XPEnology Community

I want to change my USB KEY

rafoloru

Question

Hello,

I want to change my USB key that is booting the DSM 6.2.3-25426. I was looking on the forum and I found this thread (

It say that I only need to put the same image on another USB key and it will boot like a charm. This is what I do, but when I boot up and connect to my IP adresse it tells me that I migrate my data to another NAS and I need to recover it to continue. 

I tried to recover it but it failed in the process.

I put back my old USB key and everything's booting up as normal.

I want to specify that I didn't modify anything on the original image either on the old and new USB key

Thanks a lot for your help

Edited by rafoloru

7 answers to this question

The date from the thread you cite is from 2016, before the release of the current loaders.

2 hours ago, rafoloru said:

I want to specify that I didn't modify anything on the original image either on the old and new USB key

The accuracy of that statement may be in question.  You had to originally at least modify the VID/PID and save the image or it won't work at all.  If the USB key is not the same brand and model, the VID/PID will have to be updated from that VID/PID to the one for the new key.

If the serial number changes from the first key to the second key, or you pick a loader that requires DSM newer than is installed in your disks, it will prompt to either Recover or Upgrade, respectively.

On 11/2/2020 at 9:43 PM, rafoloru said:

I want to change my USB key that is booting the DSM 6.2.3-25426

beside all what flyride wrote i might add that if you just take the original image 1.03b or 1.04b as i comes from jun and then boot from it it not going to work either by just booting

the original loader comes with kernel from dsm 6.2.0 and when the loader checks its own version and whats on disk it will see the difference and not load, then you might see something like recoverable

On 11/2/2020 at 9:43 PM, rafoloru said:

in theory you might have been lucky with your 1st and had the same vid/pid as jun's usb so it worked and your 2nd does have a different vid/pid and will not work with the same grub.cfg settings

these are the defaults in the loader 1.03b/1.04B

918+

set vid=0x1908
set pid=0x0226

https://usbspeed.nirsoft.net/?pdesc=QUMOX&vid=6408&pid=550

there are a lot of brands under that id

3615/3617

set vid=0x058f
set pid=0x6387

http://usbspeed.nirsoft.net/?vid=1423&pid=25479

and same for this

maybe just check the vid/pid of you old an new usb

beside just the windows device manager you also use other tools like USBDeview or UsbTreeView for windows or simply lsusb on linux

Edited by IG-88

On 11/2/2020 at 5:43 PM, rafoloru said:

Hello,I want to change my USB key that is booting the DSM 6.2.3-25426. I was looking on the forum and I found this thread

I've made a Clone USB, without change VID=PID and nothing, and it works. Post its originally in Spanish, but its easy to understand. 

>> 

I've did a lot of test trying clone an boot-loader USB Stick (baremetal DSM 6.2.x/Jun bootloader) working ok. News USBs boot works without change PID/VID and nothing, with different usb brands (SD, USB, Flash)

Under Windows  / add software ; Mini-Tool >> 

exactly tools are a bit hidden inside Mini-Tool, because there are three ways to copy/clone a disk, but only one works.

Have to open SHADOW MAKER (tool inside Mini-Tool) >> go to "TOOLS" button, and only this button open CLONE DISK utility.(Works similiar CC Cloner from Mac, on left you have "original pendrive DSM bootloader" and right other "new pendrive" . Made clone and try. 

Edited by Mary Andrea