XPEnology Community

Login & root issues - Best course of action

WannabeMKII

Hi all, I'm after some assistance, as I'm in a bit of a situation on a barebones N54L running from an internal USB.

1. I don't seem to be able to access the server to run updates, as the root password no longer appears to work after the last update, mentioned here -http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5051 Therefore, still running an older version that I'd like to update

2. When trying to log into the web interface, or network shares with my account, I get an error message. Through the web interface, it's "You cannot log into the system the disk space is full currently. Please restart the system and try again". I've tried this, with no success, as I still can't access the GUI or network shares. I've read that certain log files need to be deleted using root, but as I've no root access, I'm unable to do this

As you can see, I'm in quite a situation where I'm unable to access the system at all to resolve anything... :sad:

Therefore, I'm after assistance with regards to what my options? Just to add, I'd REALLY like to keep all the data on the drives (3x 4TB drives in SHR). Also, I do have a second brand N54L in a box unused if that could help? Perhaps a new USB and move the drives across?

Can anyone offer some guidance, as any help would be greatly appreciated!

Anyone any ideas or suggestions, as I'm stuck at the moment... Nearly 100 views, I was hoping someone could help point me in the right direction?

Can I save the data on the drives if I build a new XPEnology NAS with the spare N54L I have?

Any suggestions / ideas more than welcome!!

Nanoboot bootloaders are for DSM 5.0 and below. The big question is what update did you apply?

If it was something greater than 5.0, than you'll need to use the appropriate bootloader. I'm not sure how you'll figure that out if you are unsure, since you can't login to the box w/ your old root password.... maybe it is booting in an unconfigured state, and expects the root password that is based on the current time and date:

1st character = month in hexadecimal, lower case (1=Jan, … , a=Oct, b=Nov, c=Dec)
2-3 = month in decimal, zero padded and starting in 1 (01, 02, 03, …, 11, 12)
4 = dash
5-6 = day of the month in hex (01, 02 .., 0A, .., 1F)
7-8 = greatest common divisor between month and day, zero padded. This is always a number between 01 and 12.

Today, in my timezone, password = 606-1602

edit: paste the following in a google spreadsheet to calculate unconfigured root password:

=CONCATENATE(DEC2HEX(MONTH(NOW())), TEXT(MONTH(NOW()) , "00") , "-", DEC2HEX(DAY(NOW()),2), TEXT((GCD(DAY(NOW()),MONTH(NOW()))) , "00"))

Great news, I've now got root access again! :grin: So a step in the right direction.

What is my next best step? I'm assuming something to do with XPENOboot?

I'm currently using Nanoboot 5.0.3.2 and running DSM 5.0-4528.

I'd like to update to a more recent version, but keep all my files and setting intact. How am I best to go about this?

FYI - I'm unable to log into the web interface, with an error of "You cannot login to the system because the disk space is full currently. Please restart the system and try again".

Again all help appreciated and the help so far has been brilliant in moving me forwards!! :wink:

Quick update - I tried a reboot to see if that resolved the login issues and now the drives don't appear to be mounting, so I've now lost all storage :shock:

This is all I see:

DiskStation> df -h

Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on

/dev/md0 2.3G 2.3G 0 100% /

/tmp 1.9G 216.0K 1.9G 0% /tmp

Any ideas?

Quick update - I tried a reboot to see if that resolved the login issues and now the drives don't appear to be mounting, so I've now lost all storage :shock:

This is all I see:

DiskStation> df -h

Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on

/dev/md0 2.3G 2.3G 0 100% /

/tmp 1.9G 216.0K 1.9G 0% /tmp

Any ideas?

look for some really big log files to delete. probably something like that that caused the disk to become full.

look for some really big log files to delete. probably something like that that caused the disk to become full.

Apologies for the straightforward question, but how would I find them and how would I then delete them?

You'll have to start researching:

Google: "Synology md0 full site:forum.synology.com"

Thanks for the pointer, I've found the following;

DiskStation> du -ks *
796     bin
0       core
96      dev
6184    etc
5768    etc.defaults
4       initrd
149480  lib
5276    lib64
4       lost+found
4       mnt
12      proc
8       root
8       run
5288    sbin
0       sys
376     tmp
338176  usr
1880304 var
156     var.defaults
4       volume1
4       volumeUSB1
4       volumeUSB2

Then;

DiskStation> cd /var
DiskStation> du -ks *
4       db
4       empty
76      lib
8       lock
1879636 log
12      net-snmp
308     packages
12      quarantine
188     run
12      services
24      spool
8       state
8       synobackup
0       tmp

Then;

DiskStation> cd /var/log/
DiskStation> du -ks *
45052   cloudsync
4       cluster
102932  cstn
4       disk_log.xml
4       disk_overview.xml
368     dmesg
48      dmesg.1.xz
28      dpkg.log
24      dpkg_upgrade.log
52      httpd
28      log.nmbd
24      log.smbd
4       lv_log_expand
4       lvm_lv_create_log
65164   messages
168     messages.1.xz
168     messages.2.xz
168     messages.3.xz
168     messages.4.xz
0       mount.log
4       nginx
0       partition
28      postgresql.log
1662744 router.log
0       rsync.error
120     scemd.log
4       smart_quick_log
1208    synolog
8       synopkg.log
4       synoupdate.log
520     syslog.log
4       timebkp.debug
576     upstart

So if I'm reading that correctly, it's the "router.log" file that's causing the issue? Does that appear correct? I've search for info on that log file, with no luck. What's it's for and can I safely remove it? Or have I got it totally wrong?

Thanks.

Well, I managed to resolve the issue and regain full access. Left it running a while, rebooted etc and everything is great.

Updated to 5.1 and sticking with that for the time being, as 5.2 appears to drop the network connection.

Thanks again to everyone for their help!