XPEnology Community

Can we change the forum rules?

elmuziko

Yep, definitely..

Also, the forum is badly in need of moderation.

It's frankly a bit of a mess.. Lots of off topic responses (that should be new topics) etc etc..

All of this is being addressed at the moment. SPAM, moderation enforcement and whatnots. Hopefully with the new engine it will all get better SPAM wise and we moderators can focus more into actually moderating the discussions instead of deleting spam day and night. Hang in there.

Hello guys!

Now i try to change old engine phpbb 3.0.xx to 3.2.xx

It's need some time. Forum have really big messages and information.

Also i try to add spamblock service.

Best of luck, there was a moment last week with two pages of SPAM. It was awful.

It might be worth it to go over to a different forum engine, and of course bringing all the data too, keeping the current one as a read-only archive.

NodeBB for example provides great user experience OOTB, tons of easy-to-use plugins, and the whole thing is just better in terms of security, usage, and overall, than phpBB. I understand that it requires a dedicated host, and a simple web hosting won't work, which in turn increases costs, but it is always an option to add ads (and I could also provide hosting through Azure, as long as monthly expenses do not go over 130€ - this would increase access speed and decrease forum outages).

I was very pleased to see that Andy was back and doing an update. I had a bet with myself about how long it would be until someone asked when is it ready.

I lost.

It looks like a big change so I'm sure that migrating the existing content, users etc will not be a trivial task - especially as most existing installations have probably taken each upgrade step along the way.

But I'm looking forward to it.

Content won't be a problem either, migrating posts from PHPbb to something else is very easy.

A good majority of the content is not even active any more, so archiving it in a fixed format, and starting anew might help the server loads and also give us some flexibility for future threads.

This week I plan to change the forum engine to IPBoard (https://invisionpower.com/)

What do you think about this idea?

It has a good bunch of issues with every version, and the support is not the best (at least that was, with older versions back in 2010-2014, don't know if it changed). Plus, it's paid. Also, PHP...

I still think that an open-source solution that is NOT PHP-based (say, any node.JS based ones) would be better for us. Maybe even with built-in chat?