XPEnology Community

Marvell SE 9230 Firmware update for Asrock C2550D4i/C2750D4i

danosimo

I just updated my ASRock C2550D4i Motherboard with the new Marvell SATA FW, wanted to know if anyone else tried it and if things got better as far as the SMART errors (and bad sector messages). I tried to expand my volume before this (on XPEnology 5.1 w/Raid 5) and had all kinds of problems. I am NOT using the 4 SATA II ports yet. My BIOS has always been configured as AHCI and never had trouble with 5x1TB disks installed until the 6th disk (and 7th disk) was added.

Anyone has 8 or more disks on XPEnology 5.1.xx with any of these two Asrock Avoton boards?

I just checked the asrock site and don't see anything new that you mentioned... Do you have a link?

I'm on the 2550 board but I'm not on the latest dsm as that required losing 4 sata ports that I'm not willing to disable. The previous dsm which I'm still on works fine which is why in still on it till the latest version works on our board

Hi every one,

I am a new comer and would like to ask for your help.

I am going to build my first xpenology NAS with Mobo Asrock C25504di and decide to go with DSM 5.0 since it seem to cause no trouble with this mobo so far.

I see some people here as kei78 and Jon_Co experience the same mobo as mine, so could you pls give me some advices/notes that I should notice before building my first NAS using USB method? (My hardware: Mobo Asrock C25504di; RAM Crucial 16GB Kit DDR3/DDR3L-1600MT/s (PC3-12800) DR x8 ECC UDIMM; 3xWD 3T Red HDD)

- What do I need to adjust in the BIOS before install DSM 5.0? (enable or disable something in the BIOS)

- Do I need dit serial number and MAC address for Validity pair of MAC address and serial number in order to activate the work of WOL (Wake on Lan) ? (As in this tutorial: http://xpenology.me/how-to-activate-wol/)

- ... and some other notes that I should follow.

Many thanks.

Hi again,

Yes, the link in the Asrock web page is hard to see. Look here and see within the description of the MB there is a link http://www.asrockrack.com/support/ipmi.asp . it is posted here on the main product page, notice the "To update Marvell SE 9230 FW, please click here" within the specs for the Mother Board as pointed below. Kind of silly to put in in there like that, very easy to miss...

C2550D4I

◦Intel Avoton C2550 Quad-Core Processor

◦DDR3 1600/1333 Dual-channel Max. 64GB UDIMM

◦2 SATA3 6.0Gbps, 4 SATA2 3.0Gbps by C2550

◦4 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s by Marvell SE9230, 2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s by Marvell SE9172 (To update Marvell SE 9230 FW, please click here) <========== LINK HERE!!!!

[/color]◦Dual Intel i210 Gigabit LAN ports (with Teaming function)

◦3 x USB 2.0 ports (2 rear ports + 1 via headers or 1 rear ports + 2 via headers controlled by USB_SEL1 and USB_SEL2 jumper)

◦1 x PCI-E x8 slot

So I have been using the C2550D4i for 1 year with nanoboot/XPEnology and I have always had AHCI mode for the drives, not sure if it applies for 1 SATA controller or all of them, I assume for all of them (Marvell & Intel). I have had 5 x 1TB 2.5in drives in RAID5 working great. I am running 5.1.xx and have had no problems until I wanted to expand my RAID5. I started to get all kinds of SMART errors and BAD sector errors after adding the 6th & 7th drives.

After this I backed out until I see the update. After firmware update I updated to RAID6 with the 6th drive with no problems at all so far. I have also a USB 3.0 PCIE card (1x) and it does the USB backups very fast. Very happy with this board so far!!!!

I almost forgot, the most important, I am NOT using the 4 SATA2 ports so far. I have an 8 bay chassis (U-NAS 8 Bay) so I have no need. I assume also if you have the drives connected to multiples controllers under 1 single software RAID may change things. I have 1 single volume so far with 6x 1TB drives..... RAID6

Thanks danosimi for the link... I completely skimmed over it and I was on that one too!

Here's a question for you, to get on 5.1, did you disable any sata controllers to get dsm 5.1 to work? Initially when I tried, I think like everyone else, you can start the process to install 5.1 but once it's done it hangs when it tries to boot. Guys seemed to disable one of the sata controllers and it seemed to work, but you lose 4 sata ports doing this! How do you have yours set?

So to answer your original question I don't think anyone with this board on dsm5.1 has gone over 8 if they have disabled one of their sata controllers leaving them with the most 8 ports out of 12 since they disabled 4.

TungIT75

As to your questions for dsm 5.0 there is nothing special you need to set in bios, everything just works.

As for WOL, I actually use impi built on board. It does so much more then just WOL and it's one of the reasons we bought this board, so I'm using it both locally and externally to turn on my machine. I use dsm to schedule when my nas turns on and off daily and impi to turn it on, on a as needed basis.

TungIT75

As to your questions for dsm 5.0 there is nothing special you need to set in bios, everything just works.

As for WOL, I actually use impi built on board. It does so much more then just WOL and it's one of the reasons we bought this board, so I'm using it both locally and externally to turn on my machine. I use dsm to schedule when my nas turns on and off daily and impi to turn it on, on a as needed basis.

What does the IMPI has? I'm considering the same board too.

Yea, Like Kei78 said, IPMI is a dedicated LAN that you can use to control the server as if you had a screen-keyboard-mouse remotelly and much more. Like monitor MB resources (temp. Volts, etc), update FW for MB, and other administrator stuff. It is a common function on Server Motherboards, and well worth it for a NAS config.

Back to the initial question, I never disabled any controller, nor did I change SATA settings to IDE. I am running XPEnology 5.1 with AHCI in my BIOS and all SATA controllers ENABLED. I DO NOT have any drives connected to the SATAII ports, so this may be the reason for it working fine. But I had no problems doing a CLEAN install on 5.1 and then restoring my data. Like I said before, when I tried to expand my volume with additional disks well after I upgraded to 5.1, is when trouble started. But after flashing the FW a few days ago I have upgraded my volume with a new disk to RAID6 and no problems at all. I will be adding a new 1TB drive soon, so I will report.

In any case this board is a champ, if you have the money for it :wink:

TungIT75

Oh, thank you very much kei78. I don't know anything about IPMI so I have to learn about it now.

@kei78 and damosino:

- Could you tell me, how do you use the three LAN ports on this MB? (IPMI and 2 other LAN ports). IPMI port is used for management purpose only and other port for data transferring over the network or else? I hope to copy your configuration as I am very poor in IT knowledge.

- Can I manage the whole XPenology setup process via a Laptop connect to this IPMI port? (I mean without monitor, keyboard, or mouse connect directly to this server. In fact, I don't have those things now, and if required, I have to buy in order to setup the xpenology NAS).

Tks

TungIT75,

First to your questions. Yes, you can manage the whole install process from your desktop/Laptop PC without connecting a Screen/Keyboard/Mouse to the XPEnology machine. That is the idea of IPMI, and well beyond that you can enter BIOS for the board using IPMI also, and of course login to the XPEnology command line (as you would on a SSH/Telnet session), you can even MAP a DVD/CD ROM drive from your laptop as if you had it connected to the XPEnology machine to install whatever, I think you can even do this from an ISO file without a DVD/CD Rom at all. So this LAN can only be used for that and will NOT show up in your OS installed (or in XPEnology in our case).

As for the other 2 LAN cards, they can "BOND" together. You can configure this in the Network section of DSM control panel, select both cards and choose Create BOND, then the type of bonding you want as explained forward, that is to make them work together at the same time with the same IP address. This works in two different Bonding modes (you choose);

1. Doubling the effective speed and balancing traffic between the two LAN cards. This is called Link aggregation, under standard IEEE802.3ad. I tis also called EtherChannel with LOAD BALANCING.

2. OR you can use the second LAN as backup, called active/standby in DSM, always connected but only working when the other fails. Say you have two routers and this way if one router fails, the other kicks in.

Otherwise you may use the second LAN as a second interface with different IP address and NO BONDING at all. Say you want to backup over the network to another machine and not use bandwidth from client PCs. This way you can have two different LAN networks for separate things, or simply two IP addresses within the same physical network.

Please note that to be able to use Link aggregation you MUST have a switch that supports it (802.3ad). Most home user switches DO NOT support this (802.3ad), even low end business switches do not support this. You can do failover/backup mode without anything else required. Same for using both LAN cards with different IP addresses, nothing is required.

I hope that helps

Daniel

Hello everyone,

Sorry to dig up this topic.

I can not properly install my Xpenology 5055 ASRock C2550D4I. On the first reboot it hangs = trigger device plug event =.

After searching on the forum, I tried to disable the COM port, without result. I then edit the AHCI> IDE and it works.

By cons I see your side you have all your SATA ports in AHCI and that it works. I do not understand. Can you help me? It may be a version problem?

Bye & thank you.

Anyone try 5.2 yet on this board?

Yes, a made the update from 5.1-5055 to 5.2, every thing work normaly, but only the sata controller does not work, I still have to disable it in bios in order to make the system start.