XPEnology Community

Xpenology and QNAP TR-004

nongsung

Hi All,

My QNAP died some months ago and I switched to a self built Openmediavault with two QNAP TR-004's connected to USB 3. 

Everything works fine but going back to either QNAP or Synology has my preference; well, not QNAP anymore because it

was an expensive machine and now collecting dust.

My TR-004's are in RAID-5 (QNAP hardware raid and EXT4) and I really would like to try Xpenology on my Openmediavault machine.

I have the install usb disk ready to go...

Question is; will my TR-004's work without re-initializing; don't want to restore terrabytes of data.

I have double backups though.

Please enlighten me.

Thanks in advance,

nongsung

1 hour ago, nongsung said:

Question is; will my TR-004's work without re-initializing; don't want to restore terrabytes of data.

I have double backups though.

two problems (that are connected), 1st usb devices can not be used as disk for a normal data volume, it will be only usable as external (removable) media, thats how dsm works / handles things by design

2nd, DSM/Xpenology is different from qnap, it installs on every (internal) disk of the system as raid1 over all disks, the usb DOM for DSM only holds the boot loader, exactly the same as with xpenology where you use a usb flash drive, for every "internal" disk that holds volume data dsm will create two partitions at the start (system and swap) and behind these two will  be the space for partition(s) that hold data volume(s), so even if you could install to a usb media it would not be possible to keep the data on that disks

also its important on what hardware you want to use/install dsm, you did not mention that detail (the hardware omv is running now)

in theory you would install the disks of the qnap usb housings as sata in the system omv is running on now, delete all partitions on them and install dsm with the usb loader on these disks, you could use the qnap's for local usb backup with dsm later (or sell them and have two dsm systems syncing with rsync?)

maybe read the faq and the other link to get the background you might need for dsm

https://xpenology.com/forum/forum/83-faq-start-here/

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

Thanks IG-88, your answer is not what I hoped for but I was expecting something along these lines.

Have to do my home work because my MB does not have enough sata ports and I've run out of PCI-e

slots too. Time for a rethink!

Thanks a bunch,

regards,

Nongsung

Got it working!

Set-up of raspberry pi 4 as a samba server with my two QNAP TR004's.

On the PC I installed Xpenology and connected the two CIFS.

Then installed Plex, Home assistant, Homebridge and Moments.

Plex is seeing the CIFS shared drives and homebridge/home assistant were a breeze to get going.

Moments is now very busy processing 50.000 photos. More to upload to Moments later this week.

Can now get rid of my 2TB Google photos subscription!

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Nongsung

5 hours ago, nongsung said:

Set-up of raspberry pi 4 as a samba server with my two QNAP TR004's.

On the PC I installed Xpenology and connected the two CIFS.

i guess you could also have the units connected local as usb (5GBit usb3 instead of 1GBit by network) and use fstab to link them into a directory inside of your disks data volume

would be faster, lower latency and does not need a additional hardware/os/maintenance as with the raspi

i dont know if that fstab change survives a bigger update but even if not, if can be easily be redone

5 hours ago, nongsung said:

Yeah, it would be faster and I could manage that using fstab.

What I wonder is; can I SMB share these two disks over my network?

even if you plug the drives in and synology finds them as external usb device they will have a share without doing something

(best way would be to blacklist them the same way as the boot device is blacklisted to not show up as external device)

if you mount it inside /volume1 i don't see why you should not be able to create a share inside the dsm gui, its just a directory that gets a share

and even if not you could do it manually too and if saved in the way its done when doing it the filemanager if should not get lost even over updates

there is also a non synology way, you could have a vm with qnap's software and connect the usb devices local to the vm (doing it in a vm seems to be easier, but i do not follow this thread as i'm not going to use two different systems)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/27543-qnap-auf-eigener-hardware/

'even if you plug the drives in and synology finds them as external usb device they will have a share without doing something'

Unfortunately only one of my TR004's is detected (and shared) the other one is present in external devices but needs formatting...

Strange because they both have only one partition and both EXT4...

18 hours ago, nongsung said:

Unfortunately only one of my TR004's is detected (and shared) the other one is present in external devices but needs formatting...

