XPEnology Community

HP Gen7 n54L - Anyone successful in updating to 5.2?

nick w

fyi, I managed to make it work by restarting the network interface, and various tries:

- ifconfig eth0 IPofNAS netmask 255.255.255.0 down, then:

- ifconfig eth0 IPofNAS netmask 255.255.255.0 up

- pinged a machine of the network to check if networking is working

- Logged into DSM, set a static IP corresponding to the permanent DHCP lease for the nas

- disabled IPV6

I am now able to access the nas after reboots.

So I updated my n54L from 5.1 to 5.2 and here is what I've observed:

1) DSM takes longer than normal to start... If you let it sit there it'll eventually come online via the web gui.

NOTE: my DSM is using static IP, not DHCP.

2) some apps would not start (uninstall and trying to redownload would result in a database upgrading error)... I had to backup the configuration and restore the same configuration via the control panel. After the configuration restore, the apps can be started.

3) SSH service would not start... had to uncheck ssh and reenable via the control panel everytime after a reboot to get it to start.

4) Diskstation is not discoverable by Synology Assistant after the upgrade (even though it's accessible via the web gui).

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

The same problems were on mine HP N40L, so I did a clean install with keep my files, and now everything works. :smile:

DSM starts as fast as before update form 5.1 to 5.2.

So in my opinion if you don't wont to have any problems after update - do clean install. :wink:

I figured it out on the clean install and keeping files. For those that want to try, here are the steps:

1) Change the version back to 5.1 so that your diskstation can be found by the synology assistant. No need to complete the downgrade, just modify the version file. Follow the instuctions/link previously posted: http://xpenology.me/how-to-downgrade-from-dsm-5-2/

2) boot XPEnoboot 5.2-5565.2 and select install/upgrade

3) select connect (instead of install) when synology assistant finds the diskstation.

4) Web page will open that allows you to do a fresh install and keep files... follow instructions in the web page.

As I wrote above,yesterday I did clean install, but no luck in restoring settings from 5.1 or 5.2.

UPDATE:

I can now see first problem. Resource Monitor doesn't work again, as it was before clean install. :sad:

Problem number two, there is no DiskStation in Synology Assistant.

So my upgrade path to 5.2

I was on DSM 5.0 Update 7

I upgraded to 5.1 5522

Then upgraded to 5.1 5055 (had application issues after upgrade, apps wouldnt run or install.)

Upgraded to 5.2 - 1

Upgraded to 5.2 - 2

I havent found any issues yet

My DSM boots quickly. I havent had any hangs or had to perform a forced shutdown

fyi, I managed to make it work by restarting the network interface, and various tries:

- Logged into DSM, set a static IP corresponding to the permanent DHCP lease for the nas

- disabled IPV6

hey, hey, you made my day!

Did the update to 5.2.5565 and everything seems to be fine, so I did the update to 5.2.5565u2 immediately.

After that I was NOT able to connect nor did the assistant find my n54 baremetal xpenology.

Also some hard reboots didn't change anything.

But this two lines of code did the trick.

Thank you soo much.

- disabled IPV6

Thank you for this post.

It saved me a bunch of troubleshooting.

Only a couple of differences in my case:

1.) I had a static IP address on 5.0 prior to upgrading to 5.2 (and then Update 2)

2.) I just brought the entire eth0 interface down, (this also removed the IPv6 portions that had been brought up during the upgrade)

- ifconfig eth0 down

- disabled IPV6

Only other thing that caught me "off guard" is that the box boots much quicker than the web interface comes online.

I needed to wait 5 minutes from reboot to have the web interface live.

I imagine that is typical - but when running quick diagnostics, thought it might save someone else a headache to have it noted.

HP Gen7 N54L: baremetal installation

Hi, something is still wrong with the network.

Everytime my n54l baremetal xpenology starts there is a message saying that the "web station service could not be started" and I may please contact the customer support to solve this.

In my local area network everything works(as far as I know by now!), but from outside I'm not able to get into my nas.

Any suggestions would be fine.

Thank you.

Same problem here with a N40L.

I'm on 5.2-6555 update 2 and:

-My NAS is invisible for synology assistant

-my windows share wasn't working, had to power off/on SMB service

-ressource monitor isn't working

Don't know what to do. :sad: