XPEnology Community

DSM 5.2 & random drive bay layout

Hello,

I've searched a lot about this "issue" of the LSI cards and can I ask if anyone found a way to get arround it? In DSM or even in LSI card?

I have a H310 flashed to 2118IT but can't get in to the advanced functions with the LSIUTILS, so I can try to reset the disk position and start over, and also to map them directly to the correct physical port!

Any clue why or anyone made it?

Any way I get the H310 pass also the SMART status to DSM with the dell firmware?

With dell original firmware the disks are ordered correctly and passthrough works but only SMART doesn't shows in DSM!

So saying that random drive bay layout is a LSI thing, it's not, since the H310 with Dell firmware doesn't do that!

PS: I'm using a DELL server C2100 F12-TY model with sas expander with 12 HDD bays.

Hi

I'm interested in the H310 firmware now, interesting that it ordered correctly. The issue relates to the LSI implementation of the broadcom SAS chip, so not necessarily the hardware itself.

with regards to SMART, this might be due to Xpenology not having the right firmware to activate that part of the card? What SAS firmware is loaded? I know that adaptec cards do the same i.e. they recognize the drive order correctly but do not do smart either.

Question, the H310 is a raid controller did you flash it with Dell Initiator Target based firmware or did you try it standard?

Another question, I've been looking at the C2100 chassis. Are they any good? How noisy are they, and how does the remote management work? Doesn't have iDRAC I know, but does it have a web based gui with remote control and iKVM?

Hello,

I've searched a lot about this "issue" of the LSI cards and can I ask if anyone found a way to get arround it? In DSM or even in LSI card?

I have a H310 flashed to 2118IT but can't get in to the advanced functions with the LSIUTILS, so I can try to reset the disk position and start over, and also to map them directly to the correct physical port!

Any clue why or anyone made it?

Any way I get the H310 pass also the SMART status to DSM with the dell firmware?

With dell original firmware the disks are ordered correctly and passthrough works but only SMART doesn't shows in DSM!

So saying that random drive bay layout is a LSI thing, it's not, since the H310 with Dell firmware doesn't do that!

PS: I'm using a DELL server C2100 F12-TY model with sas expander with 12 HDD bays.

You might want to see if you can find the right firmware for the card, perhaps boot a vanilla Linux and see what sas drivers / firmware it loads as Xpenology might not have the correct drivers to read the SMART data. You could also post in the drivers thread asking what trantor might need to get SMART working.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone, I get this :

I had just wrote this but i only say what happened,

I use a E350-M1 motherboard

I've Xpenology installed on the machine I prepared to use as NAS .

I installed 2 WD RED 4 TB connected to the SATA ports 1 and 2 of the motherboard .

They are regularly recognized by the bios of the motherboard in positions 1 and 2

Xpenology sees the disks in positions 1 and 3 .

If you exchange the SATA cables of disk 2 and 3 Xpenology correctly sees the HDDs in the 1 and 2 positions but in the bios on the motherboard of course find them on 1 and 3 .

In practice, the HDD connected on SATA1 is seen in position 1 , SATA 4 in position 4 , while 2 and 3 are only reversed on Xpenology but not on the motherboard and bios .

It ' happened to any of you ?

It ' a Xpenology firmware bug ?

I only use SATA ports on motherboard

Thanks to those who want to help me !

Zippi .

P.S.: Excuse me for my poor english!