XPEnology Community

dsm goes into recovery everytime i reboot the esxi host.

aniel

Question

edit: after doing some testing i discovered the issue was that i was using vmxnet3 under the network option i found some info as well about this and apparently with the latest dsm version vmxnet3 is not working, it was for but clearly not fully functional so i will be using E1000e for the time being. thank you for those of you who replied and gave me some ideas.

some info about this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xpenology/comments/ad7yzj/is_vmxnet3_not_supported_in_the_latest_version_of/

3 hours ago, aniel said:

apparently with the latest dsm version vmxnet3 is not working

afaik it should work and your link is for dsm 6.2.1 that as 6.2.2 is kind of special and not driver compatible to 6.2.0 and 6.2.3

the first 6.2.0 and 6.2.3 can use the same drivers and there is also my extra.lzma with 6.2.3 driver made from newer synology kernel source the the one that comes with the loader

17 hours ago, aniel said:

if yes how can i make it work since for my understanding vmxnet3 is better than E1000e.

if e1000e is already working juast add a 2nd nic as vmxnet3 to the VM and it should get visible as 2nd nic after a reboot of the vm

if that works out you could try to remove the e1000e and see if the vmxnet3 gets 1st nic as the only one

15 minutes ago, flyride said:

Do you have a 10Gb network interface?  If not, e1000e is just fine and provides the same performance.

wouldn't there be better performance between vm's with vmxnet3?

4 hours ago, aniel said:

am using 6.2.3 but it does not works for me. what am doing wrong ? 

what extra.lzma you use? there is jun's original and a newer one from my thread here in the forum, you could exchange files in you bootloader, the drivers from the loader get copied to disk if the loader finds i difference between disk and loader, so ever time you replace the extra on the loader it will copy (und use) the drivers from the store from the loader

3 minutes ago, IG-88 said:
23 minutes ago, flyride said:

Do you have a 10Gb network interface?  If not, e1000e is just fine and provides the same performance.

wouldn't there be better performance between vm's with vmxnet3?

True, but the person that is using multiple VM's with NFS mounted services from DSM already probably understands this.  The more typical connections from off-host clients will not benefit from vmxnet3 unless it is being used to enable ESXi native support of a 10Gbe interface.

3 hours ago, flyride said:

not at the moment but am planning to. 

3 hours ago, IG-88 said:

if e1000e is already working juast add a 2nd nic as vmxnet3 to the VM and it should get visible as 2nd nic after a reboot of the vm

if that works out you could try to remove the e1000e and see if the vmxnet3 gets 1st nic as the only one

i will try that, also i need to mention that 1) i said the behavior was happening when turning off the host and that is true however the same behavior was also happening when turning off the vm (reboots off vm where not affected by this) and 2) obviously i was using vmxnet3 but for some reason it stop working after doing my ts steps either way i will try your suggestions

3 hours ago, IG-88 said:

what extra.lzma you use? there is jun's original and a newer one from my thread here in the forum, you could exchange files in you bootloader, the drivers from the loader get copied to disk if the loader finds i difference between disk and loader, so ever time you replace the extra on the loader it will copy (und use) the drivers from the store from the loader

do u have a link to your post as am pretty sure am using jun default ones and some steps on how to replace them.

Edited by aniel
better use of space/ learning how to use this forum :)

1 hour ago, aniel said:

do u have a link to your post as am pretty sure am using jun default ones and some steps on how to replace them.

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28321-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm623-for-918-3615xs-3617xs/

1 hour ago, aniel said:

was using vmxnet3 but for some reason it stop working

if using jun's original driver set (or mine made for 6.2.0/6.2.3) with dsm 6.2.1/6.2.2 some drivers will not work because of kernel compile settings related to pcie power management, synology changed a setting starting with 6.2.1 and reverted it in 6.2.3 so there are incompatible driver sets and if you hat juns original loader it had drivers for 6.2.0, updating with to 6.2.1 or 6.2.2 would mean that drives don't load anymore and some devices failing, leaving some drivers that come with dsm working, so i guess the vmxnet3 driver might have been one of these, just try a driver set matching the dsm version and by adding it to the vm there should not be much risk, if things go wrong you just remove the added virtual hardware and the same goes for the extra.lzma, if replaced with the one you started off again it should work as before (or just save the whole loader image of the working vm o you can restore it)

but as flyride pointed out, you will not see any performance gain be using vmxnet3 in your current scenario, so the work you putting in is more for learning about the loader and workings

