XPEnology Community

New HP Gen 8 Installation, best practice?

Just purchased a HP gen 8 for Xpenology and I'm slightly overwhelmed with the install options available to me, just wondering if anyone could give me some best practise advice so I can get it right first time! I've had a little search but most of the threads I'm finding seem to be quite old (not sure if the information is relevant anymore!).

I planning to use the machine for only Xpenology, is there any point in me running Xpenology under ESXi? If not then I will keep it to a bare metal install.

I was planning to use the built in micro SD reader however posts online seem to advise against this and to just stick with a USB drive, is this still the case?

I'm planning to update the drivers etc to latest versions before the install, any known issues with doing this?

I will be using 2 x 4TB WD Reds for now, looking to grow as they fill up, I've seen lots of different configurations of the drives, some involving ESXi, some not. Is there a general consensus on which is best to use?

+any other tips or suggestions regarding the Gen 8's?

Many thanks in advance!

Just purchased a HP gen 8 for Xpenology and I'm slightly overwhelmed with the install options available to me, just wondering if anyone could give me some best practise advice so I can get it right first time! I've had a little search but most of the threads I'm finding seem to be quite old (not sure if the information is relevant anymore!).

I planning to use the machine for only Xpenology, is there any point in me running Xpenology under ESXi? If not then I will keep it to a bare metal install.

I was planning to use the built in micro SD reader however posts online seem to advise against this and to just stick with a USB drive, is this still the case?

I'm planning to update the drivers etc to latest versions before the install, any known issues with doing this?

I will be using 2 x 4TB WD Reds for now, looking to grow as they fill up, I've seen lots of different configurations of the drives, some involving ESXi, some not. Is there a general consensus on which is best to use?

+any other tips or suggestions regarding the Gen 8's?

Many thanks in advance!

You have 2 main options to plan your install

Virtulise it of baremetal install

xpenology.nl has guides on both paths to your install

Xpenology.nl is a great place for guides....

N

I recently bought a Gen8 and XPEnolog'ied it! Very simple if you don't want to virtualise anything. Here are the relevant steps:

1. Write the bootloader image to a USB drive (XPEnoboot 5.2-5565.2 from here: http://download.xpenology.fr/). Plug it into the back of the Gen8 and leave it there permanently.

2. Connect a keyboard and monitor to the Gen8. Start it up and watch the boot - select 'install/upgrade' when you get to the appropriate boot menu.

Everything after here can then be done remotely... ie from another PC. You can remove the monitor and keyboard from the Gen 8 at next reboot .

3. Open a browser and type : http://find.synology.com

4. Step through the Synology install wizard, using the manual DSM install option (providing the full DSM 5.2-5565 pat file from here: http://www.xpenology.nl/xpenology-software/ )

5. Reboot the Gen8 as required, Log in again remotely and head into the settings and turn off auto updates (I leave it at the 'notify only' setting)

6. You can either then manually provide the DSM 5.2-5565 Update 1 pat file, or let the Synology download it via the OS.

Done.

Total time to do this, 30 minutes tops.

HTH

Edited by Guest

Rusty, Nick W & Valver, thank you all for your quick replies.

I can't see me wanting to use the system for VMs although I'm just wondering if there's anything else I'll be missing out on if I don't use ESXi? For example, this thread, viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2147 suggests that I will have problems with the fan controller that could be resolved using ESXi?

Hi MonkeyMonkey,

I'm using XPenology with a native installation on a HP Gen 8.

In my opinion the fan is silent enough - if I'm a few meters away from the NAS I can't hear it.

Everything else works really nice.

The dual LAN Ports are also supported by the DSM and they are shown in the Network-Configuration.

Kind regards,

Moritz

Hi MonkeyMonkey,

I'm using XPenology with a native installation on a HP Gen 8.

In my opinion the fan is silent enough - if I'm a few meters away from the NAS I can't hear it.

Everything else works really nice.

The dual LAN Ports are also supported by the DSM and they are shown in the Network-Configuration.

Kind regards,

Moritz

Thanks Das, can you control the fan speed (for example under load) through the DSM? Or does it not communicate.

With latest fw and XPEnology fan work over 30-35%. XPE not have the right driver for hdd smtemp sensor. On ESXI with correct driver on it, fan work on 6-10%.

I choose ESXi for low noise and Raw mapping drives to XPE virtual machine. like a post on this forum

I have virtual XPE on 2.5'' hdd drive on bay 5 (odd)

With latest fw and XPEnology fan work over 30-35%. XPE not have the right driver for hdd smtemp sensor. On ESXI with correct driver on it, fan work on 6-10%.

I choose ESXi for low noise and Raw mapping drives to XPE virtual machine. like a post on this forum

I have virtual XPE on 2.5'' hdd drive on bay 5 (odd)

So as the other thread suggests the only real way to have control (by software anyway) of the fans is to use ESXi?

