XPEnology Community

Install on Nimble Storage Array

bughatti

Just curious if anyone else has tried this.  We had an old Nimble CS220 laying around at work, I was able to get 6.2 update 2 loaded on it and it runs like a champ with ssd cache and 2 10GB ethernet links.  I am interested in buying more used ones, maybe newer models and curious if anything has changed in the newer ones that would prevent me from installing.

On 12/17/2020 at 9:56 PM, bughatti said:

I am interested in buying more used ones, maybe newer models and curious if anything has changed in the newer ones that would prevent me from installing.

i found this (an as dsm relies on usb boot ....)

"...

All previous generaitons before Gen5 arrays ship with the USBs in the controllers. They have the bootloader loaded on them. We do not have FRU or parts for the NimbleOS USBs.

---"

2 hours ago, IG-88 said:

i found this (an as dsm relies on usb boot ....)

"...

All previous generaitons before Gen5 arrays ship with the USBs in the controllers. They have the bootloader loaded on them. We do not have FRU or parts for the NimbleOS USBs.

---"

Thank you for this information.  Could you provide any model numbers of controller arrays that are gen 4 and also what is the largest size sata hard drive that it will recognize.

1 minute ago, bughatti said:

Thank you for this information.  Could you provide any model numbers of controller arrays that are gen 4 and also what is the largest size sata hard drive that it will recognize.

no i just used a search engine to find that in a few minutes, this time you may try it yourself

only thing i also found out is that later versions use a m.2 module instead of usb to boot

4 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

no i just used a search engine to find that in a few minutes, this time you may try it yourself

only thing i also found out is that later versions use a m.2 module instead of usb to boot

I appreciate the information.  I have been searching, "nimble array gen 4", nothing pops out except that 2018 they announced gen 5, so I can safely assume anything made prior to 2018 would be usable, but I have found no document that says cs220 is gen X or cs460 is gen X.  I will do more digging though

31 minutes ago, bughatti said:

, nothing pops out except that 2018 they announced gen 5, so I can safely assume anything made prior to 2018 would be usable

as nimble was bought by HPE in spring 2017 it might be safe to say everything without a HPE sticker will be max. 4th gen and safe to use

never seen a unit IRl but that looks like a common server hardware

https://www.itpro.co.uk/640606/nimble-storage-cs240-review/page/0/2

"...

Nimble opted for Supermicro's 6036ST-6LR Storage Bridge Bay platform.

Motherboard: Supermicro X8DTS-F CPU: 2GHz Xeon E5504 Memory: 12GB DDR3 RAID controller: Supermicro AOM SAS2-L8

..."

the build seems to pretty non standard

DSCN3970.jpg

the controller is a good old lsi sas2008 chip based most people have here if its a sas controller and there is no limit with disk size

the thing not to have is lsi SAS1068/1078 these have a 2.2TB hardware limit so older nimble versions might be a hands off if they used these older sas1xxx chips

beside this you would need to check the hardware for storage before buying, dsm does nor have support for every storage controller, the only universal is the ahci support

Edited by IG-88

Although i understand the concept for the shake of experimentation, i trully think its a waste since all the great tech behind Nimble arrays is wasted with DSM. Maybe a VM accessing the Nimble arrays would be a better approach ?

Anyway i would also be interested on getting my hands on one of these :D how much do they sell ?

2 hours ago, pocopico said:

Although i understand the concept for the shake of experimentation, i trully think its a waste since all the great tech behind Nimble arrays is wasted with DSM. Maybe a VM accessing the Nimble arrays would be a better approach ?

Anyway i would also be interested on getting my hands on one of these :D how much do they sell ?

I get what you are saying.  We had one laying around in our datacenter that a customer left behind.  I decided to see if I could get it to work and it did and was easy.  I have installed DSM on many different parts over the years and this appliance by far was the easiest and appears to be the fastest,  We are only using it for a veeam backup over 10gb iscsi.  I guess in all retrospect, its really what management interface you prefer.  We have a bunch of equalogics that I am replacing with these because I hate the administrative nightmare of the EQ software.

I just found a few on ebay we are interested in getting.  From the little research I can find, the plan is to get a cs300, put 4 intel 480GB ssd's and 12 x 12TB Sata NAS drives in it.  Will probably buy 2 of them exactly the same and test out DSM's cluster software.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...