Strange because they both have only one partition and both EXT4...

if the config would be right then both usb would be presented as external devices, and a single ext4 partition should be working

usb con be misconfigured (can be on purpose) to be seen as internal drives but that pretty dangerous as this manually changes config will be lost on bigger updates and the data drives will not be seen after update, also to use them as "normal" data drives they would be needed to have different partition layout, there a 2.4GB and a 2GB partition on every internal disk (dsm system and swap as raid1 on every disk) and the space for data partitions  starts after this,  beside the danger of intentionally moving usb drives to internal, you also did not want to reinstall/reconfigure your raid volumes of the qnap's

my suggestion would be to make sure both usb units are seen as usb external drives

OK, first concern is to get DSM running as I want it to run.

Docker, homebridge, home assistant, pihole and plex are all up and running but plex is using the shared media via the raspberry shares.

I will look into that later using your remarks. Worst case, format them and restore the data...

Main reason for switching from OMV to DSM is Moments... and it does not recognize faces and subjects.

Started with an Intel I3 9100F and realized this morning that without an iGPU there's not change on HW acc and (maybe) faces/subjects in Moments.

This afternoon I switched the processor with an Intel I7 8700 (overkill, I know).

Removed Moments, re-installed Moments and added a 1000 photos but...only places are recognized.

The script that I found somewhere does not work because I'm on (DS918+) DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Nongsung

On 12/18/2020 at 9:32 AM, nongsung said:

Main reason for switching from OMV to DSM is Moments... and it does not recognize faces and subjects.

On 12/18/2020 at 9:32 AM, nongsung said:

The script that I found somewhere does not work because I'm on (DS918+) DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3

you  need to extend the script to recognize 6.2.3, the patches seem to work with u3 too

beside the patch you would need my extra/extra2 for 6.2.3 to get i915 driver working, the driver in jun's original extra/extra2 will prevent the i915 from dsm 6.2.3 to work properly, my newer 6.2.3 extra/extra2 removes jun's i915 and makes properly way to make dsm's own (improved) i915 work (check /var/log/dmesg if i915 driver is loaded properly or check that devices in /dev/dri are present

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/30552-transcoding-and-face-recognitionpeople-and-subjects-issue-fix-in-once/

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Jlozde/xpenology-6.2.3-easyfix/master/patch.sh

["1d01ee38211f21c67a4311f90315568b3fa530e6"]="6.2.1-23824-0_6.2.3-25426-2"

->

["1d01ee38211f21c67a4311f90315568b3fa530e6"]="6.2.1-23824-0_6.2.3-25426-3"

and

"6.2.3 25426-1"
    "6.2.3 25426-2"
)

->

"6.2.3 25426-1"
    "6.2.3 25426-2"

"6.2.3 25426-3"
)

Edited by IG-88

Thanks for your detailed answer, much appreciated!
For the time being I switched back to OMV but Saturday I'm going to give DSM another try.

Thanks for the missing pieces regarding the script, I'll modify it and run it as soon as the machine is up again.
One small question though, the i915 fix seems to be about the 9th & 10th gen, mine is a coffee lake 8th gen (0E92).
Not absolutely clear now if I need that fix or not.
Please advice.

Kindest regards,

Nongsung

OK, I took the plunge, removed OMV and installed DSM, ran your adapted script and BOOM, faces works!

Installed docker, plex, homebridge, homeassistant & pihole and everything works great.

Re-format the stubborn TR-004 and both are working fine (and are shared over the network).

So right now I'm happy, the only thing is now the 3E92... necessary or not?

Thanks for your help, super!

Regards,

Nongsung

• 6 months later...

Joining this party a bit late but I was successful in getting Moments with Face Recognition in a temporary installation in a Haswell based machine. I'm excited to consider this as an alternative to Google Photos.

My production machines are either VMs on ESXi on Haswell or baremetal AMD machines as per my signature. Any hope of running on any of these?

If the hardware is capable, is there even a non-destructive way to go from a 3615xs installation to a 918+ one?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

As long as you are installing the same or higher version, it wont kill your data or config.   Also, take a backup of your config onto your desktop in case you need it.  

If for some reason it doesn't work, reinstall the 3615.  AND you will have the backup config to set all the settings back 

I am only referring to bare metal.  I don't know about it as a VM

Edited by smoothmove
added info