XPEnology Community

[Question] Surveillance Station Recordings Different Sizes

Super_Panda_

Hey everyone,

Everything on my NAS is working as it should (at least I hope so). But one thing I noticed today was that the file sizes of the recordings off my cameras are different file sizes, which range from 200MB up to about 700MB. All the settings are the same, and they are set to record continuously. So shouldn't they have around the same file size? This is just puzzling me and I can't seem to find anything online about it.

Thanks in Advance,

Super Panda

Information about my NAS:

DSM 5.2-5565 Update 1

Surveillance Station 7.0-3762

8 IP cams

If you need any other information about my NAS, feel free to ask me and I will provide it.

The amount of data that's recorded depends on several factors like how much motion you have in the image, changes in luminosity and some others. This usually happens if you have camera's set to do VBR. If you have CBR the files should be almost the same as the software tries to fill up the bit rate to match what you entered.

I havent looked at my 2 camera recording sizes, but i allocate a separate 500GB volume for it to write to to avoid my media volume

I have a whole Xpenology NAS set up for home surveillance, so space isn't an Issue. I was just curious about why the files were different sizes if all the settings are the same.

The amount of data that's recorded depends on several factors like how much motion you have in the image, changes in luminosity and some others. This usually happens if you have camera's set to do VBR. If you have CBR the files should be almost the same as the software tries to fill up the bit rate to match what you entered.

Thanks for the explanation, I couldn't find much about it online and was just curious about it.