XPEnology Community

Upgraded CPU from 2 core to 2 thread to a Xeon. Do I need to change my DSM version to match the CPU?

I was running DSM 6.1.7 for the DS3615xs on a two core, two thread Pentium G3258 as it was the closest to my bare metal hardware.

Recently I upgraded the CPU to a Xeon 1240 V3. The system certainly runs faster. DS Photo and moments were never finishing with their indexing but the Xeon changed that super fast. 
The control panel still says it is running only 2 cores. PHOTO BELOW.

Will changing Juns loader to one for the DS3617xs or DS918+ make any real difference? If so which of these would be the better choice?

Also is there any noticeable advantage moving from DSM 6.1.7 to 6.2?

Lastly, will changing the DSM version mean I lose the data on the current system and will need to restart from scratch? The files on it are a back up so it is not critical, however it does take time to do this.

Thank you

screen-capture-1.thumb.jpg.0ae71e1777b6ffb3598a7362e0dffae2.jpg

34 minutes ago, grandad said:

I was running DSM 6.1.7 for the DS3615xs on a two core, two thread Pentium G3258 as it was the closest to my bare metal hardware.

Recently I upgraded the CPU to a Xeon 1240 V3. The system certainly runs faster. DS Photo and moments were never finishing with their indexing but the Xeon changed that super fast. 
The control panel still says it is running only 2 cores. PHOTO BELOW.

Will changing Juns loader to one for the DS3617xs or DS918+ make any real difference? If so which of these would be the better choice?

Lastly, will changing the DSM version mean I lose the data on the current system and will need to restart from scratch? The files on it are a back up so it is not critical, however it does take time to do this.

The control panel CPU information is hardcoded to the DSM platform and is cosmetic.  Your system is actually are using all the cores and hyperthreads.  Changing to another platform will only net you more performance if you changed to a chip with >4 cores.

Whether you should change to another platform or version is up to you and the features you want.  Refer to the capabilities table here:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

It is possible to change DSM versions and incorporate your existing data.  It is also possible to make a mistake and make your data inaccessible.  The problem that is most prevalent is that there is some incompatibility or procedural error which makes your system unable to boot post-upgrade.  Your data is safe but then you have to work through the problem.  Some folks are unable to figure out the problem and then elect to install from scratch, either ignoring or damaging their data in the process.

• Like 1

Much thanks. That clarifies things immensely. I use the system as a back up server for an actual Synology unit, so a fresh install wouldn't be a huge crisis. I used the table you referred to for my initial choice to use loader 1.02B & DS3615xs 6.1.7 as it is recommended as the most compatible.

I upgraded the CPU as I need the horsepower for the Photos app as well as testing Moments. Both run great with the new CPU. I only hope the new Photos app for DSM7 can be installed on 6.1 and 6.2 devices

On 12/13/2020 at 5:28 PM, grandad said:

Will changing Juns loader to one for the DS3617xs or DS918+ make any real difference?

918+ has m.2 nvme vach driver support (usually only makes sense with 2 for r/w cahe and with 10G nic) a driver for hardware accelerated transcoding of intel qick sync video, but only you old cpu had intel qsv so its not of importance anymore

i guess moments supports jpeg with intel qsv but i have now clue how mach faster IRL it would be but i guess the storage speed will also have a big impact if you process half a million pictures, pretty sure it will be a nice number for intel qsv when using ssd as disk or having it all in a nvme r/w cache (and "preloaded" so you will have 100% r/w speed of nvme)

On 12/13/2020 at 5:28 PM, grandad said:

security updates and fixes, i dont think there is much performance gain

3 hours ago, flyride said:

No word on that yet, would be nice if Synology would do that though.

we know at least dsm 7.0 has a different package format and 7.0 packages can't be installed on 6.x

(same the other way, no old packages on 7.0)

if they leave out older units with 7.0 that are within the 5 year support they might need to provide packages for dsm 6.2

3 hours ago, grandad said:

Photos app as well as testing Moments. Both run great with the new CPU. I only hope the new Photos app for DSM7 can be installed on 6.1 and 6.2 devices

if it really is important you can buy a original unit at any time, that will have dsm 7.0 and the latest photo/moments package

also dont count on xpenology dsm 7.0 (aka a loader for dsm 7.0) - nothing has been heard or seen

sd

3 hours ago, grandad said:

I only hope the new Photos app for DSM7 can be installed on 6.1 and 6.2 devices

3 hours ago, flyride said:

No word on that yet, would be nice if Synology would do that though.

23 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

we know at least dsm 7.0 has a different package format and 7.0 packages can't be installed on 6.x

(same the other way, no old packages on 7.0)

if they leave out older units with 7.0 that are within the 5 year support they might need to provide packages for dsm 6.2

Yes, but nothing stops Synology from creating and publishing a 6.x package of the Photos app.  As I said, It would be nice if they would backport that tech to 6.x but odds are that they won't.