XPEnology Community

is the latest XPEnology software able to Transcode?

leonacn

Hi everyone, i was just wondering if the xpenology software (current version) is able to transcode to my I-devices like iPad, iPhone and Macbook...compared to an original synology server?

I just saw this on the Synology website about Transcoding https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/faq/577 ...and i saw that the DS3615xs machine (which i have the current xpenology bootimage for) is stated as an Group 1 - Type 2 machine, which will not transcode either MKV, MP4, MOV, M4V files..nor either transcode to full 1080P, but "only" 720P..but the Type 1 machines will do it all almost?? Can someone more experienced explain me actually why?

/Leon

Doesn't seem to work for me. It just keeps loading infinitely. That chart is specifically for the Synology Video station app that, I think, uses the hardware acceleration on the real Synology devices. However, Plex Media server can transcode most of the content without the hardware acceleration.While I mostly use my Plex for streaming videos from server to pc and tv. Transcoding to my Android phone seems to work fine. The difference between Plex and Video station is that you might get heavy cpu load during transcoding on Plex. If your processor is Atom, then it might choke completely.On the other hand, If its i3-i7,xeon, then it should be fine.

After some testing, I came to the conclusion that Plex also supports hardware acceleration for certain video formats.