XPEnology Community

Help figuring out chip manufacuter on IOCREST card

swoy

Hello,

I found this cheap 16 Sata port card with 4 SAS ports on DX.com which is named IOCREST IO-PCE9215-16I

http://www.iocrest.com/en/product_details440_a.html

I suspect it implements some sort of marvell chip, but I'm not certain. Have a look here for the chip:

http://www.marvell.com/storage/system-s ... -brief.pdf

I wondered if this chip is supported already, because I will then try it once I get the card from the manufacturer. And hopefully it works. If not, could someone point me in the direction where I can find the .ko and I will try to inject it myself into the kernel?

Thanks in advance :smile:

-- Swoy --

Are you sure you want that card?

It might be offering 1 real sata port with a few port multipliers.

This will be a nice bottleneck for your NAS.

The speed you will get when all ports are used will be the same as 2 sata ports (Max 12GB).

As you can see on the picture, it has one big chip (sata controllers), and a few smaller ones, that are the multipliers.

Thanks,

I cancelled the order after your recommendation.

Maybe I'll order a better card at some other time. I'm brand new in this game, so I don't know what to look for really.

Anyway, thanks for the help :smile:

Are you sure you want that card?

It might be offering 1 real sata port with a few port multipliers.

This will be a nice bottleneck for your NAS.

The speed you will get when all ports are used will be the same as 2 sata ports (Max 12GB).

As you can see on the picture, it has one big chip (sata controllers), and a few smaller ones, that are the multipliers.

I think you are wrong.

The big chip is probably PLX pci express switch (or some other brand) and the smaller ones are actual 88SE9215 sata controlers. So in theory this controler can provide about 2GB/s.

If the price is good, i would definitely buy it.

Well, I'm happy that someone actually cares and want to help at all. If I could ask, which controller would you recommend for a decent price, and where I can at least put 8 disks on it (and later maybe use expanders) that I can use with Xpenology?