XPEnology Community

[FIXED] XPEnoboot 5.1-5055.1 - Error: No valid Patch found

SpikedJuice

Hi,

I've messed up my Xpenology setup on my HP N54L Microserver and looking for some advice on the best way to fix it.

This is what has happened so far:

- I was running DSM 5.1-5022 Update 5 on XPEnoboot 5.1-5022.3 on ESXi

- I then updated to DSM 5.1-5055 (a bad mistake, I know). I couldn't browse the NAS but could still ping it.

- I updated the boot image to XPEnoboot 5.1-5055.1 and did a migrate/upgrade

Now I can't connect to the web interface. When I reboot, I receive a load of "Error: No valid Patch found for file..." messages.

Is there any way I can get the system back online or recover the data?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Edited by Guest

Hi

I unmounted the boot img vmdk from the vm (it was probably on 5.2 - because it auto updated?, forgot to change settings in Synology!) - so downloaded a fresh copy of 5.1-5055.1 boot (removed existing vmdk and added new vmdk to vm), start vm, logged in through vm console with root and password and made the changes highlighted in the link. Rebooted and the Synology "updated" all the files - then simply apply the .pat file.

VM is running on VSphere 6 on a Lenovo TS440

Fatgrass - Did you choose a migration or fresh installation in the Synology web gui? I just tried to apply a DSM 5.1-5022 Update 5 pat file manually but got the error "You have to use an installation file of 5055 or later. (10)"

Nick W - no, unfortunately I didn't take a snapshot :sad:

Thanks. Yes - definitely made those changes. I rebooted and checked that the settings had saved: minorversion="1" and buildunumber="5021".

I'll revert back to XPEnoboot 5.1-5022.3 and use a DSM 5.1-5022 Update 5 pat file and see how I get on...

UPDATE: It's back up and running! Thank the heavens! Thank you so much, Fatgrass!

Glad you were able to recover (at least) an older version of XPEnoboot.

In regards to the process you went through for upgrading. As part of my testing for our 5.2 release I have been experimenting with upgrading from the WebUI Control Panel instead of using the Install/Upgrade feature on the boot image. I have had success with upgrading to 5.2-5565 from 5.1-5055 via 5.1's Control Panel by simply triggering the update via the Control Panel and switching the boot image to our 5.2 while the system is automatically rebooting then just let the system boot normally. Also, sometimes my system will hang on the first reboot and requires a hard-reboot, she usually boots smoothly on the second attempt.

I think you may have corrupted your DSM installation by re-installing the same version on top of one another (but that's a totally unscientific and unproven theory).

Jman420, when I updated the DSM from DSM 5.1-5022 Update 5 to DSM 5.1-5055, the Synology tool showed the IP address had changed from static to dynamic. It could have been a compatibility issue between XPEnoboot 5.1-5022.3 and DSM 5.1-5055 that caused this. I then changed to XPEnoboot 5.1-5055.1 and selected the update boot option, but then the web GUI wouldn't load. I left it running as is for a few days and then came back to it and for some reason the web GUI was available again. So I tried the migrate option, auto DSM install but then on reboot I got the no valid patch errors.

Hope that makes a bit of sense!

Didn't you take a snapshot???

FYI, snapshot will do nothing for you. It will only be a snapshot of your VM config, bootloader image... which doesn't even get written to. The actual DSM install, and DSM config files is on the 1st partition of each storage disk... so unless you're backing up your storage disks, snapshot is usesless for XPEnology.