XPEnology Community

Cant change encrypted folder access rights after update(5.2)

passuff

Folder access rights changed on some of my encrypted shared folders after updating to DSM 5.2.

I identified it very fast and tried to change them back to the right way. Unfortunately I recieved the following error message:

"The volume where the share is located does not support ACL. PLease refer to Help for more information."

Refernig to help I found out that only ext4 volumes can handle ACL...But my single Raid volume is ext4 and was all the time...

I tried to create a new folder and change access right. Everything went fine. THen I created a new encrypted folder and tried to change access rights and tadam, same error message again. So I think something went wrong when I moved from DSM 5.1 to 5.2.. Anybody has a clue how I can solve this?

• 2 weeks later...

I backed up files and completely restored file system with a fresh 5.2. I didn't restore the setting and did all manually again but still cant change permissions for encrypted folders.

I finally solved it by just downgrading to 5.1. I'm afraid it's a bug of 5.2 and I will never be able to upgrade again..

• 2 weeks later...

I installed the new instance with v5.2 and have the same problem. Can not create encrypted share folder, always get "The volume where the share is located does not support ACL. Please refer to Help for more information."

Anybody using v5.2, can you please try to make encrypted share folder and report?

Tnx

B.

• 2 weeks later...
I installed the new instance with v5.2 and have the same problem. Can not create encrypted share folder, always get "The volume where the share is located does not support ACL. Please refer to Help for more information."

Anybody using v5.2, can you please try to make encrypted share folder and report?

Tnx

B.

Did you solve the problem? I'm still on latest 5.1 because I'm afraid of the same issue happening again..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

i tried on 5.2.5592 and 5.2.5664 and i have this problem as well in that i cannot edit ACL/permissions for existing encrypted folders, nor can I create any new encrypted shared folders either. is this a confirmed bug that is only correctable via downgrade to DSM 5.1? or have there been any solutions/fixes in the interim?

I stayed with DSM 5.1-5022 because in newer versions either HDD spin down or encryption stopped working... As far as I know no one cared about it so far so I expect it to be a Xpenology bug and not Synology. I asked synology support team for that issue but they didn't reply.

That bug is quite annoying as there are some new features in 5.2. I'm surprised it has not been addressed in over 6 months. While less than ideal, have you downgraded to change/edit/create permissions, then subsequently updated to the latest 5.2 version?

i wound up downgrading to 5.1.5055 to create some shares and change my ACL permissions. then i upgraded to again 5.2.5644. however, even with the ACL permissions corrected, i still had problems writing to the encrypted shared folders (getting errors that i did not have permission) on DSM 5.2. ultimately i had to downgrade to 5.1.5055 again and it looks like i'm sticking with that release until the issue has been corrected. i'm not sure what the new features are between DSM 5.1 and 5.2, but i'm also concerned of any security updates and other bug fixes that may have been corrected since DSM 5.1.

honestly for a NAS, this ACL permission bug is a huge issue that should be getting more attention and getting fixed.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I'm on DSM 5.2-5592 Update 4 bare metal (hp n36l, but I also tried with the latest version on virtualbox) and I succesfully changed folder's permission from ssh.

If your encrypted folder is "backup" on volume1, you must change permission on folder "@backup@"

First mount encrypted folder from DSM and then connect via ssh and do:

n36l> cd /volume1/
n36l> chmod 0777 @backup@

I used 0777, maybe it also works with more restrictive permissions.

ema

• 3 weeks later...
Hi! I tried it and it works. But the problem is that with this way it's not possible to set folder permissions for specific users and groups. or is it???

I think you're right... I've not tested it, becouse my xpe build it's only for backup a real synobox, so I need only 1 user.

ema

Hi all.

I was about to move from DS111 to XPEnology. I use encrypted shares and just found out this annoying bug with ACL permissions.

What is the latest software version that works well in this matter? Is it 5.1 5055 or later?

Also: is there any major differences between DSM v5.1 and v5.2?

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...