intel Pro/1000 PT network adapter for my NAS, I'm pretty sure there has to be a solution to my problem..

Short question: what did you mean with "...directly connected to the NAS"? Are you using a crossover cat cable or are all devices (NAS & PC) connected to a switch/router?

You should check (if using a router or switch)

1.) If "Jumbo frames" are enabled in the DSM control panel (MTU 9000)

-> Control panel > Network > Network interface > LAN X (where X is the number of your network card if you use more than 1) > Edit

2.) If your switch or router support jumbo frames

Most switches support jumbo frames and it can give a boost to data transfers.

Cheers

With autosensing (Automatic MDI/MDI-X) you don't need a crossover cable to connect two network devices directly, so I've tested with a switch in between and without. I believe I have already tested jumbo frames without luck, but I can verify tomorrow.

So, since I was pretty confident the network adapters on my server board are pretty good, I put the Intel Pro/1000 PT in my pc instead of the NAS and lo and behold! I now get 115MB/s down and up, even without jumbo frames enabled. Now I'm happy :wink: You actually get what you pay for..

Thanks for all your support!