XPEnology Community

Re-organize Raid with 6 HDD

Goby

Hi all

Before any questions, my config :

- DSM version : DSM 6.2.3-25423
- Loader version and model: JUN'S LOADER v1.04b - DS918+
- Using custom extra.lzma: No
- Installation type: BAREMETAL - Gigabyte B365M HD3 | i3 9100 | Realtek® GbE LAN | 16 Go Ram | HDD 2x4Go + 2x3Go +2x1Go

Since I just started with my first XPE, I was not so sure to manage to get it done. I installed DSM on 2 brand new HDD 4 Go each without any problems. After several days without trouble it seems a good idea to add the two HDD of 3 Go each I had in my old 218j and the two HDD of 1 go each of my older 216j.

Now I have 3 independent volumes in SHR or Raid 1 which means a lot of Go wasted.

My goal is to make a single raid (preferably SHR) with all the 6 HDD to save space. I already managed to save on other HDD all my data. I guess the best way is to make a fresh install with all the 6 HDD. My questions are :

- is there a better way than a fresh install

- if not, how to make a fresh install on a system which work already (the syno assistant will always find a functional system)

Thanks for your help.

52 minutes ago, Goby said:

- DSM version : DSM 6.2.3-25423

25426u2 is the recent version, 25423 was revoked because of problems with the universal search

52 minutes ago, Goby said:

- Loader version and model: JUN'S LOADER v1.04b - DS918+
- Using custom extra.lzma: No

@6.2. version level that will result in a not working hardware transcoding

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28321-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm623-for-918-3615xs-3617xs/

56 minutes ago, Goby said:

Since I just started with my first XPE, I was not so sure to manage to get it done. I installed DSM on 2 brand new HDD 4 Go each without any problems. After several days without trouble it seems a good idea to add the two HDD of 3 Go each I had in my old 218j and the two HDD of 1 go each of my older 216j.

Now I have 3 independent volumes in SHR or Raid 1 which means a lot of Go wasted.

extending shr is only working when adding bigger disks, it extends the raid of the smallest disk to extend on the new ones (bigger) and whats left is arranged into a new raid and added by lvm to the volume

as you created it with the biggest disks (2x4TB) and try to add 2x3Tb and 2x1TB - its not going to work, also extending that way takes huge amounts of time

1st check - are there an SMR disks?

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28187-wd-red-nas-smr-drives/

2nd backup all your data

3rd delete all volumes and storage pools and create a new one containing all disks

if your data are only 4TB you might hold back one 4TB disk as backup media (can be usb as external connected, but also a basic volume with one disk is possible, 2nd option is faster) - as you 4TB disks are in a raid1 now (shr1 with 2 disks) it might be needed to shut down, remove the disk and restart the system - resulting in a "reduced" raid set (no redundancy), after that   you remove all partitions on the extracted drive and reintroduce it to the system as new drive for backup

(it would be preferable to have a independent backup without braking a raid set, so buy a external usb if possible, the way above is more about not spending money and taking bigger risks)

the 4TB disk hold back can be introduced later by adding it to the volume/pool

when creating the shr(1) with the small disks present it will create a raid 5 set over all 5 disks (2x1TB, 2x3TB, 1x4TB) with 4TB usable space (5x1TB minus 1TB redundancy)  and it will create a raid5 set over 3 disks with 2TB each (nothing in the 1TB disks they are fully used, 2 x 2TB on the 3TB disks, now fully used and 2TB in the 4TB disks, then still 1TB unused) - resulting is a volume with 8TB usable capacity and still one 1TB area on the 4TB disk unused

after restoring the backup from the 4TB disk the 4TB disk then is removed and again cleaned (al partitions removed) and the used to extend the existing SHR1

in this step the 1st and 2nd rais set is extended by one each (1TB and 2TB) and as now are two 1TB areas oth the 4TB disks are free it will create a 1TB raid1 and it will be added to the volume resulting in a 4 TB extension in usable space

the dumped down rule for this shr1 is to summ the space of all disks involved minus the biggest disk

if you do a proper backup of the data with a extra disk you can have the steps above in one by creating the shr1 with all 6 disks

imho you should ask yourself about data backup for the time after the SHR1 creation and you will need a backup disk anyway(?), so you might consider the ~200 bugs for a external usb 12TB disk and if you buy it now you can do the whole process in one step with all 6 disks

