XPEnology Community

Harddisk Allocation Question

JSLIM

Question

Hi All,

Slightly lengthy post, please pardon me and thank you in advance for reading.

I had installed DSM6.2.1 with Synology 918+ successfully on VMWare Workstation.

Actual Synology 918+ is able to plug in 02 x M.2 2280 NVMe SSDs (Cache) and 04 x SATA (Storage)

My current setup 02 x 2TB SATA is presented to the VM as Physical Disk.

Physical Setup:

------------------

|--SATA00-OS---| = Slot 1

|--BLANK--------| = Slot 2

|--SATA02-2TB--| = Slot 3

|--SATA03-2TB--| = Slot 4

------------------

However in my XPEnology it is shown as below:

Disk1 - 50MB - SynBoot (Understandable as it is mounted as a SATA presented to the VM)

Disk2 - Empty

Disk3 - Empty

Disk4 - Empty

Disk5 - 2TB

Disk6 - 2TB

Disk7 - Empty

Disk8 - Empty

Synology Storage Manager:

SYN.JPG.912d611c963ba91d2462ccb4b59283d4.JPG

I have two question:

01 - Any other way not to show Disk1 other than using a physical USB Thumbdrive.

02 - I am planning install and plug in 01 x M2 NVME for my OS thus freeing up Slot 1, then add in 02 x 2TB new hdd, so where will my new 02 x 2TB reflect in XPEnology?

03 - Synology 918+ is a 4 Bay NAS, why is it showing 13 Disks?

Thanks.

Regards

JS

4 answers to this question

Off the top of my head - I can't answer your questions directly or rather in detail. But I can say with confidence that there is a thread that discusses the appearance of the bootloader in ESXi and what to do about it (same will be true for Workstation) and also one many where the enumeration of the attached drives is discussed.

Search and you will find.

On 10/22/2020 at 8:36 AM, JSLIM said:

01 - Any other way not to show Disk1 other than using a physical USB Thumbdrive.

did you use a separate sata controller for the boot media?

virtual usb device?

also why bother, is just cosmetics

02 - I am planning install and plug in 01 x M2 NVME for my OS thus freeing up Slot 1, then add in 02 x 2TB new hdd, so where will my new 02 x 2TB reflect in XPEnology

i guess a misunderstanding on your side how all this works

- dsm is creating a system and swap partition in EVERY disk and all these partitions are in a raid1 set (/dev/md0, dev/md1, try a "cat /proc/mdstat" on the command line)

maybe (e?) read the faq

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/9392-general-faq/?do=findComment&comment=86731

- in dsm m.2 nvme can only be used as cache, if you present it to the system as nvme then its not usable as system disk at all, you would need to present it as rdm sata device (or as simple virtual disk that resides on the vmfs volume of the nvme)

don't worry about slot1 or any slot at all, its cosmetics, as long as there are slots available there is no problem

what looks unusual is that your disks have a gap between the 1st and the other two, how is the controller layout in the vm?

(but not anything that needs fixing imho)

03 - Synology 918+ is a 4 Bay NAS, why is it showing 13 Disks?

already answered above  but as it seem new to you you might want to read this as base knowledge

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/