XPEnology Community

Xpenology on ESXi, very low usage of the cpu, and can't plug USB drives

Nerso

Hi,

I'am a beginner in the Xpenology world. I chose to start by running it in ESXi, installation and everything else was ok thanks to several tutorials here. But I have two little problems now that i'am using this machine daily.

First, when i'am running something pretty heavy on the CPU, like uncompressing huge RAR or ZIP archives, the CPU usage never goes beyond something like 10%.... It's a shame, because I have a 4 cores Intel Core i3...

Secondly, when I want to plug a USB hard drive to move files, I can't find it in DSM. I found a tutorial, explaining to add a USB device in the virtual machine settings, but it doesn't appear in DSM... Any ideas?

Thanks.

Your DSM/XPenology system is not responsible for decompressing RAR or ZIP archives - all it does is serve up the original files to your PC, and your PC does the decompression.  Serving up files is not a particularly taxing operation, thus CPU is commensurately low. Your i3 is more than adequate for the file serving tasks you may give your NAS.

USB on ESXi doesn't work the same way as baremetal hardware.  The device need to be plugged in and explicitly added to the VM prior to booting it.  You will actually see the external HD device in ESXi, not a generic USB port.

You mean with File Station?  That would be uncommon, but if that is how you are doing it, DSM is probably using gzip in the background, which is a single-threaded application.  Synology's version is 1.6 and the current (since 2018) is 1.10, so you can see they aren't too concerned with it.

If you want you can install a multithreaded zip app like pigz and run your heavy zip operations from the shell instead of File Manager.

Il y a 14 heures, flyride a dit :

You mean with File Station?  That would be uncommon, but if that is how you are doing it, DSM is probably using gzip in the background, which is a single-threaded application.  Synology's version is 1.6 and the current (since 2018) is 1.10, so you can see they aren't too concerned with it.

If you want you can install a multithreaded zip app like pigz and run your heavy zip operations from the shell instead of File Manager.

Yes, thank you for the advice. I will check this.