XPEnology Community

Newest DSM 6.2.3 says that file may be corrupted when trying to install in an Unraid VM

risino15

Question

14 answers to this question

5 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

i did read that but when using usb as boot media then you need to match that

I added this to the USB img file (the PID and VID are not the ones I used btw, I copied those from the grub file)

<source >
	<vendor id='0x08bb'/>
	<product id='0x2704'/>
</source>

Edited by risino15

Two threads on each side of the same problem.  To summarize, when you are running a VM:

1. If you use a .img boot loader mounted to a virtual disk, you need to select the ESXi option on grub boot
  2. If you use a USB boot loader (either physical stick passed through to the VM, or emulated USB image), you need to adjust VID/PID in the loader, and select baremetal on grub boot
Edited by flyride

2 minutes ago, flyride said:

Two threads on each side of the same problem.  To summarize, when you are running a VM:

1. If you use a .img boot loader mounted to a virtual disk, you need to select the ESXi option on grub boot
  2. If you use a USB boot loader (either physical stick passed through to the VM, or emulated USB image), you need to adjust VID/PID in the loader, and select baremetal on grub boot

Ooh, I see where I made the problem, thank you! I will try these methods tomorrow.

29 minutes ago, risino15 said:

I added this to the USB img file (the PID and VID are not the ones I used btw, I copied those from the grub file)

i'm not sure i understand it correctly but your vid/pid in VM config (usb boot image device) and in grub.cfg in the loader image you use, need to be the same

Just now, IG-88 said:

i'm not sure i understand it correctly but your vid/pid in VM config (usb boot image device) and in grub.cfg in the loader image you use, need to be the same

I used the same PID and VID, but I just copied that part of the config from a forum post for this example

12 hours ago, IG-88 said:

there might be more than one thread

this look like its done the other way as disk (esxi style), maybe try this

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/19925-9th-gen-intel-cpu/?do=findComment&comment=119001

I have tried booting baremetal (USB) and ESXi (SATA) but none of them worked. I don't know how to set the VID and PID in Unraid for the USB device though.. I cannot find any way anywhere

1 hour ago, risino15 said:

I have tried booting baremetal (USB) and ESXi (SATA) but none of them worked. I don't know how to set the VID and PID in Unraid for the USB device though.. I cannot find any way anywhere

i thought the link i gave above was not using usb as boot media

and i also had the impression you had found a unraid thread here using usb and followed it because of

19 hours ago, risino15 said:

I used this tutorial for the VM settings: 

15 hours ago, risino15 said:

but I just copied that part of the config from a forum post for this example

if you implement the boot process as usb device either bei a virtual usb device or e real usb device handed down to the VM  (as its used in a baremetal scenario) then you need to care for the usb vid/pid and match the one in grub.cfg to the one that the "device" is using (virtual or physical)

if you use a sata device as boot media in the VM then you dont have to care for the vid/pid but you will need to be using the 3. option in the grub selection like its done when using xpenology on esxi (afair on esxi its suggested to use a extra virtual controller for boot media and give the the other disks a other sata controller in the VM)

so it depends on how you implement your boot device in the VM