XPEnology Community

GigaByte J3455 weird multicore problem

rene7220

I have been running Xpenology on a home-built system for about two years now.
I am using a Gigabyte J3455 motherboard with 16 GB RAM and 4 hard disks.
The Intel J3455 is a quad core processor without hyperthreading. The hardware
is similar to a Synology DS918+.

I am running DSM 6.2.3 bare metal, using DS918+ software with Jun's bootlader 1.04b.

The system has been running reliably for two years now, except for one
thing: booting is unreliable and slow. Sometimes the system doesn't boot at
all and needs to be restarted. Sometimes it boots but there is no network connection.
When it boots OK, it takes about 7 minutes before the system is online.

Last week I tried to reduce the power consumption of the system by disabling
processor cores via the BIOS. Much to my surprise, the system boots reliably
with just one core active, and also boots much faster: about 2 minutes instead of 7 minutes.
The web interface also seems more responsive with just one core enabled.

I have tried different settings with 1 to 4 cores enabled, and the system boots
much slower as the number of active cores increases. Also the boot problems get
worse as the number of active cores increases.

File transfers are also a bit faster using one core only: 114 MB/sec read/write (1 core)
and 101 MB/sec read/write with 4 cores enabled. The CPU load with 1 core is nearly 100%
during these transfers, and far less with 4 cores.

Pretty weird, huh?

Any thoughts?

On 12/10/2020 at 9:34 AM, rene7220 said:

Last week I tried to reduce the power consumption of the system by disabling
processor cores via the BIOS. Much to my surprise, the system boots reliably
with just one core active, and also boots much faster: about 2 minutes instead of 7 minutes.
The web interface also seems more responsive with just one core enabled.

i'vre read the complete opposite when when using a VM with just one core, two a the suggested minimum

the last one core synology dsm unit is from 2016 and hat a Marvell Armada (no x86)

On 12/10/2020 at 9:34 AM, rene7220 said:

Pretty weird, huh?

yes

one thing "unusal" too mightbe the 16GB RAM, the intel spec for this soc is max. 8GB

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/95594/intel-celeron-processor-j3455-2m-cache-up-to-2-3-ghz.html

so maybe reduce to 8GB and try again with 4 corers (i've seen that gigayte does have 16GB max in its specs for the GA-J3455N-D3H but trying 8GB does not hurt)

i'vre read the complete opposite when when using a VM with just one core, two a the suggested minimum

the last one core synology dsm unit is from 2016 and hat a Marvell Armada (no x86)

So moving the Xpenology setup to a VM might help? I think the J3455 is not powerful enough to run VM's at an acceptable speed,

and might be too limited in virtualization support anyway.

one thing "unusal" too mightbe the 16GB RAM, the intel spec for this soc is max. 8GB

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/95594/intel-celeron-processor-j3455-2m-cache-up-to-2-3-ghz.html

so maybe reduce to 8GB and try again with 4 corers (i've seen that gigayte does have 16GB max in its specs for the GA-J3455N-D3H but trying 8GB does not hurt)

I have already tried this last week (forgot to mention this in my 1st post, sorry). Reducing RAM to 8 GB does not change anything.

Besides, the system runs fine with 16 GB and only 1 core active.

Thanks, anyway.

1 hour ago, rene7220 said:

So moving the Xpenology setup to a VM might help? I think the J3455 is not powerful enough to run VM's at an acceptable speed,

and might be too limited in virtualization support anyway.

VM usage was not my suggestion, i was just pointing out that one core is not the use case for dsm and has more problems then solutions

i never tried a 1core dsm, not in vm or baremetal because its below minimum what synology sells as hardware, the not even test it in that direction, so its kind of unsupported

1 hour ago, rene7220 said:

I have already tried this last week (forgot to mention this in my 1st post, sorry). Reducing RAM to 8 GB does not change anything.

Besides, the system runs fine with 16 GB and only 1 core active.

there are also "generic" suggestions like check what mode it boots (uefi or csm, maybe disable csm), bios update, reset to bios defaults

or maybe try 3617 loader 1.03 with a single empty disk (csm mode active and non uefi usb boot device) and see if that changes anything

it must be specific to you system/bios the soc/chipset is widely used here

maybe look in the update report section to find some one with the same board and as him about his bios version ans settings

VM usage was not my suggestion, i was just pointing out that one core is not the use case for dsm and has more problems then solutions

i never tried a 1core dsm, not in vm or baremetal because its below minimum what synology sells as hardware, the not even test it in that direction, so its kind of unsupported

Oops, I misunderstood your message then.

there are also "generic" suggestions like check what mode it boots (uefi or csm, maybe disable csm), bios update, reset to bios defaults

or maybe try 3617 loader 1.03 with a single empty disk (csm mode active and non uefi usb boot device) and see if that changes anything

it must be specific to you system/bios the soc/chipset is widely used here

maybe look in the update report section to find some one with the same board and as him about his bios version ans settings

I will look into this, although I have already tried different BIOS settings. Thanks.