32 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

but as flyride pointed out, you will not see any performance gain be using vmxnet3 in your current scenario, so the work you putting in is more for learning about the loader and workings

ok so to be in the same page, can e1000e do 10gbe since am planning on upgrading to it? and yes i dont mind putting the work for learning purposes, i just need some guidance on how to replace the drivers inside the bootloader. 

3 hours ago, aniel said:

ok so to be in the same page, can e1000e do 10gbe since am planning on upgrading to it? and yes i dont mind putting the work for learning purposes, i just need some guidance on how to replace the drivers inside the bootloader. 

e1000e is limited to 1Gbps only.  But it can be changed at any time just by editing the VM configuration.  But if the reason for 10Gbe is expressly for DSM support, you can pass the whole card through when you get it, have DSM's driver manage it as a second NIC, keeping the e1000e driver intact as a management-style interface, if that is what works for you.

1 hour ago, flyride said:

e1000e is limited to 1Gbps only.  But it can be changed at any time just by editing the VM configuration.  But if the reason for 10Gbe is expressly for DSM support, you can pass the whole card through when you get it, have DSM's driver manage it as a second NIC, keeping the e1000e driver intact as a management-style interface, if that is what works for you.

that should do the job but i feel having esxi managing all the nick is more clean (am planning on using a 10gbe nic plus 2 1gbe onboard nics.

@IG-88 so i went ahead and replaced the extra.lzma with the one from "extra3617_v0.11.2_test.zip" but i was not able to get e1000e or vmxnet3 to show up. the strange thing is that vmxnet3 did worked at some point but now no matter what i do it does not work, so am not sure what is going on here and am really sad since i would really like to use 10gbe network when the time comes :(

3 hours ago, aniel said:

point but now no matter what i do it does not work, so am not sure what is going on here and am really sad since i would really like to use 10gbe network when the time comes

maybe change back to jun's original extra.lzma in theory that one (vmxnet3) should work with dsm 6.2.3 too

(i dont have esxi here for testing, my ryzen and win10 do not support nested vm's in oracle virtual box, that only works with intel cpu's and ms will add this with 21H1 win10)

i'm not following the esxi threads but i'm not aware that the vmxnet3 driver never worked, i'd if it was not working jun would not have used the driver in his extra.lzma

anyway, i'm not checking for this myself this year, maybe after finishing the driver packages and the other stuff i might install esxi and check whats working and whats not, as long i'm not using esxi myself that will only have low priority (as there are alternative drivers that can be used with esxi)

1 hour ago, IG-88 said:

in theory he tried it with dsm 6.2.3 and that should be working (in theory)

Not much theory here:

image.thumb.png.8040b85346dced67fe3af8a03e8b648b.png

Maybe OP can double-check this:

image.thumb.png.789b4456eec4ff287d5ab5719db7228a.png

Also, maybe check the automatically assigned VMXNET3 MAC address and edit the grub config, or change the autoassigned MAC address to the value in the loader.  Shouldn't matter, but you never know I guess.  Finally maybe build a virtual disk for testing since all the DSM installed copies are on the passthrough SATA.  Maybe it is bouncing up and down and the loader no longer can see the disks, which would result in a reinstall prompt.

Edited by flyride

2 hours ago, IG-88 said:

in theory he tried it with dsm 6.2.3 and that should be working (in theory)

yes am using 6.2.3 update 2 which was working with vmxnet3  before i discovered the issue that am referring to in this port, the thing is that i cannot get it to work again, but either way am not sure what i'm doing wrong or what i have misconfigured that it is working for others but not for me.