XPEnology Community

Migration XPE DS918+ > Synology DS920+

morchipon

Hello

I want to migrate my XPEnology DS918 + server to an official Synology DS920 + NAS.
During my installation, I installed volume 1 on an SSD and my RAID on the other 4 disks.

image.thumb.png.3703994209ca765a5e201a73b59723bf.png

My question is simple, can I just switch my old drives, with the same location, to my new NAS without losing my data, knowing that my BOOT is on the SSD ?

thks

1 hour ago, morchipon said:

to my new NAS without losing my data, knowing that my BOOT is on the SSD

the dsm system partition is on every disk (raid1 over all disks), volumes 1 and 2 are data partitions on the disk behind the first two partitions (2.4GB system, 2GB swap)

you can check that with

cat /proc/mdstat

/dev/md0 and /dev/md1 should be system (dsm) and swap and it should be raid1 and on all disks (except cache drives)

you should be able to just plug the drives into your 920+, it should be found in network as migrateable and after installing 920+ *.pat file it should boot normal (might be two boots as it will also update to 6.2.3 u2)

il y a une heure, IG-88 a dit :

the dsm system partition is on every disk (raid1 over all disks), volumes 1 and 2 are data partitions on the disk behind the first two partitions (2.4GB system, 2GB swap)

you can check that with

cat /proc/mdstat

/dev/md0 and /dev/md1 should be system (dsm) and swap and it should be raid1 and on all disks (except cache drives)

OK thanks for your answer
Here is the return to the command line

image.png.c70589832619df49ad8ce1356d56bd5f.png

Do you think this is correct?

as expected, you have 5 disks and your md0/md1 raid1 has 5 memebers

volume1 is md2 from the ssd and volume2 is md3 (4 disks, raid5)

the boot process will automatically find the next disk working disk of the 5 in the /dev/md0 raid1 set so it will work, if its the ssd that is used is another thing

it usually uses the 1st disk so it might be best to put the ssd into the 1st slot of the 920+

2 minutes ago, morchipon said:

Except that I don't want to resume my SSD, I just want to put my 4 disks back in RAID5 in my new DS920 +

should work too, only "problem" might be that it will stay "volume2" and some unclean packages or scripts will address volume1 hard coded (but i guess thats not the normal case)

beside this 920's gemini lake is pretty outdated hardware and the system has no way to be extended (beside the overpriced external units) and it has no pcie

even simple/cheap qnap units do have that option now days, the new 1621+ is more in that direction (but as synology only rely's on intel qsv it lacks transcoding)

and i guess the 2021 model's will also try to be on par with the competition - so it might be worth to wait 3-6 month?

that might depend on the market, there will be new hardware development with the new intel base but i'm not sure when synology will have new system with that

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/34665-new-elkhart-lake-hardware-for-better-lowcost-nas-in-q12021/

its unclear how far synology will go with the amd hardware base used in 1621+, maybe there is already more waiting to be released