XPEnology Community

Testing a new version of Xpenology

rickym

I have had a server running for almost a year perfectly and it still is. I want to be sure I do this correctly so I don't destroy my server. would this be the correct procedure if I want to try the latest version of Xpenology on my server. Pull all the drives out of my server and put in just one extra drive that I haven't used on the server to test  receive the upgrade . If all seems ok do I just put the original drives back in  and boot up and then do the update with those drives installed. I have been putting off updating for a long time and in reality I really don't need to do this. More of a want to. Any advice appreciated. Hope that all made sense.

Edited by rickym

That is typically recommended way of doing it if really unsure if newer version will support your hardware. I think there were times i'd take a spare hdd, install the version i was then currently on and tried the upgrade process, if it worked then i tried it on my live system.