For CPU power management, I'm assuming I'd need to follow this tutorial if I didn't use ESXi? http://www.xpenology.nl/control-cpu-power-state/

So are there any real benefits to not running Xpenology under ESXi? It looks like if I do I will be able to manage fans and power usage along with the VM features in the future.

Hi MonkeyMonkey,

I don't think that it's necessary to control the fan.

First of all the HP Microserver Gen 8 isn't very loud (you can change the fan if it is to loud for you) and the second part is, that the G1610T is near "idle" the most time (in my case).

My Microserver Gen 8 is in a little Ikea Shelf (Besta) with one extra 92mm fan in the shelf - the temperatures are ok.

You can control the fan with the DSM but I have the impression that this feature isn't working.

The Control CPU power state (script) works very well, my G1610T is most time on 1.600 Mhz and not on 2.300 Mhz.

I have installed my Xpenology nativ on the hardware and I would not do anything else in the future.

I'm with DasMoritz on this - my Gen 8 is sitting 5 feet away from me in my office and it's quiet enough that I cant hear it during regular daily use. It's not silent - I can hear it if I concentrate on it - but it's not an issue I would even consider going through ESXI, VM's and extra RAM and so forth for!

Note - The fan *is* bloody deafening when the thing boots but it then drops back to quiet mode as DSM loads. The fan speed will vary too - I've had it at full load transcoding films via Plex for a few hours and it's definitely gotten a little nosier. No idea what % speeds the fan is running at - but I've no need to find out as it's just not an issue for me.

HTH

running ESXI means i can safeguard updated by taking snapshots

I also have loads of VMs running, windows 10/8.1 server 2012 and some linux boxes to dabble with....

You could do each one and see which you prefer.. i would go the ESXi route, it adds a bit more flexibility.

Just to add, i use TvHeadend, i stream live terrestrial through the house and this needs to go on a baremetal install. so no ESXi....

I'm with DasMoritz on this - my Gen 8 is sitting 5 feet away from me in my office and it's quiet enough that I cant hear it during regular daily use. It's not silent - I can hear it if I concentrate on it - but it's not an issue I would even consider going through ESXI, VM's and extra RAM and so forth for!

Note - The fan *is* bloody deafening when the thing boots but it then drops back to quiet mode as DSM loads. The fan speed will vary too - I've had it at full load transcoding films via Plex for a few hours and it's definitely gotten a little nosier. No idea what % speeds the fan is running at - but I've no need to find out as it's just not an issue for me.

HTH

Thanks for all the responses guys, Valver, it's interesting to hear that your changes based on load, I got the impression that it would just sit at a fixed speed if I installed it directly. Looks like I'll go with the bare metal install for now then! Thanks all.

A few other things to consider regarding virtual v. bare metal installs: AFAIK, my understanding (and experience) is that with a VM setup, disks do not spin down. Wake-on-Lan doesn't work either. All of this means power usage is likely a to be higher with a VM (a VM will also need more memory as it adds some overhead).

Finally had a chance to get going on this, although I'm having problems with XPEnoboot.

I get to the "DiskStation Login:" screen however Synology Assistant doesn't detect any systems. Looking back at the console the server has assigned itself a 169.254 address and doesn't appear to be getting an IP. There is also a message stating "eth1 not RUNNING". Any suggestions?

Photo here http://postimg.org/image/7d3f5udf5/

• 4 weeks later...

did you got it working? I just received my microserver last week and was able to go from zero to full system in 4 hours (tried to go virtual but didn't like it as I only have 2 GB Ram)

at the moment im still testing the box before going production but everything seems fine

Current setup>

boot from micro sd latest xneboot

update 2 pat

1 500GB drive

2GB RAM

G2020T

Future setup after migrating from asustor

3X 2TB HDD 7.2K Seagate nas

8GB RAM ECC

I will do some tests on working with the server

Regards!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Just got myself a Gen8 too (cheap version: G1610T) and I'm setting it up right now with a USB stick (16gb).

My question is: where is the SD-card holder? Or do I need to connect one? Seem a lot better to have SD instead of a USB sticking out?

Hints anyone?

Hi Guys,

Just got myself a Gen8 too (cheap version: G1610T) and I'm setting it up right now with a USB stick (16gb).

My question is: where is the SD-card holder? Or do I need to connect one? Seem a lot better to have SD instead of a USB sticking out?

Hints anyone?

Inside is the SD Holder, open the box

Enviado desde mi Nexus 5 mediante Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I everybody,

I have the same problem as MonkeyMonkey76, i've installed xpenology on my Proliant Gen8 G1610T in native mode and the fan work at 32%.

I use the soft raid and the server is idle...

The fan at 32% working is very noisy for my part.

If you have installed xpenology in native mode, and he's not noisy, could you indicate which image of xpenology have you used.

(Sorry for the incovenience of my english level)

Regards.