XPEnology Community

Web access - MyDS QuickConnect or alternative?

harpoonjoe

I've recently set up XPEnology (DSM 5.2-5565) on a HP Gen 8 Microserver and in the main I'm very impressed. Unfortunately I have been unable to successfully create a MyDS QuickConnect account. I've read the guide and forums and keep going round in circles and hoping someone can confirm whether or not this is something that I can do or has Synology now shut the door completely on outsiders?

If the MyDS route is not an option are there others? Could I install OwnCloud for instance? And if so then how?

Using QuickConnect on an Xpenolgy box isn't really a good idea, it just gives Synology reason to add extra protection to stop us using DSM at all. There are alternatives around if you look, or if you really must use QuickConnect buy one of the cheaper real Synology boxes.

• 2 weeks later...

Look in your Control Panel, just beneath QuickConnect, you'll find External Access...

go to DDNS, click Add, and other Service Provider you'll see a list of all the DDNS Service providers synology supports...

while you're here, check out the Router Configuration tab beside DDNS,... it can help configure your router for port forwarding, if you need help that is..

There's your alternativeS

Using QuickConnect on an Xpenolgy box isn't really a good idea, it just gives Synology reason to add extra protection to stop us using DSM at all. There are alternatives around if you look, or if you really must use QuickConnect buy one of the cheaper real Synology boxes.

Couldn't agree more! Old school ethics seem to be slipping among some members of the h4cking community these days. :mad:

Thank you for the suggestion, I was hoping someone can recommend a free or paid service similar to QuickConnect, where there no need to open ports on my router, some thing like Teamviewer, using packet relay, if I am not mistaken. DDNS is an alternative way, but I need to open ports, it is safe to open ports on router?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the suggestion, I was hoping someone can recommend a free or paid service similar to QuickConnect, where there no need to open ports on my router, some thing like Teamviewer, using packet relay, if I am not mistaken. DDNS is an alternative way, but I need to open ports, it is safe to open ports on router?

In the end, what is synology is doing is port-forwarding too. (but they just do it for you)

If you trust or willing to let TeamViewer client to passthrough SSL tunel, you already put your cards at the table.

Teamviewer client enforce permanent connection to TeamViewer server so you can hop in from outside using this active session. Opening additional port on your router is something you should evaluate from point of your network management skills. That include full understanding of planning and implementing custom high port setup in router coupled with DDNS (you're not limited to DDNS setup in DSM, you may have this option in router itself, for instance Asus router have it own 'low-maintenance' DDNS service called asuscomm.com), then performing some additional security hardening on the DSM (changing address of default web console port, enabling auto-blocker, disabling admin account, narrowing down source IP range which is able to log in remotely, disabling telnet, changing listener port of ssh, if used).

If that's not good enough, you can go further and proceed with 2-factor authentication and even implement LDAP/Active Directory identity access management instead of local accounts.

If you're in the market for a new router may I suggest you go with ASUS.

I have an RT-N56U and that has a built in DDNS service.

You could probably pick one of these models up super cheap from ebay or alternatively go with a new model supporting wireless AC. Either way the DDNS service has been really useful; but not nearly as useful (and secure) as the VPN it offers.

If you trust or willing to let TeamViewer client to passthrough SSL tunel, you already put your cards at the table.

Teamviewer client enforce permanent connection to TeamViewer server so you can hop in from outside using this active session. Opening additional port on your router is something you should evaluate from point of your network management skills. That include full understanding of planning and implementing custom high port setup in router coupled with DDNS (you're not limited to DDNS setup in DSM, you may have this option in router itself, for instance Asus router have it own 'low-maintenance' DDNS service called asuscomm.com), then performing some additional security hardening on the DSM (changing address of default web console port, enabling auto-blocker, disabling admin account, narrowing down source IP range which is able to log in remotely, disabling telnet, changing listener port of ssh, if used).

If that's not good enough, you can go further and proceed with 2-factor authentication and even implement LDAP/Active Directory identity access management instead of local accounts.

@ Lockon,

Thank you for your valuable advice, I have never really thought about this. [emoji3]