XPEnology Community

Unable to access shares after update 5.0 to 5.1

I've just updated from Nanoboot 5.0.3.2 running DSM 5.0-4528 to XPEnoboot 5.1-5055.1 and DSM 5.1-5055.

Everything appeared to go well, settings are all still present and correct, but when trying to access the shares or even the DiskStation through the network (via name or IP) through any of my Windows machines, Windows states "Windows cannot access \\DiskStation". I tried the diagnose through the prompts, which it advises "The remote device or resource won't accept the connection". I'm therefore thinking a setting has changed with the update?

Anyone any ideas what may be causing this?

Just wanted to add, I've been through various forums and tried changing the workgroup along with the netBIOS setting for ipv4, but still no luck.

Pinging the DNS name gives the correct IP and it does respond.

Also, using Synology Assistant, when mapping a network drive, I get an error, "The network path was not found.(53)".

I've turned off all security (AV and Firewalls), but still no success.

Apple products appear to connect fine, just Windows...

I'm guessing it's a setting somewhere, but can't see it anywhere, or something Windows is caching from 5.0?

Hello, first of all are you on a workgroup or a domain.

I'm on a workgroup and the machines and NAS are on the same workgroup.

Are you able to login in the web page? If yes try to create a new folder and see if it working.

I can log into the web interface fine, but as I'm not able to navigate to the NAS through explorer, I'm unable to map or see any of the drives on the NAS. The connection fails at the first step, just connecting to the NAS.

Any ideas?

Did you check the shares? And the permissions on the shares?

Is Windows file service enabled?

That was one of the first things I checked, as this was my concern. All shares are correct and the relevant tick boxes are ticked. I even tried disabling the Windows file service and restarting it, but no good.

It's so frustrating and I bet it's something simple that I've overlooked, but I've spent about 4 hours trying different things, but nothing appears to work...

Anything else I can try?

Did you try to map whit the ip not whit the name \\123.123.123.123\share to see if it will work

I have, yes. Was one of the first things I tried, as thought it might be DNS relaxed. But that didn't work.

I'm wondering if it's worth resetting or similar, as long as the data stays intact.

Just as an additional note, another NAS backs up to this NAS through Backup and Restore and it's saying my server is offline?

If you go in the web page and afther in the filestation do you see you stuff

They are indeed, all listed, checked and double checked permissions, everything appears exactly as it should do. Even on the power off, I pulled the power cord out to ensure a totally fresh start.

did you try to rename the DSM to see if it will do the same thing

Tried that one aswell. Even tried restoring an older backup of the settings.

It's very frustrating, as I'm sure you can imagine and greatly appreciate your continued help!

If only it were easier to post screenshots on this forum aswell!

Appologies. my issue is on the 5.2 but same issue. shares not showing up in windows.

I cannot map get an access denied error. even as admin

ive tried to flushdns, manual, static and dhcp leases workgroup is correct.

although it sometimes does allow me to use \\192.x.x.x to access the shares. sometimes via hostname \\server

any ideas would be helpful its good to know the issue persists from 5.1 - 5.2 though

Appologies. my issue is on the 5.2 but same issue. shares not showing up in windows.

I cannot map get an access denied error. even as admin

ive tried to flushdns, manual, static and dhcp leases workgroup is correct.

although it sometimes does allow me to use \\192.x.x.x to access the shares. sometimes via hostname \\server

any ideas would be helpful its good to know the issue persists from 5.1 - 5.2 though

can you ping your nas server