XPEnology Community

KVM on Xpenology

digdug

Question

I have a baremetal Xpenology running on an HP EliteDesk G1 with an i7 and 16 GB ram.  So, I want to push it a little.

The Virtual Machine Manager is lacking in the configuration options.

I saw this post on the Synology forum: https://community.synology.com/enu/forum/1/post/123253

It details running KVM directly after installing VMM, but not running it.

I'm running into problems with loading the kvm modules.  I get the "Unknown System in Module" error.

However, if I just run VMM, the KVM module does load and I can indeed load and run a VM.

Does anyone have experience running KVM in linux and loading modules on Synology and can give me some hints?

Thanks!

1 answer to this question

The problem was quite simple.  The KVM module was dependent on the irqbypass module.  Once I loaded that, I was able to load the KVM module.

However, I decided the the points in that forum post were mostly moot for my installation. I'm not worried about the overhead of the Open VM Switch and I'll be starting the VM from the command line or through a script anyway.

I used the info from https://github.com/foxlet/macOS-Simple-KVM and now have a virtual MacOS running on my Xpenology box.

I'm having some trouble with the permissions to connect to the VNC service that QEMU is running.

I can get to it if I start a noVNC service and connect to that.  I'd like to connect directly using a proper VNC service.  The mouse is not quite right in the browser.