XPEnology Community

New to XPEnology and New Install

omar

Hi there, finally decided to set up a media server and read that people were installing xpenology instead of freenas now.

I've bought a HP microserver GT610T.

I had trouble downloading the files from this site, there isnt a link or prompt when I click for the current boot; so I downloaded from http://xpenology.me/

So I have XPEnoboot DSM 5.1 as the boot file

and DSM 5.1-5055 (Only vs XPEnoboot) DSM file.

I have it all installed though the tutorial was horrendous, couldnt follow a thing, think because 5.1 is new and noone has made a tutorial for it, cos it's a little different.

So I have my raid set up, but I used my 16GB micro SD instead of my 8GB one; so first I want to change the micro usb.

Do I just use diskimager to create a new bootable usb, and just plug that in? Or are there other settings or files to consider?

Second, on http://xpenology.me/ I've just read something about synology MAC and serial valid pairs.

Now I am confused. Do I need to do this pairing thing first before setting up my NAS?

And if I really need to do this, can I still do it or will I have to restart the entire install?

And do you need MyDS to connect to the server from an offsite source?

And for WOL?

No you don't, see the tutorial section for WOL. For remote access you will need to register with a DNS service to obtain a static IP.

• 2 weeks later...

K mostly up and running now.

Changed my serial, and enabled wake up on lan.

However does any one know how to change the mac?

I assumed the text you add to syslinux file would emulate a mac address for the xpenology os to use, but it's still showing as the main mac.

So I have to flash the HP's network card with a new mac?

If so any ideas how seeing as there isnt another OS on the system I can log into?

K mostly up and running now.

Changed my serial, and enabled wake up on lan.

However does any one know how to change the mac?

I assumed the text you add to syslinux file would emulate a mac address for the xpenology os to use, but it's still showing as the main mac.

So I have to flash the HP's network card with a new mac?

If so any ideas how seeing as there isnt another OS on the system I can log into?

Don't bother with MAC address change. Just use any third party DYNAMIC DNS service instead of official synology myds service.

K thanks I'll look into that.

But right now another problem.

I've enabled WOL and now my System Health widget is saying "DSM cannot start up normally because it ran into a problem"

Is this normal or can I undo the WOL?

--edit

Reversing the WOL procedure and replacing the changed files with the original ones (glad I saved those), the system is showing it is good again.

So does anyone else get this error when enabling WOL?