ProLiant ML150 Gen9 - Xeon E5-2603 v3 - CPU won't show all CORES


Recommended Posts

I have an ProLiant ML150 Gen9 whit the CPU Xeon E5-2603 v3 (6 CORE CPU)

Installed with Jun's Mod v1.04b

 

All works perfect except the system only see 1 CORE.

I check if its only in DSM interface but with cat /proc/cpuinfo I see only 1 core too.

 

I look in the forum and I think im the only one with this bug.

 

Some help?

 

image.png.c1d3dacbb4f28112af690062b324a0dd.png

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by keteflips
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IG-88 said:

check the bios, maybe there is a special limit set to only have one core

you could also try to boot e rescue linux from usb to check if it shows the same

 

In linux I can see all the cores fine, its something in the xpenology, im sure.

 

I search in all the forum and I didnt find information about this processor.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, keteflips said:

I search in all the forum and I didnt find information about this processor.

 

older and newer xeon's whrere already used with xpenology, i cant emeber a case where only one core was working

the xeon does not seem to special, haswell gen cpu with 6 cores, not HT

maybe anything useful in dmesg? the cpu should be detected by the kernel and there should be something in the log

 

you could also try older loaders and dsm versions

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IG-88 said:

 

older and newer xeon's whrere already used with xpenology, i cant emeber a case where only one core was working

the xeon does not seem to special, haswell gen cpu with 6 cores, not HT

maybe anything useful in dmesg? the cpu should be detected by the kernel and there should be something in the log

 

you could also try older loaders and dsm versions

 

 

 

Maybe this? I cant evaluate the problem.

 

[    0.029568] smpboot: CPU0: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2603 v3 @ 1.60GHz (family: 0x6, model: 0x3f, stepping: 0x2)
[    0.029588] Performance Events: PEBS fmt2+, 16-deep LBR, Haswell events, full-width counters, Broken BIOS detected, complain to your hardware vendor.
[    0.029598] [Firmware Bug]: the BIOS has corrupted hw-PMU resources (MSR 38d is 330)
[    0.029599] Intel PMU driver.
[    0.029602] ... version:                3
[    0.029603] ... bit width:              48
[    0.029604] ... generic registers:      8
[    0.029605] ... value mask:             0000ffffffffffff
[    0.029606] ... max period:             00007fffffffffff
[    0.029607] ... fixed-purpose events:   3
[    0.029608] ... event mask:             00000007000000ff
[    0.035589] x86: Booted up 1 node, 1 CPUs
[    0.035592] smpboot: Total of 1 processors activated (3196.31 BogoMIPS)
[    0.038034] NMI watchdog: enabled on all CPUs, permanently consumes one hw-PMU counter.
[    0.038134] devtmpfs: initialized

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

latest bios?

os in bios set to "other os" (not windows)?

 

did you change anything in grub.cfg in the area of kernel boot parameters?

set extra_args_*=

set common_args_*=

set sata_args=

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

latest bios?

os in bios set to "other os" (not windows)?

 

did you change anything in grub.cfg in the area of kernel boot parameters?

set extra_args_*=

set common_args_*=

set sata_args=

 

 

Yes, it is the last bios, because it took me a lot to get it, since HP does not make it easy.

I look in the bios if the option "other os" exists.

 

No, in the kernel boot parameters I didnt change anything.

 

I try to boot with 1.03b but I does not work :(

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IG-88 said:

you are aware it needs CSm mode? (and the non uefi usb boot device seleced for booting)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

 

maybe try 1.02b for testing it that one boots with uefi and csm

 

OK, im so stupid, I didnt change the bios to legacy.

Now it works perfect with 1.03b.

 

A lot of thanks :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, keteflips said:

Now it works perfect with 1.03b.

and the cpu cores all showing up now without any other changes in bios?

3615/17 use a older kernel (3.10.x vs 4.4.x) but there should not be such difference

but if it works you won't loose anything as 918+ main thing is M.2 nvme support and i915 (intel qsv) driver based hardware transcoding, your hardware does not have this

shr raid support can be activated after installing on 3615/17 (-> faq)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/24/2020 at 7:35 PM, IG-88 said:

and the cpu cores all showing up now without any other changes in bios?

3615/17 use a older kernel (3.10.x vs 4.4.x) but there should not be such difference

but if it works you won't loose anything as 918+ main thing is M.2 nvme support and i915 (intel qsv) driver based hardware transcoding, your hardware does not have this

shr raid support can be activated after installing on 3615/17 (-> faq)

 

Yes, mi hardware does not have transcoding.

I dont change nothing in the bios.

Works flawless, all cores, and no problems.

 

I dont use SHR now, but Its good to know :)

 

Edited by keteflips
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.