XPEnology Community

XPEnology on Intel NUC - NUC7CJYH

emailme0909

Hi Guys,

I am trying to setup Xpenology on NUC7CJYH. I just cannot get IP address.

So far I have tried Jun's Loader

V1.03b ds3615 and ds3617 (Not Obtaining IP Address)

V1.04b ds918 (Not Obtaining IP Address)

I have written correct VID-PID, serial no & MAC while creating boot USB (tried on 2 different USB sticks). I have also disabled Audio, Wifi & Bluetooth in BIOS. But it just does't get an IP.

Is there anything specific I have to do to make it work?

Intel NUC7CJYH Specs.

Processor: J4005 celeron dual-core

Ethernet: Realtek 8111H-CG

Edited by emailme0909

Solved. Used the following files

• Jun's loader version 1.04b for 918+ from here.
  • extra.lzmaextra2.lzma for loader 1.04b ds918+ DSM 6.2.3 v0.12.1  from this post.   (file name: extra918plus_v0.12.1.zip)
  • rd.gz & zimage files from DSM_DS918+_25426.pat (download from synology website -open & extract these 2 files using 7zip)
  • XPEnology Tool from here.

Hope it helps someone.

Special thanks to the guru IG-88. You are the best!

Edited by emailme0909
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Ready image

Above is the ready image with all the files. Just mount the image & change the vid & pid to match your USB drive. Create your bootable USB and boot.

If find.synology.com cant find the DSM, Login to your modem & see of any new IP has been assigned. That would be your DSM.

The file link will expire in a few days so download it.

Edited by emailme0909

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Alucard24 said:

How did you attach hdd?What kind of raid do you use?Does everything work?Can you reupload the image?

Here is the file. Just update VID & PID to match your USB stick.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5qmp4zyxv44rs8s/synoboot.img?dl=0

I took a different approach this time as I wanted a smaller sized NAS. No RAID. Just normal backup. NUC has only 1 sata port so I installed a  hard drive (laptop size hard drive) in it. I bought a new HDD so it lasts a few years without any dramas. I had 10tb external hard drive which I attached as external USB drive. Every night NUC gets backed up to the external HDD. Once a week a full NUC back up goes to cloud. This way I have off site backup & daily on site backups. I use hyper backup from Synology.

Edited by emailme0909

Thank tou very much for the image upload and the explanation.Yours is a cool approach but do you think I can adapt 2 or 4 bays in this nuc?If the answer is yes can you suggest me some product?Xpenology works like a real synology with also btrfs support?Is Docker installable?Thank you very much for your help and forgive me for all these questions.

101508.png

Cheaper to get a proper PC than add 4 bays to NUC. (attaching hardware to NUC would be expensive). Docker works fine(must have intel cpu made in last 5 years), btrfs works.

What are you trying to do? Is it for home use or something bigger like a few people streaming HD videos, running mid/heavy websites, a lot more people sharing files on it etc.

1. If you're in a Developed country, buy a proper Synology NAS. it lasts 5-7 years easy - it will probably be worth it.

2. Xpenology works fine (same as original synology), but some things don't work, like push notifications for chat program as they require Synology servers to work. Also, upgrades are not available right away-takes a few months, but if your system is working fine & is protected well, you don't need to upgrade right away)

3. If you buy a NAS, make sure it has Intel CPU and if you wish to run Docker, have 4GB ram (is the ram upgradable? is an important question before buying).

4. IF you know your EXACT needs, then Xpenology works fine (second hand PC with i3 processor + 4Gb ram was good enough for me- i had it running for 4 years. then i bought NUC). My needs are file sharing on local network, file access from anywhere, file sync (Synology Drive) from five PCs, running docker images, 5 websites, email server, music & video streaming to my TV and home automation. For this usage NUC does the trick (celeron processor+8GB ram).

Edited by emailme0909

Lol...USA, UK, Germany, NZ, Australia etc. where wages are good. Developing countries have ******* wages. I was paid $800 a month to setup, repair and update POS systems and it was considered 'fine pay'. then I moved to a developed country & ******* they pay well! In the same profession -doing the same *******, they pay me $6000+expenses+car a month. 

Edited by emailme0909

13 hours ago, emailme0909 said:

101508.png

Cheaper to get a proper PC than add 4 bays to NUC. (attaching hardware to NUC would be expensive). Docker works fine(must have intel cpu made in last 5 years), btrfs works.

What are you trying to do? Is it for home use or something bigger like a few people streaming HD videos, running mid/heavy websites, a lot more people sharing files on it etc.

1. If you're in a Developed country, buy a proper Synology NAS. it lasts 5-7 years easy - it will probably be worth it.

2. Xpenology works fine (same as original synology), but some things don't work, like push notifications for chat program as they require Synology servers to work. Also, upgrades are not available right away-takes a few months, but if your system is working fine & is protected well, you don't need to upgrade right away)

3. If you buy a NAS, make sure it has Intel CPU and if you wish to run Docker, have 4GB ram (is the ram upgradable? is an important question before buying).

4. IF you know your EXACT needs, then Xpenology works fine (second hand PC with i3 processor + 4Gb ram was good enough for me- i had it running for 4 years. then i bought NUC). My needs are file sharing on local network, file access from anywhere, file sync (Synology Drive) from five PCs, running docker images, 5 websites, email server, music & video streaming to my TV and home automation. For this usage NUC does the trick (celeron processor+8GB ram).

I looked at the nuc cause I can have it for 100 dollars and it’s an already assembled device, I was looking for something already built and prepared, I thought I could attach a 4 bays dock to the nuc, I could also build an xpenology mini pc but I really don’t know what to buy and how to build it to have the perfect compatibility.I don’t care about chat notifications, I want something to archieve all my data and sync between my devices, it should have raid capability and act like download station and some light virtualization, I want also transfer all my photos and videos and have them organized.Synology nas with intel and 4 bays in my country costs around 500 dollars and it’s too much for what they give, I could pay them 300 dollars but I can’t find anything at that price except arm nas with really basic functions.If you think that nuc is not a good idea with 4 HDDs can you suggest me some cheap build that works without any compatibility problem?

Edited by Alucard24

12 hours ago, emailme0909 said:

Lol...USA, UK, Germany, NZ, Australia etc. where wages are good. Developing countries have ******* wages. I was paid $800 a month to setup, repair and update POS systems and it was considered 'fine pay'. then I moved to a developed country & ******* they pay well! In the same profession -doing the same *******, they pay me $6000+expenses+car a month. 

Wages in my country are like the firsts you said, I’m thinking about relocating abroad, can I know where did you live before and where you live now?Feel free to not answer if you don’t want 

• 10 months later...