XPEnology Community

NAS freezing when transfer 15GB+ data

MaZeeT

Hey..

When I am transferring data like a season of a serie to my NAS from my desktop it freeze up and need to be rebooted on the case...

I loss connection to every and will not reconnect before the NAS has been reset... I can't access the web-gui, transmission or shared folders...

I hope you will be able to help me troubleshoot this error so I can get a great working system =)

I have google around which suggest a fault power supply or hard drive.. But I will love to get inputs from my fellow XPEnology users.

My system (bare-metal)

-----------------------------------------

DSM-Version: DSM 5.1-5022 Update 5

Motherboard: Asrock Q1900-ITX

RAM: Corsair Value DDR3 2x4GB

Power Supply: 430 Watt Corsair CX430M

Harddrives: 4x WD Red WD40EFRX 4TB

Extra: A PCIe card with 4 sata ports (Will have to look up the model)

Do you have access to DSM console still or does that hang too? If so, login as root and check DMESG for any errors.

I have an issue with the NIC hanging on my Asrock c2750d4i.

I usually run the following command to see it: dmesg -T | tail -100 | more

Do you have access to DSM console still or does that hang too? If so, login as root and check DMESG for any errors.

I have an issue with the NIC hanging on my Asrock c2750d4i.

I usually run the following command to see it: dmesg -T | tail -100 | more

I am kind of a rookie to linux based systems.. but I have not tried to access the NAS by SSH'ing if you mean that with DSM console.. I will try to test it, but I do not think I will get access since I can not access it an other way... I will be back with my results.. Thanks a lot of the input =)

------------------------------

Hello!

I have the same issue!!

Have you solved your problem?

Thank you,

Adrian

I have not solved the problem yet... I will let you know if I do =)

When I loss access to my NAS, all of my transfer stops... direct copy or encoding to the NAS do not matter, the connection is lost...

I run the 4 drives in SHR-1 which is more or less raid5

Sadly I have not had much time to test the SSH stuff today since my router broke when I started testing. :sad:

I am kind of a rookie to linux based systems.. but I have not tried to access the NAS by SSH'ing if you mean that with DSM console.. I will try to test it, but I do not think I will get access since I can not access it an other way... I will be back with my results.. Thanks a lot of the input =)

I have a direct connected usb keyboard and the vga output hooked up to a monitor. If the issue is the NIC, then SSH wouldn't work. Does your IPMI still work? A solution that works for some people is to enable network bonding and set it to eth1. Sadly, that solution didn't work for me.

i had similar issues ..

the solution was the ram.. well solution and problem..

fix... new ram

now i haven't had a single issues..

That will be worth a try.. Got a 3 year old laptop I can steal the RAM from for testing.. Thanks a lot for the input.. :smile:

Heat can be an issue .. I have overclocked i5 2500k which runs hot, and I was finding occasional network droputs etc. I finally figured out the heat was spreading around and when the motherboard NIC got hot enough it would cut out. fairly randomly. It was solved when I got better case ventilation. Not obvious at all.

G1610T

Heat can be an issue .. I have overclocked i5 2500k which runs hot, and I was finding occasional network droputs etc. I finally figured out the heat was spreading around and when the motherboard NIC got hot enough it would cut out. fairly randomly. It was solved when I got better case ventilation. Not obvious at all.

G1610T

The board comes with the CPU under a passive heatsink and I do not overclock the CPU.. Synology report a temp of 40-42°C so I do not think it is heat... I do have the only fan at the motherboard room in a exhaust configuration, so might be worth it to change it to a intake fan...

Thanks for your input :smile:

G1610T

The board comes with the CPU under a passive heatsink and I do not overclock the CPU.. Synology report a temp of 40-42°C so I do not think it is heat... I do have the only fan at the motherboard room in a exhaust configuration, so might be worth it to change it to a intake fan...

Thanks for your input :smile:

The temp that DSM reports either isn't accurate, or isn't the CPU temp. It might be another motherboard sensor... mine always reads ~40C. I've got a fancy server motherboard, and I can read the real CPU temp via a web browser, and it doesn't correlate at all.