XPEnology Community

DIY Hackinology or DS220+ as first NAS ??

fedex

Hello everyone, I introduce myself, my name is Federico.

I've been following the forum threads for a few weeks, and I have decided to come to you for help!!!  😅
I've made the decision to invest in a NAS.

The use that I am going to give it is exclusively for home use. 

The idea is to stop using google photos, drive, etc. and opt for a self-managed solution.

Also, I am a software developer and I would like to also be able to use it to run

• NodeJS
  • MongoDB
  • Apache or Nginx
  • Some docker containers.

I do not have a discarded laptop or pc, so i need to decide how to invest the money.

I live in a small apartment and space is an aspect to consider.

The two options I have thought of are:

• Brand new Synology's DS220+
    • Amazon sells this new model for €299.
    • There are none published second-hand.
  • 2nd hand laptop (until 300€)
    • Procesors: 6700HQ , 7700HQ, 8550U, 8250U
    • Memory: 8GB to 16GB DDR4 (2133mhz to 2400mhz)
    • Drives: the idea is a laptop that has a SATA DVD drive, to replace with This kind of adapters
      • 1 x 2.5 SATA3 SSD 1TB in sandard sata laptop port
      • 1 x 2.5 SATA3 SSD 1TB in DVD adapter device
    • Ethernet: Gigabit ethernet depending on laptop brand.

* The laptop would be second-hand, but the ssd drives would be new.

* In case of going for the DS220 the discs would be the ones that you recommend.

As you can see, the size is XXS.

At the moment I don't have a lot of photos, music, videos so I think this is enough for me.

It is important for me to have them in RAID 1 to avoid risking data loss if one of the disks fails.

As I have read in an IG-88 post that the Raid that DSM implements is via software, so I don't think I should worry about the RAID support of the mobo.

• Considering my case, would a laptop be viable to run XPEnology?
  • If I go with DIY option, wich processors recomend me?

Thank you very much in advance!!! 🙌
Cheers!!!

Thank you premikkoci! i will take in account! 

I honestly thought the community was a bit more open. About a year ago I have been setting up a hackintosh, I have posted in forums dedicated to this, people have responded to me with enthusiasm. Anyway, thanks for exposing the files to take the first steps.

Laptop is not ideal because of a lack of ports to connect disks.  You seem to be looking for validation of your idea and maybe folks don't agree with it - don't mistake that as a lack of openness or enthusiasm.

Best results come from hardware platforms that are closer to Synology hardware.  Can you get it up and running?  Sure.  But as mentioned, not ideal.

The idea of having a small and powerful NAS was the driving force that took me to Xpenology. I had a QNAP before (ARM „cpu“), then I did some experiments with Xpenology on older hardware (i5 4th gen mini pc) and read myself through all the relevant threads right here. Original Syno was alwasy no option, as their hardware wasn‘t enough for me. I like the flexibility of self-made servers.

I would suggest not to use a notebook for that, as it is very unusual and may bear problems in hardware maintenance. I would go for a (used) Xeon/i5/i3/Pentium Gold in a small case, which should be possible with your mentioned budget. For me it took quite a while to find an appropiate case, but I ended up with a Chenbro SR30169. Very nice designed and high quality case. But it only fits mini-ITX boards... (see my signature).

Greetings

- original DS220+ would need more RAM (default is 2GB) so €299 in not realistic with what you where planing to run (that might tip the scale to notebook/custom build)

- plan a usb drive for backups, raid1 is not a replacement for backups, use a 2TB drive and keep older generations of backup available (incremental backups)

- both DS220+and a notebook would prevent any additional disks (usb disks can't be used in data raids and and non-synology sata multiplexer housings dont work with dsm, can work only if the housing has its own raid and presents it as one volume), most system boards come with 4 sata ports and a slightly bigger case will offer at least 4 disks slots (hot swap looks nice but is optional, disks are not replaced that often and a more tech oriented people dont need a match of slots between gui and real hardware)

- both DS220+ and a notebook dont have the option to extend by pcie slot, that can be 10G nic, 2 x nvme as pcie card, more sata ports, 2.5G/5G might be added by usb adapter on DS220+ and notebook

- keep your backup concept in mind, like local data to nas to usb hdd (last one for storing backups outside your home or at least offline in case of encryption trojans or similar), when using media exclusive on nas there is one stage missing and when usb backups are not made that often it leaves a gap

- if planing ahead for bigger hardware is a thing then mini-ITX with only one pcie slot can be a limit, a micro ATX board has more options long term (you might end up using esxi and dsm as vm and other services independent from dsm as vm)