XPEnology Community

find.synology.com won't find xpenology on ESXi

xMugg

Question

Hello guys,

It's my first time trying to install XPenology on ESXi. My Problem is, that I can't find it over the Synology Assistant even it's starts perfectly. I assume, that it doesn't connent to the LAN because in the vSphere Client there isn't any IP shown. I've set the MAC-Adress in the grub.cfg on the Image-File to the same that the VM has. Also I can't see the virtual device on my router. I'm Running ESXi 7 and I followed this tutorial: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13061-tutorial-install-dsm-62-on-esxi-67/

If you need any more information PLEASE feel free to ask me, i really appreciate any help!

Thanks Guys!

4 answers to this question

4 hours ago, xMugg said:

Ok Nevermind, I can find it now. But now I can't install DSM Properly, It's always asking to restore the settings, because the Drive has been moved to new hardware. Any Ideas what the problem is?

Oh yeah and even after I click on restore the same message will pop up again.

On 12/17/2020 at 2:24 AM, xMugg said:

Hello guys,

It's my first time trying to install XPenology on ESXi. My Problem is, that I can't find it over the Synology Assistant even it's starts perfectly. I assume, that it doesn't connent to the LAN because in the vSphere Client there isn't any IP shown. I've set the MAC-Adress in the grub.cfg on the Image-File to the same that the VM has. Also I can't see the virtual device on my router. I'm Running ESXi 7 and I followed this tutorial: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13061-tutorial-install-dsm-62-on-esxi-67/

If you need any more information PLEASE feel free to ask me, i really appreciate any help!

Thanks Guys!

i just encounter the same problem, how did you solve that?

I had the same problem, running it as a VM on ESXi. What fixed it was booting from a Live-CD Linux, going into a linux bash terminal, mounting the synoboot vmdk disk:

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

cd /mnt/grub

nano grub.cfg

Editing the grub.cfg and modify the set sn= and set mac1= entries. The critical one is the set mac1= to match your virtual nic mac address for your vm. (I think).

I did this and then was able to find my expenology box.