Thanks IG-88 for such fadt & complete answer.

il y a une heure, IG-88 a dit :

25426u2 is the recent version, 25423 was revoked because of problems with the universal search

I have actually the DSM version DSM 6.2.3-25423u2

1st check - are there an SMR disks?

Damned !! my two 4Go HDD are SMR disk...I am not sure to get all the understanding of the articles, but it seems that the issues was when the HDD was added to a raid. If you create a raid (not adding the HDD to an existing  raid) should I expect issues?

After your answer above, I was thinking about a radical solution : since I manage to backup all my data on USB disk, I should remove all te 6 HDD of the NAS, plug each one in the SATA/USB dock and format all of them, reinstall physically the HDD in the NAS and have a fresh install with DSM 6.2.3-25423u2. I shouldn't have to do anything with the USB key with the Jun's loader right?

@6.2. version level that will result in a not working hardware transcoding

I am aware of your work here, but I am not really interested in transcoding so far. That' being said, if i want transcode I should install 6.1 instead? I don't have proper serial number, I need a real one if I want to have a functional transcoding right?

Edited by Goby

12 minutes ago, Goby said:

I have actually the DSM version DSM 6.2.3-25423u2

are you sure? :-)

https://archive.synology.com/download/DSM/release/6.2.3/25426/

https://archive.synology.com/download/DSM/criticalupdate/update_pack/25426-2/

14 minutes ago, Goby said:

Damned !! my two 4Go HDD are SMR disk...I am not sure to get all the understanding of the articles, but it seems that the issues was when the HDD was added to a raid. If you create a raid (not adding the HDD to an existing  raid) should I expect issues?

that's one of the problems than can arise, but i general they are extremely slow (15MB/s) when it comes to write performance and the CMR cache area is full (some GB, depends on the brand and other things) and it will slow down the whole array/volume because the write needs to be confirmed for all disks, extending a array SHR with SMR disks can take weeks with that (i remember a case we had here)

19 minutes ago, Goby said:

all my data on USB disk, I should remove all te 6 HDD of the NAS, plug each one in the SATA/USB dock and format all of them, reinstall physically the HDD in the NAS and have a fresh install with DSM 6.2.3-25423u2. I shouldn't have to do anything with the USB key with the Jun's loader right?

if you have a backup you don't need to do that, you can just delete all volumes and raid pools in DSM and create a new pool with all 6 disks

the system is spread on all disks as raid1 and is independent from your data volumes, only the additional software packages need a volume

21 minutes ago, Goby said:

f i want transcode I should install 6.1 instead? I don't have proper serial number, I need a real one if I want to have a functional transcoding right?

no you just copy the new extra/extra2 to your usb  (that fixes the driver problem) and the serial problem (when using synology software like video station)  can be fixed by this (kudos/κῦδος to @likeadoc for providing and maintaining this)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/24864-transcoding-without-a-valid-serial-number/

if you use plex (with plex pass license), emby (also license needed) or jellyfin (docker, free)  you just need to fix the driver problem with the extra/extra2 so that the /dev/dri devices gets available

Done everything you said quite successfully so far. Thanks a lot for your help.

The last thing wich still doesn't work is the likeadoc patch. Connected in ssh in admin when i send the command :

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/likeadoc/synocodectool-patch/master/patch.sh

Connection is OK but at the end it says "patch.sh : access denied"

image.thumb.png.b5af021d19765bc0e0087f3b5b99fbfc.png