XPEnology Community

HBA with 16 or 24 port with 918

belrpr

Question

4 answers to this question

918+ has problems with sas controllers and thats the only one you fill find with that port count

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28321-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm623-for-918-3615xs-3617xs/

maybe describe your hardware and what you have in mind, in general i would suggest 3617 as base for (lsi) sas controllers

also the port count of xpenology is limited to 24 and you will even have to tweak things manually as the default config of loader 1.04b is 16 and for 1.03b its 12 drives

if you not aware of the problems about max. 24 disk and manually changing synoinfo.conf i'd start reading about it before wasting time and destroying you raid/data in the process

Hi,

I've currently updating my 4u 24 port (8087 sas connection) hot swap server to:

https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/X11SCZ-F

With an Intel i9-9900T (Engineering sample 1,7Ghz)

64Gb ram.

especially to run plex with intel quicksync.

Used to have a lsi 9305 24port IT mode card in my xs3617 build.

But I like to do some more video dockers and vm's.

Currently having only

RAID 1 of 2 SSD

SHR-1 of 3x8TB

RAID 1 of 2x2TB

but my previous server had 

RAID 1 of 2 SSD

RAID 5 of 10x2TB

RAID 1 of 2x2TB

Sometimes I add some extra disk for a certain vm. To upload data to the cloud or to run a lab environment.

So I got a 4x sata to sas 8087 to connect my onboard sata to the case.

Got some spare IBM M1015 in it mode lying around.

49 minutes ago, belrpr said:

With an Intel i9-9900T (Engineering sample 1,7Ghz)

especially to run plex with intel quicksync.

if you want to use baremetal then you cpu will take some performace as you will have to disable HT and thats will loose about the performace of two real cores (~25% for a HT core of a real core as calculation), the 918+ kernel only supports 8 cores as the 3617 does 16 and 3617 does not come with a i915 to use qsv

9900 cpu also does not work ootb with dsm's i915 dirver, you would need to replace that one with a patched version to support the pcie id of the gpu

might be better to run esxi, have a dsm 3617 vm and the lsi sas controller added to the dsm vm and doing the plex in a extra vm that uses the dsm's storage (nfs or cifs)

3617 as vm as 918+ has some problems with lsi sas

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28321-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm623-for-918-3615xs-3617xs/

if you already have a SAS 9305-24i why asking for a 16/24 controller? but you will end with a lsi sas if you want that kind of high port count

more compatible/universal controller with a decent performance are jmb585 bases 5 port ahci sata controllers (pcie 3.0 4x cards with 2 lanes used)

alternative could be a asm1166 based card (6 ports) but the card i bought for tests did not turn out to work well, odd behavior with the port counts in dsm)

all the 8 port ahci cards i've seen so far where pcie 2.0 and only used two lanes, terrible performace, maybe 2021 might be see cars with a pcie 3.0 bridge chip and two jmb585

your board could have three 5port cars to reach 20 ports but then you would have no free slot for a 10G nic (might be possible to use a m.2 nvme to pcie adapter to get the 4 lanes of the m.2 slot usable for a pcie card)

The performance hit I know.

I've got the extra files for the i915 for the hd630

I have the LSI 9305 card but I've ran 3617 with it and had my raid 1 SSD fail 2 times in 1 week.

First a read error on the first ssd. And within the hour a read error on the second.

Will my SHR-1 had no problem (Spinning disks)

Also a problem that I faced with the lsi is that the numbering of disk depends on how fast which disk started.

So my first disk could be the second disk after reboot. And this could be a problem when I have more than 12 disks.