XPEnology Community

Moving to new hardware : DSM 6.2-23739

headrat

Hi,

I'm moving from a Gen8 Microserver to a Supermicro X10SDV-12C-TLN4f, I have 5 x 6TB WD Reds with all of my data on, no easy way to add another disc to Gen8 hence I decided to upgrade. 

I'd actually like to do a fresh install of DSM but obviously want to keep my data, I've also purchased an additional 1 x TB WD RED as I want to up the storage as well.

I'm not quite sure what the best process to follow is, any knowledgeable person want to help me out with the best approach?

Thanks

HEADRAT

Edited by headrat

There isn't one right way to do things.  But it might help to have a little bit more information.... please answer:

1. What DSM hardware platform?

2. What array type are your 5 x 6TB drives? (SHR, SH2, RAID5, RAID6)?

3. What size is your new drive?

4. Are you planning on just adding the new drive to the existing array to increase the space?

5. Got a backup of all your data somewhere else?

So since you want to re-install DSM, I would consider doing this:

1. Install new USB loader and install new clean DSM to your new 6TB drive.  Don't create a Storage Pool or a Volume.

2. When you are happy with the new install, power down your old system normally

3. Physically install your array disks over to the new platform.  Hotplugging is okay if your system can do it.

4. Follow the process here to import the array into the new system:

• The procedure will have you start all the arrays (including the superfluous ones for your old DSM boot and swap).
  • Mount the data array to /volume1, not volume2 (since you have no other volumes online) and verify your data is present.
  • Stop the superfluous boot and swap arrays
  • Complete the procedure to create the Storage Pool and Volume in DSM.
  • After everything is done, ONLY THEN fix the System Partition in Storage Manager.  If you try to fix it before this step and you need to go back for some reason, you will have to reinstall DSM on your old system.
  • Reboot and verify that the array got assigned to a normal device (should be /dev/md3)

After you are fully satisfied that the system and its data are complete and stable, you can add the new 6TB into the array normally.

You said you have a backup.  That's a really good idea with this procedure, but it's mostly harmless.  Good luck!

Edited by flyride

Something to be aware of:

The new 6TB RED is likely to be SMR, not CMR/PMR. (Shingled Magnetic Recording), and one of the major concerns with these new WD SMR drives, is this use-case (what you're about to attempt) rebuilding arrays/adding an extra disk to a RAID 5 array, because an SMR drive has no downtime during this very extensive task, to do the required slower SMR background tasks.

If I was you I'd contact WD, explain the situation and ask for a replacement to a 6TB RED Pro or buy a Seagate Ironwolf NAS, both of which are CMR.

I wouldn't risk it with the 6TB RED, if it is one of the new SMR drives.

It won't be the same type of drive as the existing REDs you have.

Edited by typhoontiger

So if I just forgot the whole re-install DSM thing, could I just pull the USB bootloader out of the Gen8 Microserver and just put it and the 5 x drives  onto the Supermicro X10SDV-12C-TLN4f, would DSM cope with the hardware change?

Edited by headrat

I would upgrade the HP to the latest 6.2.3 before I attempted this.  Once you are on 6.2.3, it will probably work.

But I wouldn't do it with my production data until tested (install new USB and DSM to another drive on HP, then move the test install to SuperMicro as planned).

2 hours ago, flyride said:

I would upgrade the HP to the latest 6.2.3 before I attempted this.  Once you are on 6.2.3, it will probably work.

But I wouldn't do it with my production data until tested (install new USB and DSM to another drive on HP, then move the test install to SuperMicro as planned).

if the newly created usb is tested with the new 6TB disk it would also be possible to use that new usb with the old 5 disk and then "migrate" (aka update)  the installation through the synology assistant, the 6th disk can be added after this

but tbh i would not fuss that much as the old usb is already 1.03b dsm 6.2.(0), a 6.2.3 update on the microserver is no problem, many people have done this on gn8 microservers and after updating i would suggest to use the new extra.lzma for 6.2.3 as it will have newer drivers (i'm not so sure if jun's 2 default driver will support the 10G nic)

edit: only thing after having it running on the new hardware with the "old" usb is to change mac addresses in the grub.cfg (thats needed for WOL to work, otherwise its more cosmetic)

Edited by IG-88

Thanks for all the help guys but I've chickened out, 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-Elements-Desktop-External-Drive/dp/B07VXKF1L4/ref=sr_1_3?crid=9GY1DXLA74XR&dchild=1&keywords=12tb+external+hard+drive&qid=1606369561&sprefix=12tb+%2Caps%2C154&sr=8-3

and pulled the trigger on 3 x 12TB drives (linked above as on a good deal ATM), I will just setup Supermicro X10SDV-12C-TLN4f "as new" and copy the files that I need across. 

Yeah I was planning to tape them over 

https://www.instructables.com/How-to-Fix-the-33V-Pin-Issue-in-White-Label-Disks-/

using Kapton tape.

I'm now keeping an eye on these to see if they drop on Black Friday

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Expansion-Desktop-External-Drive/dp/B08899GVT6/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1I5BNLFATYHLF&dchild=1&keywords=16tb+external+hard+drive&qid=1606378192&sprefix=16tb+ex%2Caps%2C150&sr=8-3

they are 7200rpm EXOS Enterprise drives (no mods required), a bit more pricey but I think in the long wrong these might work out better. 

Edited by headrat