XPEnology Community

HP Gen7 n54L - Anyone successful in updating to 5.2?

nick w

I caught an interesting post in another thread:

People, there isn't a problem with your mtu is there? I had an issue where many services wouldn't start including IPV4 and it was mtu based: had to manually change the two synoinfo.conf files to negotiate back to 1500 mtu.

See earlier post: http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5026&start=1120#p39666

dead

The details in the linked post seem to match what we have been discussing here,

and editing /etc/synouser.conf appears to be the fix.

Edit:

Tested it with success.

Login at console
vi /etc/synoinfo.conf

Find the line:

eth0_mtu="2000"

replace with:

eth0_mtu="1500"

save file  (:wq!)

Reboot

Shows up in Synology Assistant again, and all services look to start correctly.

The services are also available much quicker after a reboot.

Now - I noticed that ONLY eth0 was set to 2000:

eth3_mtu="1500"

eth2_mtu="1500"

eth1_mtu="1500"

eth0_mtu="2000"

That makes me wonder:

Might an alternative solution for some to simply use a different port?

At the very least - it appears that knowing that MTU is at the core of the issue should help all of us.

Hi,

Sorry for the long quote.

There is a typo in one of my earlier posts, which has wormed its way into yours: (my bad) the file to edit is /etc/synoinfo.conf (not /etc/synouser.conf - the user account list)

Also, a comment on your "Might an alternative solution for some simply to use a different port"

It is a yes and no answer: Adding another ethernet port to the system will function correctly, and if that ethernet hardware port supports large frames, such as the intel server device I installed does, it will indeed support and work with large frame sizes. The problem is if you want the main services of filestation, GUI, SAMBA etc to use it, you need to convince the hardware that the new ethernet port is now eth0, as it typically will be assigned eth1, even if the onboard hardware is disabled in the BIOS (my experience anyway) - it is difficult to convince the xpenology system to use eth1 for core services. There are ways to change the port binding order so the additional card is assigned eth0, and that is the easier overall solution. However, after much work and effort on my part to get this to happen on my HP N54L, the end result was that throughput and performance were not sufficiently enhanced by achieving a 100% gigabit ethernet network 9000 mtu - it was only in the order of 5-10% at best, so ultimately the effort was not worth the time it took to do and the cost of the additional interface.

Cheers, and I'm glad my original solution has been helpful to you.

• 1 year later...