XPEnology Community

Volume problem after migration

spwoof

Question

I have a huge problem ...
After I migrated my ds3617 to version 25426.
After restarting the synology it returned with volume failure.
Since I had no problems with hard drives and I noticed that 3 hard drives did not go into volume when the system went up?
Is there any way to get my volume back to normal.
I have a lot of data in the system.

4 answers to this question

2 hours ago, spwoof said:

After I migrated my ds3617 to version 25426.
After restarting the synology it returned with volume failure.

you do not write much about the way you migrated, your hardware,  number of disks, ...

so gazing int my crystal ball i'd say 12 disks is the default when updating with a big dsm update (200-300MB *.pat file)

whats the onboard and added controller(s)? even with 12 disks it can happen thats disks are beyond the 12 boundary when the position on the controllers is "wrong"

like when having 6 onboard and a 8 port controller its 14 ports and 2 ports will "outside" the default amount, no problem with 12 disks and the disks on the right position

either you had set the default count manually higher then 12 or the drives got repositioned for some reason and are not beyond 12

did you change anything in your synoinfo.conf with the "old" version you used?

beside dmesg it might be usefull to see the output of "cat /proc/mdstat"

• Like 1

Hi IG-88

Thanks a lot for your message.

I have only 10hds... 5 on motherboard + 5 on controller.

I was actually planning to migrate from shr1 to shr2.
So I went to check the raid configuration and the migration was gray. However, I made the settings in synoinfo.conf to reactivate SHR before installing DSM and everything was ok.
However today when I went to check the raid to migrate it was gray and I updated synoinfo.conf again in version 25426. I reinitialized DSM and after that it went into migration mode.
I was only able to raise the DSM by reinstalling PAT 25423 and after I entered the DSM it had the volume locked and 3 harddisk out of the volume.
I built my computer only for the NAS with spare parts and it was working perfectly since April / 20.

thank you very much!!!!!

I tried to access the volume via ubuntu ...
I managed to access it as shown in the attached image.
However I would love to get my DSM system back to normal.
Maybe change some setting to restore the volume to normal.
But I don't know how, not even if it is possible now that the volume is broken.

Thank you very much!

1603057844653.jpg

16 hours ago, spwoof said:

I have a lot of data in the system.

12 hours ago, spwoof said:

I tried to access the volume via ubuntu ...
I managed to access it as shown in the attached image.

if you can access your date you might start making a backup before doing anything else and maybe make it worth with any repair attempts

as long as the reason for fails are not clear its not a good choice to take any action, usually data recovery is a read only thing with the original disks, you try to prevent any further changes so you might start more then one attempt to find a solution

you still did not write any useful information a asked for

afaik the 3615/17 can handle shr when present an disks, the options in synoinfo.conf will only add the ability to create/extend shr volumes

so whatever hapend must be something else, guessing is not the right way for data recovery

if you want your data back then take what you have now and do a backup

you already started changing things with the attempt to access it with ubuntu, that does not help you with dsm, might even make things worse, at least one disks seems still be "missing" as ubuntu had one missing in md2 and md3, might be one big disk that has data from both raid sets

anyway, BACKUP NOW!!!

• Like 1